A great surprise

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A GREAT SURPRISE

chapter 10

            It was 5.43 on a Wednesday morning and Amber hadn’t slept a wink.

            Oh, she had tried, of course. Desperately, and with all of the tricks she could remember without taking a sleeping pill – deep breathing, doing push-ups, playing guitar, even the ever clichéd counting sheep. However, nothing had worked even though she was tired of all yesterdays dance practices. As the first cracks of daylight crept in under her curtains, she had eventually accepted that sleep won’t come and she might as well get up.

            Now here she was, slumped at her kitchen table in her pajamas (a t-shirt and shorts actually), clutching her half-full mug of black coffee to her chest while scratching her baby dog behind ears. Taking a sip of her bitter beverage, she realizes she had been consuming a lot of caffeine lately. Bubble tea as well but that’s just another story (or addiction). Perhaps that was why she couldn’t sleep at night. No, I never sleep well at night. And I do have to go there today. I really do.

            She was too tired, too exhausted to sleep. Yesterday and the day before, and the week before actually a whole month before they were practicing, they were preparing to be perfect. Today is f(x) day off so they can rest. Tomorrow, the promotion of their mini-album is starting on M! Countdown and only three days ago their first song (Electric Shock) after their Pinocchio album was released, and it’s already a great hit. The f(x) members worked hard to come to this point of their career and Amber felt wonderful. But... well there is always that ‘but’. Amber felt as much excitement as she felt nervous and she believed that other member of their little family felt the same way. That’s probably because they weren’t performing their songs for a long time. At least not together. When Amber injured her leg and was on temporary hiatus, the other girls have worked hard to promote their album and f(x) in general. And now? Now Amber feels a great responsibility. Will the audience react positively? My leg is fine now but still... I just hope everything goes well.

Few days ago, precisely on Sunday, on the day when Electric shock was released, they were practicing from early morning to late night hours, almost to death. Especially Luna. She is the one that is pushing f(x) family forward and motivate them to work a lot until everything is perfect.

*fleshback*

Sunday, June 10

15 PM

            “Ok. Let’s go F(x). One more time, one, two...” Luna said, for the thousandth time that day. They were practicing choreographies for “Jet” and “Electric Shock” from 8 o’clock in the morning with only a brief break for breakfast.

             “Luna unnie...” mumbled Sulli weakly not having the strength to complain, but Soojung replaced her in that.

            “Puppy unnie, please no more. I’m hungry and tired. I’m sure you are as well as the rest of the girls. If I don’t eat right now I am gonna pass out.” Luna sighed, accepting defeat. Although she rarely gives in, she knew that if she wanted everything to be as it should be, they have to watch themselves. Particularly Soojung with her anemic condition.

            “Oh, of course. You know my perfectionism and me. I do tend to forget about everything else when it comes to work. Sorry.” Luna replied energetically but shyly because of her excessive enthusiasm. After bowing her head, she turned to Amber.

            “Koala unnie, I thought I heard your phone. Vibrates almost all day and maybe you should check, It may be an emergency or something.”

            “You’re right. I heard it as well but I didn’t want to interrupt our practice. All I achieved is distracting us. Sorry!” Amber looked at her friends apologetically whispering the last word.

            “Vic unnie?” Amber called.

            “Wae?”

           “I’m going to get us something to eat. Come with me?” With her expressive eyes, she gave Victoria a sign that she wanted to consult with her besides finding some food. Victoria, although tired and wanting nothing more than to sprawl on the floor and stretch her legs, she knew Amber needed her. Nodding she faced the rest of her dongsaengs telling them that they will come back with food for everyone earning wide smiles from the youngest members. Amber put the red backpack on her shoulder, took Victoria’s arm and led her out of the practice hall.

            Just as they came out of the building Amber took the mobile phone from the backpack.    

           “Jie jie, I think it’s time to call someone from the phonebook. I should’ve done it yesterday, right?” Amber asked with raised                     eyebrows.

