Chapter 11

By Your Side

Sooyeon paced the silent walkway as soon as she got out from the toilet. Her steps came to an immediate stop when two boys suddenly popped up in front of her. The two unfamiliar boys were glaring at her with a smirk, and she backed away. She instantly knew that the boys were about to do something bad. The boys followed her backward steps. She gulped hard and her legs were trembling. She never been in such a situation before. One of the boy grabbed suddenly her shoulder, and pinned her to the wall. She was about to scream but the boy immeadiately threaten her.

“Scream and you’re a dead meat.”

His voice was low, but it was enough to frighten her. She decide to keep shut. Her eyes started to become teary. The boy scoffed seeing almost crying.

“Yah, she’s crying.”

He said to his friend. His friend leaned closer and scoffed too.

“Yah, why are you crying? We’re not going to kill you. We’re just school students.”

Sooyeon looked away. The both of them were good-looking, but Sooyeon could not bear staring at their face. Are they kidding? Of course she would be scared. They had her cornered at the wall and was glaring at her like a pair of starving wolves.

“What do you want?”

She asked in a shaking voice, as she tried her best to keep standing with her pair of stagerring feet.

“Do you have money?”

Sooyeon swallowed hard before stealing a glance at them. She had money, but in her bag, in the class. She was always like that, leaving her money behind if she go somewhere. But she didn’t know how to tell that to these boys who was still glaring at her.

With an extreme fear, she shook her head, while keeping her eyes shut. She was too afraid to see what are they going to do after hearing her answer.

“I think you’re lying.”

One of them laid an arm on her thigh, which where the blazer’s pocket was. She slapped his hand away immeadiately, before looking into his eyes, pleading.

“I’m not lying. I don’t have it with me right now. It’s in my class.”

The one who had his hand slapped earlier, peered into her face, with his touge poking his inner cheek. Sooyeon started to sweat badly as she cleched her fist tightly. She realised her action had make him angry. She shouldn’t have slapped his hand, but that was an involuntary action.

He slowly leaned in closer towards her, even though they were already close enough. She tried to leaned back, furthering their distance, only to realise she was already glued to the wall. She shut her eyes, and ridiculous, creepy thought flashed in her mind.

“Yah!”

A deafening shout echoed the empty hallway followed by running footsteps approaching them.

“Yah!”

A deafening shout echoed the empty hallway followed by running footsteps approaching them.

Sooyeon opened her eyes and found out Jungkook was the owner of the voice. The two boys huffed in frustation as they turned to Jungkook. Jungkook didn’t even hesistate to let out a powerful punch on one of them. Sooyeon gaped in surpise at his action. The boy who got punched scoffed in disbelief before his expression changed abruptly. The devilish look that flashed on the boy’s face frightened Sooyeon. Worry filled every inches of her as the two boy made their way towards Jungkook. Jungkook stood still at his spot, not threatened. The boy made an attempt to punch Jungkook, but it was easily dodged and Jungkook once again punch him. The boy stagerred backwards as the effect of Jungkook’s firm hit. However, the other boy grabbed Jungkook from behind as the boy,preventing him to make any major movement. Jungkook wriggled, trying to evade the firm grip. The boy who fought with Jungkook earlier approached him. Sooyeon watched in terror, knowing the fight was not on Jungkook’s side. She knew she had to do something, or else Jungkook will be in an extreme danger.

Before she even had the time to think, the boy swivelled his fist with all his might, right onto Jungkook’s face. Jungkook didn’t had a chance to overcome the pain when the boy released a powerful towards Jungkook’s abdomen. Sooyeon squealed in terror as Jungkook let out a moan. Jungkook bent down slightly, trying to hold in the pain. The boy made his way to Jungkook again, trying to let out another blow But Sooyeon immeadiately stopped him.

“Don’t, Please don’t. I’m begging you.”

Sooyeon stared into his face with her teary eyes. The boy huffed in annoyance, before pushing her away. Sooyeon fell down in a swoon with his push. But she instantly grabbed his leg, and that stopped him. He looked down at her, and she was staring at him, crying. Her teary eyes peered into his, pleading.

“Don’t do this. He got nothing to do with this. You want my money, right. I’ll give it to you. I’ll give it. Just.. don’t do this. Please..”

Jungkook studied her action, feeling extremely wronged for her. He was supposed to prtect her, bue the opposite was happening. He felt really upset, and guilty to see Sooyeon had to plead for his sake.

The boy pulled his leg away from her grip easily, before approaching Jungkook. The two boys glared into each other’s eyes. Sooyeon swallowed hard, hoping the boy won’t do anything to Jungkook. He grabbed Jungkook’s chin and a sickened expession flashed across his features.

“What a shame. You want to become a hero, but embarassingly failed.”

Jungkook jerked his head away away from his grip, causing him to let out a scoff.

“You’re lucky that this girl know how to cool me down. So funny, this girl ended up as your saviour.”

He let out a devilish slow chuckle before signalling to his friend. The other boy let Jungkook go with a push, which sent Jungkook fell on his knees, before the both of them leave.

Jungkook remained kneeling on the floor, panting. He was actually panting in anger. The boy’s words ligered in his mind repeatedly, further deeping the guilt in him. Sooyeon rushed towards him and crouched down.

“Jungkook, are you okay?”

She asked in panicked tone, as her head moved around, trying to look into his eyes. She didn’t get to do that because he was hanging his head real low.

“Jungkook, I’m sorry.. Because of me..”

Jungkook abruptly looked into her eyes, stopping her from continuing her words. She also stared into his, trying to figure out what was on his mind.

“I’m sorry..”

Jungkook’s slow and cold voice penetrated gently through her eardrum.

“You have to beg.. because of me.”

Sooyeon’s gaze softened as she looked into his eyes.

“I don’t mind, for real. You are about to get beat up. And it was because of me. You should’t be sorry.”

Jungkook let out an audible sigh of regret.

“I’m such a fool. I was trying to save you, but you’re the one who had to beg for my sake.”

“Don’t have such a ridiculous thought.”

Sooyeon stood up, pulling him with her.

“Does it hurt?”

Sooyeon touched his stomach, and he cringed in pain. Sooyeon gaped, realising how bad it was.

“Let’s go to the medical room.”

“No, I’m fine.”

Sooyeon sent him a death glare.

“Are you crazy? I don’t care, let’s go.”

Sooyeon grabbed his hand and tried to pull him with her, but Jungkook glued himself on his spot refusing to move.

Sooyeon sighed deeply at his behaviour.

“Don’t do this.. You’re hurt. What if it get worse?”

Jungkook just stared her, his mixed feelings was bubbling up in him, knocking him off his conscience. This girl was too kind. The way she cared about him make him feel happy, even though he knew, she was caring towards anyone she was close with.

Without a warning, he pulled her into his embrace, burying his nose into her fragrant , soft hair. Her eyes widen in surprise at his sudden act, and she froze in his arm. After inhaling the sweet scent of her hair, he put his chin on her top of her head. He didn’t know the exact reason he did that, but he didn’t regret. Having her in his embrace was the best thing that had happen to him. At that moment, he realised, this girl had already held a special place in his heart, without him noticing. He knew, he couldn’t possibly gave up on her.