Chapter 1

The weight of a decision

The bed Seungri was in felt different than usual. The mattress was slightly harder, the sheets coarser, and it felt bigger than it should. Did I get drunker than usual last night? he wondered as he lazily stretched out on the bed. It wasn't the first time he'd gone home with a girl, but he generally remembered doing it, something which he couldn't today. The last thing he remembered was being in a club with Jiyong hyung and Seunghyun hyung, but he didn't remember any particular girls that he was interested in.

Mentally shrugging, he decided to go back to sleep - he didn't have anything on that day, and the mystery girl he'd gone home with wasn't around right now. Irritatingly, just as he was beginning to drift off, he heard voices coming from somewhere outside his door, and although he did his best to ignore them, they seemed to be getting louder.

"Seunghyun hyung!" a voice cried as the door flew open. Seungri jumped in fright and confusion. That wasn't the voice of his siblings, and he was the maknae of his group. Who could possibly be calling him hyung? He stared blearily-eyed at the intruder, who seemed vaguely familiar, but who he couldn't name while still half asleep.

The unknown figure came over to him, and stood by his bed, shaking his shoulder. "Hyung, you need to get up now, we have dance practice now" the figure said with a fondly amused look on their face. They walked away, adding "Kibum hyung's making breakfast, if you hurry up", and then they were gone.

Head reeling, still confused, Seungri took a good look at the room he was in. Contrary to his previous assumptions, this was not the room of a girl. Slightly messy, with clothes on the floor and notebooks on a desk in the corner of the room, it was completely unfamiliar, but reminded him strongly of the dorm rooms he'd had over the years. Beginning to think more about the name the slightly familiar man had dropped, Kibum, the man's face became more familiar, but he still couldn't place it.

His natural curiosity began to grow as he looked around this room. There were posters for several kpop groups stuck to the walls of the room, and upon closer inspection, they proved to be mainly SM entertainment artists. Although he could respect anyone else in the kpop industry, and he admired the dances which the SM groups did, he had no particular attachment to these groups.

Deciding that he should leave the room that he was in, as the owner could be back at any time and he didn't know who that could be, he began to look though the closet and drawers for clothes he could wear, as the only thing he had on were his boxers from yesterday. Surprisingly, all the clothes he picked up were in his size, which he regarded as slightly suspicious. What were the chances that he was in the room of a stranger who was the exact same size as him?

Because he had no choice, he chose some of the less colourful of the clothes he found and put them on. They fitted well, and they seemed like the kind of clothes he would have chosen for himself in a store. This morning just kept getting weirder. He examined himself in a full-length mirror that was on a wall. If he was going to have to meet potential strangers, he may as well be well dressed, and the clothes he had picked were acceptable.

As he walked towards the door of the room, his suspicions about who else might be in this place began to grow. He was fairly certain that he was in a dorm of some kind, and the familiar man from before, in conjunction with the name Kibum, was beginning to look more and more like a member from a popular SM group. He opened the door, and took a look outside. There was a corridor, with several doors, and a kitchen at one end where Seungri could hear voices coming from.

Deciding that his best plan of action was to confront these people, and then probably leave, he walked towards the kitchen. As he entered, his suspicions were confirmed. Standing in the kitchen were Taemin, Kibum and Onew from the SM group SHINee. Although he knew of this group for their dancing skills, he hadn't paid much attention to them in the past, which would make this interaction all the more awkward. Thanking his acting ability, he prepared to be as charming as possible to these people so that he could leave soon and get back to his home.

He began to speak. "Hi, I'm sorr-" but he was cut off by Onew, who talked over him, "you should be sorry Seunghyun, you'd think our leader would be able to get himself out of bed earlier when we have a schedule." The smile on his face made it clear that he was meant to be teasing, but Seungri's mind only latched onto one word. "Leader?" he said incredulously, "I don't even know you!"

Onew's expression changed from teasing to concerned. "Are you alright Seunghyun?" he asked. "You've always been our leader - you know, of our group? SHINee? You, me, Jonghyun, Taemin, Kibum and Minho?"

The confusion and realisation that something was very, very wrong with the world sent his vision spinning, and as his breathing sped up his vision went dark.