TWENTY ONE

There's a Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TWENTY ONE

Suho feels satisfied. It’s almost the end of the second week of the summit and he just hit the jackpot with his final presentation. Three huge companies pledged to buy stocks from the empire and he saw Sehun approaching them for more details. This summit is doing wonders on him.

As he sat comfortably on his seat, he felt his phone vibrate. He immediately checks it so see a message from Taeyeon. He was expecting her to tell him about the new media scheme but he was surprised by the message content.

Your mom found out, she stopped us. She’s mad, better talk to her.

 

Suho can only shut his eyes close and massage the bridge of his nose. He’s tired and here comes his mom acting up. He was expecting this that’s why he was hoping for Taeyeon to do stuffs faster but then once his mother interferes, everything gets tough, just like his situation now.

“Hyung what’s wrong?” he heard Sehun asked which made him open his eyes.

“Did you finish the first step?” Suho asked instead.

“Yes, I got details confirmed and they’re sending representatives to Korea to formally sign the contract and such.” Sehun replied.

“That’s good.”

“But what’s up with you?”

“What do you mean?”

“You look stressed.” Sehun pointed out.

“I’m just tired because of everything. What’s important is we’re done with our presentation. We can go home sooner.” Suho replied which just made Sehun look at him, completely dissatisfied with his answer.

“Nothing’s wrong maknae, really.” Suho tried to give him an assuring smile but it just made Sehun look at him sternly, he knows he got no way out so he preferred not talking anymore.

-

“So, you did agree with his idea.” Jun Mi pointed out which made Eunji gulp.

“I had to ma’am, after all, it was the right thing to do.” Eunji replied. She was so surprised when she came back from KxE, Namjoo signaled her that someone was waiting inside, before she could even ask, the intercom sounded with Jun Mi’s voice instructing Namjoo to let Eunji enter once she arrives.

“You do understand that I don’t make plans without thinking of stuffs ahead? So the right thing that you think is not right! You should have informed me the moment Suho told you! Or you should have say no! I can’t believe I trusted you on this, I thought you could win over Suho but things turned out differently as I can see.” Jun Mi looks mad which only made Eunji flinch.

“I’m sorry ma’am… it’s just that…”

“What if the board finds out that the two of you are going through something? That the two of you are not in a good situation… it will affect the Suho’s ratings on them, what was he thinking?!” Eunji doesn’t know if Jun Mi was talking to her or to herself but one thing is for sure, she’s mad.

“No one talks about ending the media play, I stopped Taeyeon from the plan as well. I’ll talk to Junmyeon about this. Both of you need to work on this or else everything will be put to waste!” Jun Mi sounded so panicked which made Eunji’s brows meet.

“With all due respect ma’am… but why are you so into this media play? Don’t you think Suho wants to end this because he’s not happy with this kind treatment? Ma’am I don’t know the reason why you wanted this media play in the first place, getting Suho publicized is one thing but I know you’ve got other reasons…” Eunji tried her hardest not to stammer as she didn’t expect herself to ask that question as well.

Jun Mi dropped her hand that was massaging her temple and looked at Eunji.

“You really want to know why I’m pushing on with this even if I know I’m looking like a heartless mother who wants stuffs for his son? Well let me tell you Ms. Jung… first things first, I know what you’re hiding, you’re Hyerim, am I right?” Eunji’s eyes widen upon hearing what Jun Mi said, her reaction herself caused her not to be able to say anything.

“I instructed Junmyeon to use that ace on you since I know it’ll work, wanna know the second reason? I wanted the two of you to go on this media play not only because I wanted my son to be publicized, that’s the bonus actually, the main reason is you’re Eunji Jung, daughter of the famous Jung Eun Ha, the woman who meant a lot to the Empire.” Eunji was surprised to the sudden mention of her mother. She suddenly remembered their conversation when she slept on her place.

