Chapter 23

House Exchange

 

Sungjong stirred from his slumber as the bright sunlight that illuminated his bedroom started to hurt his eyes. He tried to open his eyes, but it was so hard to do. His eyes were so heavy, like there were tons of weights were being placed on his eyes. Probably it was because he cried a lot last night. Yes, he cried in the whole night. It was felt like déjà vu for him. He remembered how he cried so hard until he felt like there were no tears left in his eyes when he broke up with Junyoung. It was the same feeling like he felt now.

After tried several times, he finally could open his eyes. He blinked twice because of the brightness of the light that surrounded him made his eyes a little bit shocked. He thought it was funny how bright the sunlight could be today, while he felt like his heart was dark. It was like the sunlight had swept away the darkness from all over the world and placed it inside his heart without mercy.

‘How is Hoya doing now?’

Sungjong knew he should forget about Hoya. But, it seemed like Sungjong couldn’t get rid of him completely. There was somewhere around his mind that always had thoughts about Hoya. Maybe he needed much more time to make those thoughts fully gone.

‘How about him? Does he need much more time too?’

Sungjong couldn’t help but curious at this. Was Hoya still thinking about him? Did Hoya also still can’t get rid of Sungjong from his mind completely? Or did he decide to forget about the past and move on? Sungjong cringed at the last possibility that he thought. Sungjong knew it was the best for them to move on as soon as possible, but a part of him still wanted Hoya to always remember about him, a part of him was still longing for Hoya.

*Ring, ring, ring, ring.*

The ring of Sungjong’s phone made him shook away all of his thought immediately. He reached out the phone on his nightstand. His eyes widen, like it could pop out anytime soon, as he saw the caller’s number. Hoya’s number.

It was like the God wanted to give answers from all Sungjong’s questions about Hoya just now. The God wanted to know that Hoya was still thinking about him, the same way as he was thinking about Hoya.

But still, he couldn’t pick up the call right now. Not when they should forget about everything between them. So, the best thing he could think now was ignoring Hoya’s call.

Several seconds later, the ring died down. He sighed in relief and prayed silently that Hoya would stop calling him.

But, it seemed the God betrayed him this time. Or maybe Hoya was just too persistent. He didn’t care anyway. The thing he cared now was Hoya called him again. Sungjong thought that maybe Hoya was hoping Sungjong would change his mind and picked up the call. But, Sungjong was as persistent as Hoya anyway. He had promised that he would not answer all of Hoya’s call, and he would always stick to that promise. So now, Sungjong was turning his phone to the silent mode and tossed it back on the nightstand so he would not have to hear the ring of his phone anymore, even Hoya would continue to call him over and over again.

~~~

Several hours later, Sungjong noticed that Hoya had stopped calling him. Maybe he finally gave up now. It was a good thing anyway. Sungjong didn’t have to feel guilty in a longer time. Yes, Sungjong felt guilty everytime he glanced at his phone laid on the nightstand and he saw his phone screen flashed Hoya’s number on it, signing that Hoya called him again. How Sungjong wished at that time he could just scream at Hoya’s ears to not call him continuously like that. Didn’t Hoya know that it was hard for Sungjong to forget about him when kept bugging up his mind?

Little did Sungjong know that actually Hoya wasn’t a person who gave up that easily, especially to chase down his love.

*Knock, knock, knock.*

Sungjong was surprised to hear the knock at his door. He was sure that the one who did it was Hoya. Sungjong could do nothing but pretended that he wasn’t at home.

“Sungjong, I knew you are inside. Please open the door.”

‘! He knew it!’

Although Sungjong got busted, but still he pretended like he wasn’t at home.

“Fine, Sungjong, if you don’t want to open the door, I’ll wait here.”

~~~

It was exactly 5 days since Hoya had waited him in front of his house for the first time. And it wasn’t the last time he did that. He did it again after that. He started to sit in front of his house when the morning came and left around midnight. It happened continuously. But, today was different. Sungjong didn’t see Hoya’s presence. Half of Sungjong was worried, but half of him was in relief.

But, how about tomorrow? Or many days later? Would Hoya come back and wait for him in front of his house again? If yes, Sungjong didn’t think he could handle it anymore. The guilty would always haunt him everytime he noticed Hoya’s presence at the outside of his house.

So, the only thing he could do now was calling Sungyeol.