Chapter 9

By Your Side

Hyojin was packing her things when suddenly a voice called her. She knew whose voice was it, but turned nevertheless.

“I’m going to Sooyeon now. You want to go together, right?”

Hyojin dazed for a while, still surprised at the fact that Jimin just talked to him. It somehow hurt her to hear his voice.

“Ah.. Yes.. Just a moment...”

She put her last stuff in her pink sling bag and got up. Jimin then started walking, and she naturally tailed him. Outside the class, Jungkook was waiting for the both of them. Hyojin mentally sighed. So, Jungkook were with them. They would not be alone during the walk. But at a think of it, Hyojin decided it was better if there was Jungkook. It would not that absurd, though. When her eyes hooked with Jungkooks, he smiled.

“Hye Hyojin.”

She nodded and smiled. It was not surprising. Jungkook usually greeted people nicely. The three of them then paced the hallway towards the medical room, two blocks away. The walk was quiet, without a single people talking. Hyojin was actually suffocated by the awkwardness.

When they arrived, Jimin was the first one to enter, but he froze at the door. Both Jungkook and Hyojin wondered what stop Jimin’s step and took a peek inside the room. And the both of them ended up fozen like Jimin too.

Sooyeon was on her earphone, holding her phone. And she was dancing passionately, crazily to be exact, at the space by the bed. And she was mumbling along with the song, which seemed to be a rap song. Only a few words she knew was clearly heard. She eventually turned, facing the door and almost slipped in surpise at her sight. Jimin, Jungkook and Hyojin was at the door, eyes fixed on her. Hyojin just stared at her, with widen eyes while the two boys were holding in their laugh. Jimin couldn’t finally stand and let out an outburst of a really loud laugh, joined by Jungkook. The both of them were crouching, holding their aching stomach that hurt from laughing too hard. Hyojin eventually joined i , with a really light and feminine giggle.

The extremely embarassed Sooyeon awkwardly cleared and pulled out her earphone and threw her phone on the bed. She approached the three of them who were still laughing. Her embarassement turned into fury seeing them were making fun of her. She angrily smacked Jimin’s shoulder. Jimin fliched, but still with his laugh.

“Yah, you should be on Superstar K, or Unpretty Rapstar.”

Jimin then cracked up with his own joke. Jungkook and Hyojin laughed, too. Hyojin was actually really surprised and astonished seeing Sooyeon earlier. Maybe because she never seen that side of Sooyeon, she never expected that from Sooyeon. She never even seen someone danced like that. Sooyeon danced like she was in her own world. Her frivolous head banging and hip swaying really made her day. Sooyeon actually had the groove of dancing, but she was not using it well.

Sooyeon scoffed in disbelief at Jimin’s words.

“Yah, you really.. Don’t you know how to knock?!”

Jimin playfully imitated the dances she did earlier. Sooyeon sent him a death glare, holding in her fury. And when Jimin started to imitated her rap, she exploded. She grabbed his head and put it between her arm and body, chokeslaming the poor guy. Jimin tapped her hand while in pain.

“Ahh. It’s hurt, it’s hurt!”

“That’s what you got for messing with me.”

Realising how close the both of them were, Hyojin’s smile slowly faded. A familiar pain crept up in her, killing all the joy she just had earlier.

“Yah, how can a sick girl be this strong?”

Jungkook eyed them with a grin, but he was hurt, inside. He was trying to persuade himself, that the both of them were close. But he couldn’t help feeling hurt seeing them like that.

Sooyeon finally let him go, but managed to release another hit on his back.

“Hyojin a~~~”

She called her, and snapped Hyojin out from her thought. Hyojin smiled as Sooyeon approached her with a pout.

“Look what Jungkook did to me..”

She pointed at her bruise, with a pitiful look. Hyojin just eyed her, not knowing how to respond.

“Yah, I told you I’m sorry..”

A sheepish grin appeared on Sooyeon’s face as she turned to Jungkook.

“I’m joking..”

She tapped his elbow playfully. Jungkook chuckled, somehow pleased at her joke.

***

Sooyeon studied her face on the mirror, her finger lightly caressed her bruise. She then sighed, quite upset by the fact that her face was smudged. She then laughed at her own thought.

“It’s okay.. You’re still beautiful..”

A knock on the door startled her. Jimin popped up behind the door with a big grin. Sooyeon eyed him without a word, looking kind of annoyed.

“Why? I knocked..”

Sooyeon shook her head in disbelief.

“It’s already late. I’m a girl. It’s unappropriate, you know?”

Sooyeon exclaimed with her arm crossed, glaring at Jimin.

Of course, she was just joking. She actually didn’t care, at all. Knowing she was not serious, Jimin made a face and closed the door after him. He walked in and slammed himself on her bed, as she followed him with her gaze. He spaced out, looking troubled. She noticed that and quickly made her way to him. She sat down beside him, on her bed with a thud.

“What’s wrong?”

Jimin sighed, before turning to her.

“Earlier.. At school, the principal called me to his room.”

Sooyeon’s eyes widen at her words, surprised.

“Why? What have you done?”

Jimin glared her, looking a little bit upset.

“It’s not that. He said I can’t join the upcoming basketball tournament if I don’t improve in this monthly test.”

Sooyeon gaped. She knew that the tournament was everything to Jimin. He joined it every year, and that was the only thing that made him happy throughout a whole year of school.

“Then, you need to score in the test.”

Sooyeon thought that was the only way for Jimin to join the tournament. Jimin sighed, looking restless as ever.

“That’s impossible.”

Sooyeon smacked his arm, disagree with his negative thinking.

“Yah, you shouldn’t say that. You haven’t even try yet. I’ll help you.”

Jimin eyed her, unsure with her desicion. Just thinking about studying already had his spirit plunges at its most bottom.

“Studying is important for your future, you know.”

Sooyeon actually had already said that to him for a numerous amount of times, but he just wouldn’t listen. He really hated studying. Well, almost all people did, but they still studied. Jimin was different. His hate for studying had cause him to neglected it completely, literally. He was always at the bottom ten in any exam. And he didn’t care.

Jimin sighed deeply. He knew that, really well. But, he didn’t know. Studying was just too much for him. Sooyeon studied his expression that darken as the seconds passed. She knew how much this distubs him, he was rarely like that.

She grabbed his hand, and interwined her finger with his. He immeadiately turned to her, startled at her action. She look into his eyes with her pair of clear eyes. An assuring smile appeared on his face before she tighten her grip on his hand.

“You always help me whem I’m in trouble. This time, I want to help you, but I don’t know what should I do. At least, I’ll try to comfort you.”

Jimin just peered into her bare face without a word, touched by her every words. Sooyeon cleared , feeling a liitle bit awkward. She had never been this sentimental towards Jimin. But still, she parted her lips, continuing her words.

“I know it is hard for you, I know how much you hate studying. But, it is a part of life. We sometimes have to do something we hate in our life, right. But it actually helped us. We just have to deal with it. Your parent.. They must be really hoping that you will suceed in your life. You shouldn’t let them down.”

Jimin then hung his head low, accepting the truth behind her words. He took a deep breath before looking back at her. He then smiled lightly.

“Thanks, that really helps, a lot.”

Sooyeon mirrored his smile, pleased.