:FLASHBACK:

“Is Suho treating you well?” Eun Ha asked as she Eunji’s hair. Eunji wanted to tell her mom the truth but she just can’t find it in her heart to see her mother disappointed on her for lying so she took a deep breath before answering.

“He does. He’s good mom.” Eunji sounded flat.

“Is there something wrong with you two? You sound lifeless.”

“Augh… I don’t know mom, maybe… I miss him?” Eunji was surprised with the sudden utter. Does she miss him though?

“Why?”

“Aah, he’s in New York for the summit.” Eunji explained but her expression shows a visible confusion as to why she said that.

“Awww, my baby is in love. I can’t believe I missed the courtship part, what happened?” Eunji’s eyes widen with her mother’s sudden question, she didn’t see that coming. Before, when she enters relationship, her mother doesn’t really put herself into it which makes her thankful.

“Mom why so sudden? Let’s skip that please….” Eunji tried to sound playful, hoping to fool her mom which she think worked as Eun Ha laughed and playfully slapped her but.

“I can’t believe my baby is fully grown up now, she’s dating one of the most famous bachelors in South Korea… how did you do that huh?!” Eun Ha playfully asked which just made her laugh.

“By the way honey, how’s Jun Mi?” Eunji’s brow rise at the question, why so sudden?

“Why mom?”

“Nothing, it’s just that, I haven’t seen her in a while… Jun Mi and I became good friends before since I had some things with Empire. I almost became their face too if it wasn’t because Elvis’ offered arrived first.” Eunji nodded as her mother was talking, so she could have had a huge connection with Kim Empire in the first place if only her mother became the face of the empire.

“But you keep in touch?”

“Not really, but we talk when we meet on events and I’m also friends with the other daughters of Uncle Beom Cheol so that basically sums it up. I can’t wait to meet them again, that’s why I was glad that you ended up with such a fine man.” Eun Ha replied. Eunji wanted to protest, she wanted to tell her the truth again but hearing how her mother talk, she can actually say that she likes Suho for her even if he haven’t met him yet.

:END OF FLASHBACK:

“What’s the connection of my mom in here… ma’am?”

“The board knows you’re Eun Ha’s daughter, a fashion queen, and the board knows you’re in a so-called relationship with Junmyeon, so joining together you and Junmyeon brings a huge impact to the Empire and the board likes that… so if you’re asking why I’m having this media play in the first place… it is to ensure the board’s decision with Junmyeon taking over the CEO position since he worked so hard for it… none of the other boys wants the job more than he does… and I don’t want the Empire to go to the hands of any other members of the board…” Jun Mi’s explanation shut Eunji up as she gave it a thought. In the end, Jun Mi’s still a mother who wants the best for her child even though she uses a different approach, Eunji don’t know how to respond though. She’s now slowly trying to understand everything, the reason to why Jun Mi ended up with this and such, and she knows Suho wants the position as well, and she’s willing to help him out… but Suho made his decision already, he wanted this to end, Eunji’s torn.

“So Eunji, can we keep this media play going just until the next two months or so? The final assessment will happen a month and a half from now, the announcement will be on father’s birthday celebration, which is Suho’s last step…” Eunji was surprised with the sudden change of tone from Jun Mi. The strictness and her usual aura are there but she sounded more of a mother-like than a businesswoman-like talker now.

“I am not hoping for this but what if Suho doesn’t pass in the last assessment, who’s next in line?”

“I can’t believe I would have to explain this to you now.” Jun Mi sighed, Eunji kept her straight face since she wanted her to know that she’s serious in asking the question.

“The board’s eyeing Minseok and Yixing but both boys refused to, but they’re still in for the assessment, then there are two other sons of the board that has a close family ties with us… one of them is Kim Yeol, he’s one of Junmyeon’s strong competition, if Junmyeon doesn’t pass the final assessment, there’s a 98% possibility that Kim Yeol will get the position.” Jun Mi replied which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter