Chapter 17

The weight of a decision

Look who finally got round to updating! I blame Bigbang's comeback for distracting me this week ;) anyway, enjoy, and please comment and let me know what you think :)

 

Seungri woke up feeling like all his muscles had turned to stone. Everything hurt; his legs, his stomach, his head. He attempted to move, and his neck twinged and pulled as he lifted his head up. There was a weight on him preventing him from moving much though, and he looked down to see Taemin draped over his chest. He was drooling slightly on Seungri, and looked about as comfortable as Seungri felt.

Seungri pushed on Taemin's shoulder lightly with vague intentions of getting up, causing him to stir. Without so much as opening his eyes, he groaned, clearly in a similar position as Seungri. He didn't move at all though, choosing to stay slumped over Seungri for the time being. Abandoning plans of getting up, Seungri stayed sat down, subtly trying to shift himself around to get rid of the numbness in his legs.

Just as he began to actually feel somewhat comfortable, Jonghyun walked into the room. He didn't even react to seeing Seungri and Taemin cuddled up on the sofa, and went about making his breakfast. Nevertheless, it made Seungri want to get up all the more, and so he carefully pushed Taemin off of him. Taemin didn't even wake up, continuing to sleep a probably-more-comfortable lying down position.

He was glad he had done, since as he walked into the kitchen his stomach rumbled loudly. Jonghyun turned to smirk at him, and silently offered Seungri a bite of his food. Seungri reluctantly took it - he should probably make his own, but he was so hungry.

Turning back to look at Taemin, Seungri realised that Kibum had come in and was sitting in the spot that Seungri had just vacated. Taemin seemed to have woken up a bit, and was blushing at whatever Kibum was saying to him. Seungri decided to get on with making himself food, and ignore the potentially embarrassing things being said about him by Kibum.

"So, Seungri, how are you feeling this morning?" Seungri's eyes widened, and he felt his blood run cold for a second. How could Kibum know about - oh. Right. He'd drunk so much last night, and he'd tried to tell them.... everything. Including his real stage name. Hopefully they wouldn't think he was crazy again.

"Right, what's it like to 'not be from here'?" Taemin asked, laughing. Seungri laughed too, nervously. Of all the ways he could have chosen to describe what was going on, that was the way he'd done it. He didn't even mention the words parallel universe. "You know I was really drunk when I said that, right guys?"

"Of course we knew that, did you think we hadn't noticed? You were completely -" Jonghyun coughing not very subtly cut Kibum off, which Seungri was grateful for. "What exactly are we referencing here?" Jonghyun asked. Of course, he hadn't been around last night to witness Seungri's embarrassing word vomit. Seungri decided to remain silent - he wasn't going to admit to anything that he didn't have to.

Fortunately - or unfortunately - Taemin was there to fill Jonghyun in. "Last night Seunghyun came home pretty drunk, and he spun a tale about being from another universe again. I guess that idea really went to his head." Kibum also jumped into humiliating Seungri. "Plus he insisted that we call him Seungri instead of Seunghyun. I wonder where he could have got that from?"

Jonghyun laughed. "Really? Seungri was the name you came up with?" Seungri pouted. "What's wrong with that?" He asked. He didn't even get a reply from the others, who were too busy laughing at him.

Kibum began to look at Seungri with a curious expression on his face. "Why exactly were you so drunk last night, Seunghyun?" He asked.

"I did tell you last night, you know. You shouldn't disbelieve everything I say when I'm drunk," Seungri huffed. Kibum looked slightly confused for a few seconds, before he seemed to remember what Seungri was talking about. "The friend that you said was a rapper?" Kibum clarified. Seungri simply nodded.

"We... met up last night, and drank a bit together. I guess maybe I had too much." Seungri explained. Kibum and Jonghyun nodded, but Taemin continued to smirk. "Well that doesn't mean that it was necessarily a bad thing - I for one quite enjoyed seeing you have so much fun!"

Jonghyun laughed loudly at that, and Seungri wasn't sure whether he was laughing at the comment or at him. Either way, he decided to stop the teasing, as they had a music show to get ready to go to.

He walked through the living room, reaching over to lightly hit Taemin on the head for being mean to him. This only made Taemin and Jonghyun laugh more, so he reminded them that they needed to get ready too - one of the few times when he truly felt like he was the leader of this group, which he usually didn't.

**

As Seungri and the other members of SHINee waited backstage for it to be their turn, they watched those who were onstage before them. It happened to be Starshine who were on, and they were performing a ballad, as usual. This of course meant that all of s had to elbow him constantly, just in case he'd forgotten that the man he was supposed to have a crush on was up there.

"Wow, doesn't Seungri look good up there?"

"I bet you wish he was singing that to you!"

"Don't you want to be up there with him?"

While Seungri did enjoy seeing his friend again, his sides were beginning to hurt by the time they were due to go on, and he found himself relieved when Daesung came off stage. He quickly forgot about it though in the whole rigmarole of getting everything ready for performing, and he focussed himself on giving a good performance for the fans who were cheering for them in the audience.

Once they were done, they went back to their dressing room to change back into more normal clothes. Almost before he was done changing, Seungri was grabbed by Taemin and told that he needed to accompany Taemin while he went to the toilet. Seungri didn't bother to complain as he was dragged out of the dressing room; he knew he didn't have a choice.

As they walked, Taemin chatted happily to him. "I swear I almost fell at one point when I was up there. Can you believe it? It would have been so embarrassing if I had, it would have been over all the news sites. Don't you think it's weird how we can practice for so long before we make our comeback, yet we still make mistakes like that still? Honestly, you'd think we hadn't been debuted for eight years now..."

Seungri could have sworn he didn't remember the toilets being so far away, with the amount of talking Taemin managed to do in the time it took them to walk there. Seungri decided to wait outside in the corridor while Taemin went in, if only to give his ears a rest for a minute. He didn't mind listening to Taemin talk, but it could sometimes get slightly excessive.

Seungri leaned against the wall, as his legs were beginning to get tired, and watched all the people hurrying past him. He'd just closed his eyes for a second, when he felt someone tugging on his arm. Almost before he could even open his eyes again, he was pulled upright and away from the wall.

Kibum was the one who had disturbed Seungri, and he was giggling as he dragged Seungri through the corridors of the building. Seungri's multiple attempts at asking where he was being taken were all shushed, and oddly enough Seungri found himself getting almost excited, wondering what was in store for him.

Eventually he saw Minho's back, and he figured that they were heading for him. It seemed as though he was talking to someone, although Minho was standing in the way of seeing who it was. Kibum's giggling got more intense the closer they got. "Trust me, you're going to love this," was the only hint that Kibum gave him.

As they got closer, Seungri began to think that the voice of the person Minho was talking to sounded oddly familiar. Eventually they reached Minho, and Kibum dragged him in front of someone that he hadn't expected to see up close in this universe.

"Oh, hello Daesung sunbae." His eyes widened slightly at the surprise of seeing him unexpectedly, which Kibum seemed to pick up on. Out of the corner of his eye, Seungri thought he saw Kibum hide a giggle behind his hand, but if he did it was quick. Seungri wasn't too bothered about actually seeing Daesung though. It might have been someone that he hadn't expected to see, but it was still someone that he'd spent a significant portion of his life around.

Daesung smiled at him. "Hello, Seunghyun-ssi. Minho-ssi here was just telling me that you're a big fan of mine?" Daesung said kindly. Seungri answered as he would if he was just talking to the version of Daesung that he was friends with. "I am, I've enjoyed your music for a long time. You're a good singer, and so is Hyunseung."

Kibum looked shocked, and slightly disappointed. Daesung, on the other hand, seemed pleased at his response. "You think so? Thank you, you're a good singer too, and so are the rest of your members." This seemed to cheer up Kibum, and made Minho happy as well.

Seungri saw Taemin walk up to them and stand beside Kibum, but he paid no attention to him, being more interested in talking to Daesung for the time being. "Thank you, Daesung sunbae, that means a lot coming from you." Daesung simply smiled, but Seungri couldn't stop himself from talking more. "So what's it like being just a duo? I imagine it's quite different from being in a group," Seungri asked.

Daesung laughed. "I think it is, although I've never been in a bigger group, so I can't say for sure. I'm definitely very close to Hyunseung though. Are you close to your members? I'd think it would be difficult to be very close to all of them." Seungri found himself nodding.

"I am close to them, although I'm definitely more close to some than others." Seungri realised as he spoke that he didn't know which group he was talking about; his answer could apply to either group.

Daesung nodded again, and Seungri was hit with the realisation that although Daesung was being perfectly nice to him, for Daesung Seungri was simply another member of a group younger than his own that admired him. There was no reason for this encounter to stick in Daesung's mind, whereas in comparison this was an important meeting for Seungri to assess what Daesung was like here.

Daesung looked behind Seungri as someone shouted his name. "Ah, I think I have to go now. It was nice talking to you, Seunghyun." And with that, he walked past them and away to wherever his manager was taking him next, turning around to give a small wave and a smile as he went.

Once Daesung was out of sight, Kibum turned to Seungri. "What was that?" He asked, sounding shocked. Seungri tried to shrug and move away, but Minho caught his shoulder and kept him in place. "No, really, how did you manage that? Usually whenever you get within ten metres of Seungri you get all stammery, I've never seen you act so composed around him before!"

Seungri shrugged again. "It wasn't that difficult, he's just a person like the rest of us. As you pointed out, I like him a lot." Seungri didn't think that he'd said that much, but whatever he'd said caused Taemin to walk away looking tense. Taemin hadn't even said anything the whole time they were with Daesung, and Seungri wondered if he was okay.

Kibum didn't look convinced, but he didn't push it any further. Seungri hoped that he hadn't made anything bad by not pretending that he was in love with Daesung like he supposedly was. He really needed these people to believe that he was who he said he was - he cared about them a lot.

The three of them walked back to the dressing room to pick up their things, Kibum and Minho walking in front of Seungri. He could hear them talking, but he couldn't hear what they were talking. Judging by the occasional glances they sent back his way, Seungri suspected that they may be talking about him.

Seungri quickly gathered his things together once they got to the dressing room. Jonghyun was sending him glares the whole time, and Seungri couldn't work out why. Jonghyun hadn't even been around to see him talking to Daesung, and he'd been perfectly fine before that.

"Why would you do that to him?" Seungri heard half whispered, half hissed from behind him. When he turned around, he saw that it was Jonghyun who had said it, but Seungri couldn't figure out what he meant. "What?" This only caused Jonghyun to huff exasperatedly.

"You know, with you talking to..... you know that he.... Ugh!" And with that, Jonghyun stormed out of the room, leaving Seungri utterly confused. Who was 'he'? What exactly had Seungri done? He had no idea.