Chapter 28 (MyungYeol's Final Chapter)

House Exchange

 

A fata morgana could only happen in the deserts on the afternoon, when the travelers were exhausted and longing for water, and they suddenly would see a fake-lake in the distance, it was what Sungyeol thought. But, he never thought a fata morgana could happen in his house too on the night (blamed it on his lack geography knowledge). He didn’t know wherever and whenever people were, they would see an illusion of something (or someone) that they were longing for.

And here Sungyeol was, saw a fake-Myungsoo exactly at the front door of his house with a really-wide-smile plastered on his face. Myungsoo never smiled widely like that, he would just give Sungyeol a little smile or maybe a teasing grin, so Sungyeol was sure that he was hallucinating right now. Sungyeol didn’t know what to do to stop this fata morgana, so all he could do was blinking his eyes a few times. But, everytime he opened his eyes again, the image of Myungsoo was still available on his vision.

“What are you doing?”

Sungyeol’s hallucination had gone wilder, much too Sungyeol mildness. He could even imagine Myungsoo’s voice right now.

But, even Sungyeol believed that the voice was only his imagination, he still answered it. “I’m trying to get rid of my delusional mind.”

Sungyeol heard a chuckled that came from fake-Myungsoo’s mouth. “You are impossible, Sungyeol! You think I’m just your imagination?”

Sungyeol’s eyes widen at his realization. “You are not?”

“Of course not!” Myungsoo reached his hands out to cup Sungyeol’s cheek. “See, I can touch you! You are not daydreaming, Sungyeol!”

Sungyeol could felt his body heat started to creep up to his chubby cheeks, he quickly removed Myungsoo’s hands with his own hands because he didn’t want the other know that he was blushing hard, although the fact was he still couldn’t hide his reddening face. “Myungsoo… Why… Why are you here?”

Myungsoo cleared his throat. “I need to see you.”

“See me?” Sungyeol raised his eyebrow. “I… I thought you didn’t want to see me.”

This time Myungsoo raised his eyebrow too. “Who said like that?”

“Your actions told me everything.”

Sungyeol was waiting for Myungsoo to say something again. But, the words didn’t come from his mouth. And it was more than enough to prove that Myungsoo indeed didn’t want to see Sungyeol.

“Myungsoo, if you have nothing to say anymore, please just leave now.”

Before Sungyeol could close the door, Myungsoo grabbed Sungyeol’s hand. “Wait, Sungyeol, let me explain everything!”

“There is nothing to explain, okay? Just leave and never come back again!” Sungyeol said as he tried to release his hand from Myungsoo’s grip.

But, Myungsoo didn’t give up. He even tightened his grip more. “I won’t come back until you listen to me!”

“Okay, I’ll listen to you! Just take your hand away from me! It hurts!”

Myungsoo immediately retreat his hand as he realized that his grip was too hard for Sungyeol.

“Look,” Myungsoo took a deep breath before he continued. “I knew I’m a jerk. I knew I shouldn’t leave you just like that before. But, it doesn’t mean I don’t want to see you, Sungyeol. In fact, after I left you that day, I even miss you more and more as the day passed by.”

“If you miss me, then why you never replied my messages, you never answered my calls, and you never showed up yourself in front of me! Why Myungsoo?”

“It’s just… I… I was afraid!”

“Afraid of what?”

“I knew this sounds stupid, but I was afraid of falling in love again, Sungyeol! You knew that my first love already gave me a deep scar in my heart, and it really hurts. I didn’t want to get hurt again. That’s why I promised myself to not fall in love again. But you, you changed everything. You made me fall in love for the second time.”

“Why are you so afraid of falling in love? I got hurt because of love too! My ex-boyfriend cheated on me with his work-partner before. Do you think it doesn’t hurt? It really hurts! But, I’m not like you Myungsoo. I’m not afraid of falling in love again. That’s why I let myself fall for you. And when you left me, do you think it doesn’t hurt me? Don’t you know that you had hurt me too, huh?” Sungyeol shouted while holding back his tears that were about to fall from his eyes.

Myungsoo shouted back. “I knew, Sungyeol! I knew!” He paused for a moment and continued with a softer voice this time. “And I realized I should move on from now on and forget about my insecurity. That’s why I’m here to see you again. I want to make you mine this time. I won’t let you go away from my life anymore. And maybe if we are together we both can find happiness, although I don’t know it will last forever or not. But, I want to be with you. I want to spend my time only with you.”

As Myungsoo finished his words, he anticipated Sungyeol to give a respond. Fortunately, Sungyeol kept his mouth shut and stared at him, unamused was clearly written on his face.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to be with me anymore, Sungyeol. I will just leave now. Thanks for listening me.”

“Hey, who said I don’t want to be with you?” Sungyeol said as Myungsoo was about to step away from him.

“What?” Myungsoo asked dumbfounded, he thought his ears were playing a trick on him.

“I said who said I don’t want to be with you!” Sungyeol repeated his last sentence, then he added. “But, you should ask me properly, okay?”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrow. “Properly? What do you mean by properly?”

“Well, you know, like in the romance movies, when the man kneeled down in front of his woman and proposed her.”

Myungsoo scoffed. “This is not a marriage-proposal, Sungyeol! I’m just asking you to be my boyfriend.”

“Just regard this as a practice for a marriage-proposal that you will do to me later.”

“And why do you think we will get married in the future?”

Sungyeol smirked slyly. “Because I’ll make you fall in love with me even deeper than this time.”

Myungsoo snorted as he heard Sungyeol’s words. “Don’t flatter yourself, Mr. Arrogant.”

“Just do it, Myungsoo! Or I won’t accept you to be my boyfriend!” Sungyeol threatened Myungsoo playfully, making Myungsoo shook his head because of Sungyeol’s antique.

“Fine!” Myungsoo bended down on one knee and stretched out his right hand to Sungyeol. “To my dearest Sungyeol, I, Myungsoo, am hopelessly falling in love with you. I don’t know if I could make our life happily ever after like in those fairytales, but I’ll try my best. So, from now on, will you be mine?”

“And if I’m not?” Sungyeol questioned Myungsoo teasingly.

“You knew you’ll regret it in your whole life.”

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “And you said I’m Mr. Arrogant while you are just as arrogant as me!”

“Yah! It doesn’t matter who is more arrogant right now. Just accept me already. I’m tired in this position for too long.”

Sungyeol giggled after hearing Myungsoo’s complaint.

“Hey, stop giggling! Just take my hand and say yes.” Myungsoo was getting impatient right now.

Sungyeol finally took Myungsoo’s hand. “I’ll accept this for now. But, in the future, when you do a marriage-proposal to me, do it in a more romantic way, okay?”