Chapter 18

By Your Side

She leaned against the kitchen cabinet and exhale a small amount of air.

“Why am I mad?”

She asked herself.

“What’s wrong with me, really?”

She then made her way over to the stove and started to cook instant noodle. She had been starving the moment she woke up. Well, it was already 5, and she haven’t eat anything since the morning.

While waiting for the water to boil, her mind wandered back to Jimin. She really didn’t know why she was mad though. Somehow, she was hurt when Jimin just shruuged off her encouragement words. She was sure Jimin didn’t mean to do that and just wanted to joke around, but she really didn’t know why she took that seriously. Plus, she was mad that Jimin still think he was not going to score in the exam after the time she had spent to teach her. It not that she regretted spending time teaching him, but she was uset, she couldn’t help Jimin.

A sudden backhug make her flinched in surprise. She was about to escape the hug when she heard Jimin’s voice.

“I’m sorry. I really am. Stop being angry now, will you?”

The soft whisper penetrated her eardrums, nailing her feet on its spot. She could clearly feel his chin on her shoulder, and his warm breath hitting softly against her ear.

Her heartbeat started beating so fastly that she couldn’t catch her own breath. The giant lump in made it worse. She was utterly frozen, and her sanity was collapsing against herself.

Seeing no response from her, Jimin hold her tighter, closing the gap between the both of them.

“I’m sorry, okay? It hurt me if you’re mad at me.”

She couldn’t think straight, and her stomach was knotting severely.

“Fine. Now, let me go.”

Jimin let her go soon after. But he turned her around to face him and firmly grabbed her shoulders. He stared into her eyes, and Sooyeon swore, at that time, she felt like her heart almost left her body.

“Really? You forgave me?”

Sooyeon swallowed hard on her own saliva with difficulties before escaping his gaze.

“Yes.”

Jimin cupped both of her cheeks, making her to look into his eyes.

“Look into my eyes, and tell me you forgive me. Then, I’ll trust you.”

Sooyeon blinked repeatedly, her speech was robbed away by looking straight into his eyes.

“I forgive you.”

The corner of Jimin’s mouth lifted upward into a smile, before turning into a brilliant grin. Jimin the pulled her to the bar’s chair and seated her.

“Let me cook this for you.”

Sooyeon fidgeted in protest.

“You’re still sick. It’s okay. Let me cook.”

She tried to get up from the chair but Jimin immeadiately stopped her.

“Stay still. I got this.”

He then proceeded to the stove and put the instant noodle into the boiled water. Sooyeon watched silently as he diligently did the cooking. Her heart was still racing by Jimin’s earlier action.

‘I’m getting really weird lately.’

***

Jimin put the steel pot on the table before grabbing a wooden chopstick from the foodware’s container. He handed it to Sooyeon, who was staring at the cooked noodles as if it was some sort of weird mixture of chemical solution.

Jimin lightly tapped the top of her head with the chopstick.

“Why are you looking it like that? It’s harmless.”

Sooyeon stucked out her lower lips and grabbed the chopstick.

“Thank you for the food.”

She started devouring the instant noodle. Jimin watched her in disbelief.

“Yah! Eat more prettily. You’re a girl.”

Sooyeon ignored his words and kept gobbling down the noodles greedily.

She sudddenly started to cough severely and her eyes were tearing up. She pounded her chest repeatedly. Jimin panickly grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before opening the lid and handing it to her. She hastily took the bottle and gulped down half of the bottle in no time as Jimin lightly patted her back.

“I told you to eat slowly. Aigoo~”

Jimin blurted out as soo as she put down the bottle.

“I was starving.”

Jimin shook his head before he leaned closer to her.

“Are you okay?”

Sooyeon nodded without looking at him and continued eating like nothing happened.

“Slowly, slowly~”

Jimin silently watched the girl, and started to feel guilty. She must had not eat because she was looking after him.

Sooyeon’s phone rang and she took it, checking the caller as she swallowed the noodle in the mouth.

“Hello, Jungkook.”

The name she just uttered caught Jimin’s attention.

“Sooyeon, why didn’t you guys come to school today?”

“Ahh... Jimin.. He’s having a fever. His parents are not home, so I can’t leave him alone.”

“Ahh.. That’s why.. I called him, but he didn’t pick up.. That’s why I called you. Mmm.. You guys are going to school tomorrow, right?”

“Mmm, I don’t know.. It depends on Jimin’s condition.”

Sooyeon turned to Jimin, who was glaring at her. She quickly looked away in surprise.

“Ah.. I see.. Mmm, tell Jimin get well soon, okay?”

“Okay..”

“He better get well soon. I’m seriously lonely without you guys.”

Sooyeon giggled at his complain.

“Aigoo~ Poor you..”

Jungkook chuckled at her remark.

“Okay then.. Bye..”

“Bye..”

She put down her phone and was about to continue eating when he suddenly voiced.

“What did he want?”

Sooyeon looked up at him, and he seemed upset.

“He asked why we didn’t go to school.”

“Why didn’t he just call me, instead?”

“He did. You didn’t pick up.”

Her calm statement robbed his words. He cleared his throat in embarassment and rushed to his room.

Sooyeon followed him with her puzzled gaze.

‘What’s with him?’

***

Jungkook grasped his phone tightly, as he fixed his empty gaze onto the green field. The conversation he had with Hyojin kept on lingering in his mind, and it had been disturbing him since.

Flashback

“You like Sooyeon?”

He froze at her unexpected question. He slowly loooked up from his food, and set his gaze on her calm face.

“I won’t tell anyone.”

He inhaled, before leaning forward.

“How did you know?”

“It doesn’t take a genius to know that.”

Jungkook’s eyebrow furrowed at her words. Was he being too obvious?

“I’ll tell you one thing. You should confess.”

Jungkook’s eyes widened at her suggestion.

“You know, I’ve been liking someone for a long time. But I still didn’t confess. Because I’m a fool. And I’m a girl. You’re a man. You should picked up the courage and tell her the truth. Before she belong to someone else. Don’t regret.”

Jungkook spaced out for a while, absorbing her words.

“Don’t get me wrong. I just want to help you.”

He was still silent.

“I’ll get going then.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

His question stopped her. She stared him into his eyes. Before her eyes weakly wandered off to elsewhere.

“Cause I know how much it hurts liking someone that doesn’t like you back.”

She left, just like that. Leaving him fighting with his own feelings.

End of Flashback.

 

‘Should I confess? I should, right? But, can I?’