Chapter 8

By Your Side

After a few moments of silence, Jungkook cleared his throat awkwardly, as Sooyeon only played with her fingers. Jungkook approached Jimin with a grin, and put his arm around his neck, trying to chase away the awkwardness that was filling the air.

“What did you buy?”

Jimin turned to Jungkook before fixing his gaze on Sooyeon. He lightly brushed Jungkook’s hand away and went to the bed. Without a word, he put the food he bought on the table and picked up his bag on the floor.

“Eat this. I’ll come back when the class ended.”

He then left, passing by Jungkook like he wasn’t even there. He paced the hallway, making his way over to his class slowly. When he was at the end of the block’s hallway, he stopped walking. The earlier scenes replayed in his mind. He really didn’t know what was on his mind at that time. Seeing them so close together made him upset, sad and mad at the same time. Maybe that was unintentional, or accidental, but he was really unhappy about it. He sighed deeply. His feelings was really messed up. Seeing the both of them in that condition, the reality slapped him. He had stay by her side for all side, giving all the support and encouragement she needed. But that didn’t ensure that he could has her heart. Maybe he would be close with her for a long time, without having him in her mind. Sooyeon never once showed a sign that she had at least some feelings at him. She was just thankful that Jimin was by her side. Jimin was engulfed by terror all of the sudden. He could lose Sooyeon. Or he could have her by his side, but not her heart. He will ended up hurt anyway. He ruffled his hair harshly, trying to chase away his anxiety.

***

Jimin was sitting on his chair, staring outside the window when Jungkook entered the class and made his way to his seat. Jimin didn’t even turned to him when Jungkook sat down. Jungkook stole a glance at him before looking away. His silence and extraordinary behaviour made Jungkook uneasy. He didn’t knew the exact reason Jimin was acting like that, but his heart keep saying it was because of what happened between him and Sooyeon. He didn’t have a clue whether Jimin was jealous whatsoever. Even though it was accidental, and it was not wrong even if it was not, Jungkook felt guilty. Jimin spent most of his time with Sooyeon, and he really cared about her, like, super cared about her, it is not imposible that Jimin actually had a feeling for her. In fact, It is almost impossible Jimin didn’t held any feeling towards her. The way he took care of her, it was like, it was impossible to do so without any love. Jungkook was actually worried that Jimin really had a feeling for her. Jungkook scratched his head, realising how far his thought went. He was not even sure about his feeling yet. Well, his heart fluttered around her, but maybe just because she was so pretty. But his heart never fluttered like that, even though when a really beautiful girl confessed to him once. And there were tons of beautiful in that school. He didn’t noticed, but he was unconciously denying his feeling, terrified of the things that will happened if his feeling was real.

Jungkook finally handed the bread he was holding for all this while to Jimin. Jimin eyed the bread before looking at him.

“You haven’t eat, right?”

Jimin peered his face for a while, slightly touched by his action. The anger and anxiety that built up in him slowly fade away. He then realised, there was no reason for him to be upset. He didn’t even know what was going on between them. He grabbed the bread before unwrapping it. He was actually starving. Jungkook couldn’t help but to smile at Jimin’s response. He was just so glad that Jimin responded to him.

“Have you eat?”

Jimin asked while munching on the bread. Jungkook nodded his head, telling the truth.

***

Hyojin eyed Jimin from her seat. Jimin was spacing out as usual. The teacher didn’t enter, leaving the class in a pandomenium. She wanted to ask him about Sooyeon. Well, she was worried about her, but she however saw that as an excuse to talk to him. It just, she really wanted to talk to him, but she never knew what she should talk about. So , she found this as a good opportunity. She actually felt really mean, using Sooyeon’s condition to talk to him. But she was so.. Well she had to admit, she was desperate. The feeling that she kept for that one guy for 5 years, had her barely hanging on her sanity. She lost her words in front of him. And her title as the School’s princess really didn’t help her.

Hyojin took a deep breath before getting up. She really had to do it at that moment, or else Jungkook will be back, from anywhere he had gone too. The conversation won’t take that long, so Hyojin thought she would made it before Jungkook came back. She wanted to talk with him alone. And it would be kind of absurd if Jungkook was there. With a fluttering heart, and the butterflies in her stomach, she slowly made her way over to Jimin’s place.

She stood in front of Jimin’s table, but Jimin didn’t notice her. He was to into staring outside the window. She already felt like she failed whe she was not noticed. She cleared and called his name.

“Jimin.”

Jimin turned to her, before leaning forward.

“Yes?”

Hyojin’s heart was chaotic at the moment Jimin replied her. She wet his lips repeatedly before finally manage to control her heartbeat.

“Sooyeon.. Is she okay?”

Jimin nodded.

“She’s okay. But there is a big bruise on her face.”

“Ah...”

Hyojin nodded while looking away. She then swallowed hard on her saliva, tring to figure out the next question. It couldn’t ended just with a 10 seconds conversation. She actually had the questions scripted in her mind. But speaking to him directly almost brushed away her memory.

“Are you going to the medical room again?”

She finally asked the scripted question.

“Yes, after the school ends.”

“Can i.. follow? I want to see her.”

That was scripted too.

Jimin nodded without a hesistant. Well, she was Sooyeon’s only girl friend. There was nothing off about that.

Hyojin automatically grinned. She was extremely happy that Jimin talked to her, and she could spent more times with Jimin later. At that moment, she felt really bad. For using Sooyeon to be close with Jimin. But she couldn’t find another way. And, again, she was desperate.

The script she wrote ended there. And she was actually satisfied with the short conversation she had with him.

“Thanks.”

She smiled, and Jimin mirrored her. And she swore she wished she died at that moment so that his smile was the last thing she saw. Well that was too far. But she had no word to describe her feeling when Jimin finally smiled at her. She the turned away to leave but she froze when Jimin called her name.

“Hyojin.”

She slowly turned to him and blinked repeatedly. Her haeart beat insanely as she waited him to continue his sentence. As if she just confessed and Jimin was about to give an answer.

Meanwhile, Jimin was fighting with his own feelings, confused whether she should ask this girl. Maybe Sooyeon told her something he didn’t know, something he shouldn’t know. Like having a crush on someone. Perhaps, he could get a clue about, Sooyeon’s feeling. But was that necessary? In the end, he asked anyway.

“Sooyeon.. Did she ever told you... about... the person she likes?”

Hyojin’s face abruptly changed when she heard his question. She was somehow really dissaponted and upset, having to hear Sooyeon’s name from him. And the question.. He wouldn’t had care about it, unless he had feeling for Sooyeon.

“No.”

She answered without looking at him. Jimin sighed in dissapointment before he noticed that something was off with Hyojin.

“Are you okay?”

Hyojin snapped and look at his face.

“Nothing.” She immeadiately left as Jimin sent her away with his gaze, puzzled.

As soon as Hyojin sat down, her eyes started to sting. Her eyes welled up unexpectedly, and she was also surprised that she could cry because of that. She couldn’t lie, she was really hurt. And she was really sure that he liked Sooyeon, even though, she herself tried to deny it. She stole a glance at him, he was already staring outside the window. Jungkook then came into her sight, and sat down on his chair, blocking Jimin from her sight. She then stared he fingers, as the sadness lingered in her heart.

The fact that Jimin probably would never liked her, scared her, a lot.