             “Well, you haven’t had the time yesterday. It’s good you asked to go for food yourself or that terrorist (Luna) probably would kill us in that gym. I love to dance, but she’s... I mean, I love her and admire her enthusiasm but she’s crazy.” Victoria said half-jokingly looking around making sure no one else heard what she sead about her dongsaeng.

            “Yeah, who can resist Luna? You simply have to love her. If not for her, I do not know if we would come this far.” Amber said smiling grateful for Luna’s presence in their lives. However, when she looked at the phone in her hands, her smile vanished and was soon replaced with a shock one after seeing the amount of missed calls and messages.

            “Whaaaa? 72 missed calls? And that’s only from yesterday and today.” She briefly glanced at Victoria to see the same shocked face. “Look, about 20 missed calls are from that CrapyCreepy and about the same amount are from someone named ‘Oppa alarm – always answer”

            “Wow” whispered astonished Victoria. “Call that CrepiCrepi”. Amber smiled due to her incorrect pronunciation but didn’t said anything only dialed the number and waited for the other line to pick up.   

 

            “Hey girl! You got the most handsome man on this continent. What can I do for you my lady? How do you like my gift, ha? Wait a minute? I thought you lost your mobile. You didn’t answer the phone on purpose did ya? ... Sarang? You there?” A low, masculine voice sprung from the phone talking like there’s no tomorrow.

            “This is’t... Sarang.” Amber answered slowly taken aback by the crazy person on the other side of the phone. “Amber Liu speaking. I am the one who found her backpack and I wonder whether you can help me to get in touch with her, so that I can return it.”

            “Oh” the voice sounded somewhat disappointed. Not a second later, he continued with sweet yet y courtesy.  “How nice of you miss. Many would not even try to return the property of another. I’m her best friend and if you want, we can meet and you can leave her things with me and I will pass them along.”

            “Actually, I would like to meet her personally. I already know Sarang and I would like to see her again. Is it okay for you to give me her address or her home phone number, Mr... ?”

            “Sam, Lee Sam. Well if you know her, I can give you information you need. I’m not worried about her safety since she can kill with her crazy ninja moves. I’ll text you her address, ok?

            After hearing his words, she felt relief. “Ok, thank you very much Mr. Lee.”

            “You are welcome. Wait, did you say you are Amber Liu? As in Amber from f(x)?”

            “Yeah.” I hope he’s not some crazy fan or worse, an anti-fan.

            “That’s cool. I’m a fan of yours. Just one question, what’s my name in that phonebook? Good Lookin’? y as devil? Prince Charming? Which one?”

            “Ahm....’’ Amber was contemplating whether to tell him or not. “You don’t want to know. None of those you named though.”

            “Just tell me, please. I know she can’t resist my charming self.”

            “It’s...ahh..... Creepy McChatterCrap(er).”

            “.........”

            After a long silence from the other line Amber thought that the boy hang up.

            “Hello?”

            “Jin-jja? That’s how she named me?” His voice was laced with uncertainty, as if he was checking if he heard it right.

            “Yeah.”

            “Aish, that girl! How can she do that. Aish...  Jin-jja-roh? I can’t believe it.”

            “Yeah...” Amber wanted to hang up as soon as possible cause this guy gives her the creeps.  “Ok, goodbye.”

            “Yeah, yeah. See you soon. Aish, that girl....”

After hanging up Amber wasn’t sure what to say. Actually, she didn’t know if there is anything to say. Now she understands why Sarang would name this person Creepy in her phone contacts.

             “That was hilarious,” said Victoria after a few seconds of Amber silence than repeated                     “hilarious and awkward.” 

 

 

           Both laughed to the wacky person Amber just talked              on the phone.

 

 

 

 

*Bling-bling*

            “Oh, here’s the address. Well, it's relatively close to our apartment.” Victoria realized after reading the message content. “When are you planning to go?"

            “As soon as we get a day off. Will you be able to go with me?” Amber answered excited about the upcoming me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter