Chapter 6

The weight of a decision

Sorry this took longer than I thought it would to post - I don't have any excuses, I'm just lazy ;) please review! I like hearing your thoughts on the story :)

Groaning, Seungri decided to bury his head under his duvet and pretend this wasn't happening. If he ignored it, it would go away, right? This seemed to work for a few minutes - he was warm, and he was on the verge of sleep when his door opened suddenly and made him jump. A body jumped on top of him, and he felt all the air rush out of his lungs as he was crushed. For a brief second his still-sleepy mind was confused - although he had been certain of where he was, this was behaviour that he typically would have received from his hyungs.

The crushing weight on his chest quickly removed itself, however, and Taemin's giggles could be heard through his duvet. Despite his attempts to keep himself covered with his duvet, he was eventually exposed to the cold air of his room. Taemin playfully patted his face, and told him to get up for breakfast. Seungri carefully pushed him off - not out of concern for the younger man, but because if he tried to move quickly he would be even more sore than he was. Taemin pouted at him, and thankfully left the room.

Seungri sat up very slowly and stretched. As much as he wished he could simply go back to sleep, he knew that if he didn't, the others would simply bully him into it. Having Taemin be the one to get him up was the kindest option really - Kibum had simply ripped the covers off him and shouted at him to get up when he had woken him up. Seungri winced as he stood up, as the movement made his head hurt more. He began to hunt through the drawers in the furniture in this room, hoping that there would be painkillers somewhere. He didn't find any in all the drawers he looked through, although he did find one drawer dedicated to video games, and another filled with various photos of Daesung, which Seungri found slightly suspicious, as he couldn't think of any reason why this world's version of him would have any particular affiliation with Daesung. He also found a book which was shut with a padlock. He tried to see if he could open it by himself, but it was tightly shut, and there wasn't a key in the drawer it was found in. Shrugging, he put it back in the drawer. It probably wasn't important.

He didn't have the time to ponder over this, however, as his futile hunt for painkillers had taken more time than he had anticipated, he simply had to grab the first clothes he found to wear. Walking out to the kitchen, he saw that all the others were already eating. Mentally groaning, he went to sit at the spare seat, which thankfully had a portion of food on it already. He blindly began to eat it, barely tasting it in his haste to eat as quickly as possible. He noticed Jonghyun looking at him almost concernedly, and he asked through a mouthful of food, “waddyou wan'?” Jonghyun quickly looked down at his own food and replied, “nothing.”

Jonghyun didn't say anything else while they were eating, but Seungri caught him looking at him with an odd expression several times. They quickly got ready to go to practice, and Seungri found himself dreading it due to how much his body hurt from his drinking session last night. He knew that for today, dancing would be no fun at all.

**

It was finally the end of practice, and Seungri couldn't be more glad to sit down. At the start of the session, once he'd stretched out some, it hadn't been so bad, but as time went on he found that he simply did not have the energy reserves to dance well, and his muscles felt like they were burning. As he slumped against the wall, he felt Minho lean against him, and he leant back, glad for the extra support.

They sat like that for a few minutes, simply enjoying the relaxation. Seungri then felt someone sit down on his other side, and his eyes fluttered open – he hadn't even noticed that they were closed – and he turned to see who it was. Jonghyun was sat there, and Seungri wondered whether he would explain the meaning of his strange looks that he had been giving him. Seungri waited for Jonghyun to begin speaking, and eventually, he asked, “why have you been walking so oddly today, Seunghyun?” In his tired, relaxed stupor, Seungri began to answer, “well I was-” before realising that he couldn't possibly tell Jonghyun that he had been out clubbing, because if no time had passed here while he was gone, he should definitely have had a normal night in last night. “I must have slept in an odd position last night,” he answered with a weak laugh. Jonghyun's eyes narrowed as though he didn't believe Seungri's excuse, but he didn't push for a better answer, which was all Seungri really needed.

Seungri decided to simply enjoy his rest. He could feel Jonghyun's eyes on him, but he didn't want to give away any more than he may have already done, and so he kept his head carefully angled towards Minho.

The evening that they spent together was quieter than others that they had had during the time Seungri had been there. They watched three movies in succession in silence, simply allowing themselves to relax in the knowledge that they had another performance tomorrow. Seungri could only hope that he would feel better tomorrow, as he knew he wouldn't be able to perform very well if his muscles were as tight and stiff as they had been while trying to dance today.

**

Seungri walked off the stage with s behind him. They had just performed well, and Seungri found himself becoming proud of being part of this group. He may not have the bond with them that he had with the members of Bigbang, or that they had with the real Seungri of this world, but as he watched them talk and laugh together as they walked, he felt fond of them.

He felt an arm wrap around his shoulders, and he turned to see Jonghyun grinning at his side. “You seem to be doing better today,” he said, smirking slightly. Seungri laughed and jabbed his elbow into Jonghyun's side. “You didn't do too badly yourself,” he teased. They slowed down their walking, and Kibum overtook them. “You know, Seunghyun,” Jonghyun began, “I don't think I've seen you dance so well in a while. What changed?” Seungri raised his eyebrows. The Seungri from this world hadn't been dancing so well? That was odd, he couldn't imagine himself not being into dancing. “I don't know,” he answered truthfully, “I suppose I just remembered how much I love it. In fact,” he continued without thinking about it, “I almost feel like a new man.” Jonghyun laughed, and Seungri was glad that he didn't know how true that actually was.

Up ahead, Seungri could see Kibum talking to some girls that he didn't recognise, and as he and Jonghyun walked closer, he could hear them talking in Japanese. They soon reached them, and Kibum went to introduce them. “Seunghyun, Jonghyun, these are my friends, Haruka and Emiko.” Seungri and Jonghyun bowed, and politely introduced themselves in Japanese. Since Kibum had stopped talking, there was then an awkward silence, which Seungri, as always, felt the urge to fill. “So,” he began in Japanese, “what are you two here in Korea for?” He listened politely to their responses, something to do with work, a pineapple and meeting Kibum in a club. He then went on to ask, “were you watching our performance? Did you like it?” One of them replied enthusiastically, “we were watching! I particularly enjoyed your parts,” she added with a flirtatious smile. Seungri smiled back, enjoying her praise. It was only when he looked away from the girls – who, admittedly, were very good looking – that he noticed both Kibum and Jonghyun looking at him with odd expressions. Thinking that something must be wrong, he quickly finished up his conversation with the girls, and Jonghyun took his shoulder as they dragged him away.

Seungri wondered what he could possibly have done wrong now. He hadn't said anything wrong had he? He was confident in his abilities in Japanese, and after mentally going over the conversation, he couldn't remember any point at which he had made a mistake. He was led to a quiet corner of a room in the building, with Kibum looking rather confused.

Seunghyun,” he began, “I don't remember your Japanese being as good as you just showed,” he said, crossing his arms. Seungri fidgeted with the bottom of his shirt. “I've been practicing?” he answered, not sure if that was an answer which would sate Kibum. Unfortunately, this seemed to only confuse Kibum even more, and his lips twisted downwards into a frown. “But Seunghyun,” said Jonghyun, “didn't you say last year that you found Japanese really difficult to learn? And that you didn't want to go near it again unless you had to?” Seungri's fingers froze. This was a bigger mess than he had thought. If the real Seunghyun of this world had said that he didn't want to speak Japanese, then presumably he shouldn't have been able to speak it as well as he just did.

He struggled to come up with an answer as Kibum and Jonghyun looked at him expectantly. Before Seungri said anything, Jonghyun sighed, and said, “you've been acting really weirdly lately, Seunghyun. I hope you stop it soon.” He motioned to Kibum, and they left him alone. Jonghyun's words left him feeling rather empty. He really felt like he was becoming friends with these people, and he had been able to joke around with Jonghyun earlier. His head hung low as he began to walk towards the exit and to where the cars were. This was his biggest mistake so far.

It was later, when he was in bed, that he realised just how different he and this other version of himself were. Perhaps pretending to be someone that was him but not him would be rather more difficult than he previously thought.