More about Love but not enough

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

More about Love but not enough           

 

            It was already late afternoon by the time Henry left after that awkward moment. Amber was still in daze after hearing that Henry thinks of her as beautiful. This feeling was weird because she sees him only as a very good friend, a brother.

            ‘’Now that the weirdo has left the building what do you want us to do?’ Sarang asked standing fully up and stretching her arms behind her back. Amber jerked her head up and glanced at the girl. She stood up as well. What should I say? Maybe I suggest something she doesn’t enjoy doing or something.

            “I... ah... Whatever you want is fine with me.” Yeah, that should do. Amber praised herself. Sarang turned around and moved towards house entry calling her with her hand to follow her. Amber took her dog close to her chests and followed Sarang inside.

            “Don’t say that. I might go crazy!’’

            “What?” Amber said wondering if Henry wasn’t joking earlier.

             “I want to do many things. At the same time.” Sarang exclaimed a bit overwhelmed with the thoughts running through her mind. Then she remembered what Henry told Amber not ten minutes ago. She turned to face Amber and said quietly.

 

             “No, no... Not like that. Amber, you don’t have to be that careful around me. I overheard what Henry told you but don’t worry, I 

won’t jump and kill you or anything.” She winked at Amber smiling shyly. Amber mirrored her expression slightly embarrassed for believing in Henry’s words for even a second.

            “Are you guys dating?” Sarang asked this time seriously. Of course, Amber wanted to say no, but her mind started wondering. How would be to date with Henry? He’s not entirely my ideal type. And he is a womenizer. Which I hate.

            “NO! Of course we don’t date. He’s like my brother.”

 Sarang opened to say something more but a growl coming from her stomach interrupted her. She laughed awkwardly and shrugged her shoulders.

            “You must be hungry. How about you eat something and then we will see what to do next, hm?” Amber smiled at the girl. She noticed that Sarang haven’t had any snacks earlier and that was probably due to some strict diet considering how she picked her food carefully when they had their early lunch with Henry.

            “I forgot to set up alarm to warn me to prepare dinner.” Sarang looked at her wristwatch with annoyed look.

            “You set up alarm for that?” Amber asked surprised that someone would put an alarm for that simple thing. Then again, the girl has ADHD so maybe that’s normal.

            “I set alarm for everything. If I don’t, I don’t manage to do anything on time.” She said shrugging her shoulders and looking around. ‘’I’ll just order something from restaurant.’’ Sarang turned and started opening every drawer she could put her hands on whispering silently to herself about where she putted something. Finally finding a take-out menu, she exclaimed happily. “What do you want to eat?”

.......................................................................................................................................................

            While waiting for food delivery they fed their dogs that then turned to sleep against each other in the corner of the hallway. “Amber, you don’t mind me calling you only by your name?” Sarang suddenly asked. “No, not at all. Call me whatever you want. Even I feel much comfortable when I don’t need to use those honorifics.”

            “Good. Cuz It’s sounds weird saying unnie after your American name. It feels strange when I call Sam oppa when in school. Eww, that is even stranger.” She shuddered at the thought. “Amber, what does it feels like to have a sister?” Sarang suddenly changed the topic. It seems like she changes them constantly.

            After thinking about Jackie for a few seconds, Amber answered confidently. “Having an elder sister means having almost a second mother.”

            “Mother? Don’t know about that either.” She interrupted Amber, and realizing that she smiled apologetically. Amber smiled affectingly both for Sarang and her sister.

            “An older sister is the one who has been around from day one. She’s always there to have your back, and if anyone hurts you, she’ll do something about it. So she knows you inside and out.” She paused to enjoy Sarang’s cute reaction. She was nodding with open. “But that sometimes can be a bad thing.”Amber said warningly. Sarang closed abruptly in confusion.

            “How can that be a bad thing?”

            “It can be, especially if your sister is weird and crazy as mine.” Amber said defensively. “You know why? Because older sisters tend to bug you and embarrass you in front of the friends.”

            “Oh, I see what you mean.” Sarang responded nodding her head trying hard to stay still but her legs were ‘dancing’ as Amber putted it.

            “But having a sister is a true blessing.” Amber said thinking about her sister. “What about having a big brother?”

“Same thing. He gets to be overprotective and you get to annoy him and embarrass him and get away with it. It’s even greater blessing.” Sarang was smiling until her stomach growled again. She started shifting from one foot to another. “What do we do while waiting for delivery?”

            God, she’s like popcorn.  “How about you give me a tour of the house?” This is a good excuse for her to move around, right?!

            “Sure”

            Sarang took Amber for the tour of the house, well more like a run through the house. “This house is enormous.” Amber said walking, actually skipping and following Sarang, which she didn’t mind one bit.

            “Yeah. It’s fun to run from the top to the bottom and vice versa. It’s supposed to be my mothers, but f-f father gave it to me.” Sarang said struggling over the father word.

            “Wow, he sure is generous.”

            “Not really! The house just one more thing he wanted to get rid of. It was his gift to her for their wedding.” She finished when they reached the end of the hallway. Amber felt a bit guilty for mentioning her father.

            “I’m sorry.”

            “Yeah, well... It was almost empty when I came, so when my brother got his inheritance he filled the house with furniture he got from his parent’s old house and through these four years we made home of our own.” Sarang said entering the large living room filled with windows and beautiful furnishings.

            “This looks really comfy.” Amber said looking around the large room. The walls were lined with shelves of books, arranged by subject and alphabetized within. Amber likes to read when time allows her so she stood mesmerized by the wealth of literature and information in the room. Sarang was already distracted with something on the coffee table and when she started mumbling, she got Amber’s attention.

            “Sarang? Is everything ok?”

            “Yeah. Just forgot about this.” She waved a piece of yellow paper mid air.

            “A post note? I noticed that you have a lot of post notes.”

            “Yes, It’s because I have an attention span of a squirrel. As soon as a better nut is in the range, have no interest on the former one.” Sarang replied laughing on her own misfortune.

            “Is it hard? You now, handle with ADHD.”

            “Sometimes. It’s a part of me, so it’s ok. It was hard when I was a kid, or when in school. Sitting still, respecting people’s personal space and not blurting whatever it comes to mind was difficult. Still is, especially when you hear a dumb question.” Sarang took Amber’s hand to lead her out of the room.

            “When is a dumb question even I can’t hold back.”

            “Yeah, but not when someone state an obvious matter and you reply in sarcastic way 'No , Sherlock.”

            “What’s wrong with that?”

            “I said that to a professor. So, no good thing.”

            “Oh, . You got a detention I assume?” Sarang nodded her head leading her to a far end of the upper hallway. “Luckily, I have a mild form of ADHD and Henry and Hyukey were a great help. They still are.”

            “Really?"

            "Yes. Actually, Henry's the one who realized how music calms me. It's a funny story. I'll tell you once."

"I’m glad you had and still have someone.” They reached the door where Sarang wanted to show Amber, but a simple, white door caught her attention. “What’s in there?”

            “Eh, I don’t really know. The room was locked since we moved in and the only request father had had been not to open them.”

            “Aren’t you curious what’s in there?”

            “Yes, I’m dying of entering but... I don’t know. Something is holding me back. Let’s go this way.” Once again, she took her hand and dragged her to her little heaven, her music room.

........................................................................................................................................................

 While Amber picked around her plate with chopsticks not feeling hungry, Sarang ate firing a question after question about Amber’s life, her friends and family. What really Amber wanted was to know about Sarang, her true identity and about that closed room. Why are they closed?

         

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter