Chapter 26

House Exchange

 

People would be crazy when it comes to love. They would do everything, even those things weren’t logical, they would still do it to impress their loved one.

Hoya thought that those statements were just bull. Why would people do something not logical just for a person? It wasn’t like we couldn’t do anything without that person, right? There were millions people in this world, there were still a lot of choices for us, yet why people were so persistent to firm up with one choice? Hoya admitted that he was inexperienced in all of those love things, but he was sure he wouldn’t do something stupid just for a person. He was never did any stupid thing anyway.

Or maybe he did. The first stupid thing he did in his life was accepting Dongwoo to be his boyfriend. No, it wasn’t like he didn’t love Dongwoo, he loved Dongwoo so much, but not as a boyfriend. He realized that he had given Dongwoo more attention than his other friends before, but he never thought those attentions would lead Dongwoo to fall in love with him. Those attentions came from the need to protect Dongwoo as a friend, as a brother.

The current-Dongwoo maybe looked so cheerful. Outsiders would think he was alright, but he wasn’t. Outsiders wouldn’t know what Dongwoo had been through. Outsiders wouldn’t know how cruel Dongwoo’s past could be. Outsiders wouldn’t know how insecure the old-Dongwoo was. And Hoya, being Dongwoo’s childhood friend, knew all of it. That was why he promised himself that he would bring back the happiness to Dongwoo’s life.

Then, when Dongwoo confessed to Hoya that he loved him, more than just a bestfriend, and asked him to be his boyfriend, he could do nothing but to say “yes”. At first he thought that maybe when they went out together he would start to fall for the older man. But, he was totally wrong. There were many years that they passed together as a couple, but still he felt nothing. People said there were some times when you felt butterfly in your stomach when you were around your lover, but Hoya never felt it. People said that your heart would beat faster when your lover kissed you, but Hoya never felt it. People would say that you would feel jealous when your lover was with someone else, but Hoya never felt it. And he finally realized that he could never love Dongwoo as a lover.

He thought that maybe he would never fell in love for his whole life. But, when Sungjong came to his life, it totally changed. Hoya felt the butterfly in his stomach when he was close with Sungjong, Hoya felt his heart beat like a wrecking mess when he kissed Sungjong, and Hoya felt so jealous when Sungjong called his ex-boyfriend. Hoya was sure that he had fallen for the latter.

Oh, and he also realized that people really would be crazy when it comes to love. Like 7 days ago, when he started to stay outside Sungjong’s house from morning until midnight. He thought that maybe he was strong enough to do that continuously, but he wasn’t anyway. And all he could do now was laid on his bed.

“Yah, Hoya! Why the hell you didn’t tell me that you are sick? It was lucky I decided to come to your house, if not I wouldn’t know that you are sick! ”

“Stop overreacting, Dongwoo! I’m fine, okay? My fever had gone already. Besides, I knew you were busy.”

“But still, if you told me that you are sick I wouldn’t want to cover Dongjun’s shift, so I could come here before.”

“I said I’m okay now, Dongwoo! You don’t need to nag me like this!”

Dongwoo rolled his eyes. “Yeah, whatever! Now tell me where you were these days! You didn’t go to work, you were never at home, and you didn’t even answer my call! Your phone was never active!”

Suddenly Hoya realized that he forgot about his phone’s existence. He didn’t even remember where the last time he put it. He was too busy to chase Sungjong, so the other things had move aside from his mind.

“I’m sorry, I lost my phone.”

“Then, where did you go these days?”

Hoya couldn’t answer to that question. He couldn’t tell Dongwoo that he went to Sungjong’s house. He couldn’t let Dongwoo’s heart break. So, all he could do was keeping his mouth shut and looked away from Dongwoo.

There was awkward silence afterwards. Then, Dongwoo decided to ask him again, in a softer tone. “You were with Sungjong, right?”

If this was a quiz show, Dongwoo would definitely get 100 points.

“No! Why did you say like that?”

“Well, Sungjong didn’t go to work too, just like you, so my hypothesis is you were together.”

Dongwoo’s hypothesis was definitely perfect. Hoya thought that maybe Dongwoo has a talent to be a detective or something.

“I… I wasn’t with him…”

Dongwoo scoffed. “Hoya, we were friends since God-knows-when. And I can tell that you are lying right now.”

Hoya knew this time he couldn’t lied anymore, so he thought it was better to not say anything.

Dongwoo sighed as he didn’t get any response from the other. “I knew it.”

“I’m sorry…” Hoya whispered weakly.

“Now, look at me, Hoya!” Hoya immediately titled his head to face the brunette. “Tell me the truth now, you love Sungjong, right?”

Should he say the truth to Dongwoo? But, even if he lied again, in the end Dongwoo would know everything. So, it was better to let him knew earlier. He was tired to hide his feeling anyway.

“Yes…”

Hoya was surprised to see Dongwoo smiled as he heard the truth. How come he could smile in this condition?

“Dongwoo, I…”

“You don’t have to be sorry. I’m the one who should be sorry here.”

“What do you mean?” Hoya asked in confusion.

“I was the one who asked you to be my boyfriend before, although I knew you never love me as a lover. I thought you would refuse me at that time, but I realized that you were too nice to do it. Then, when Sungjong came, I thought you would break up with me, but you never do it. I’m sorry to be a burden for you.”

“Dongwoo, you are not a burden for me, okay? I love you.”

“But, I knew you just love me as a bestfriend, right? The one who you love is Sungjong. I can say from the way you look at him, the way you talk to him, and even the way you tell about him to me.” Dongwoo sighed before he continued. “I admit I was jealous at him before. But now, I realized that love can’t be forced.”

“Dongwoo…”

“We should end this. From now on, I’ll let you free.”

Although he felt guilty because he broke Dongwoo’s heart, but he felt relieved at the same time. It was like a ton of weights was released from Hoya’s shoulders as he heard what Dongwoo said.

“Thanks, Dongwoo! I really love you, buddy!”

Dongwoo chuckled. “I love you too, buddy! And now, why are you still laying on your bed? Get up and find your Juliette, Romeo!”

Without a second thought, Hoya immediately did what Dongwoo said. There was no way he would let his love go away this time.

~~~

A/N: I decided that I will post my new fic (the main couples are still MyungYeol and HoJong) after this one is done, just 3 more chapters guys! ^^