Chapter 2

By Your Side

Jimin slowly opened the unlocked door and slipped his head in. Sooyeon was on her bed, crying and the school uniform was scattered on the floor. He approached her with light steps and called her name, in hope she would look at him. Opposite to his wish, she kept crying as if she didn't hear him calling her. Jimin sat by her on the bed and eyed her. Watching her shoulder moved up and down from her cry, sympathy filled every inch of him. He himself didn't know why his father acted like that. He always wondered why his father hated this girl so much. His mind was filled with question on why his father would transfer her into his school.

Suddenly, something popped up in his mind. His conversation with his father past few days. His dad asked whether he noticed that Sooyeon seemed happy for past few days. Jimin who knew the exact reason told him it was because of the debate competition. Then it hit Jimin. Did his father did that to prevent Sooyeon from being happy? Jimin blinked repeatedly, trying to convince himself that his father won't do such thing. If that was true, he would be really dissapointed.

He had his eyes on her, who had her head on her knees.

He really hoped he could do something. She had been through a lot. He could barely believe when Sooyeon told her about her past life. He really felt bad for her, so he vowed that he would do anything to lessen her sorrow. He was always there by her side when she was down. He always there to hear whatever she needed to let out. Sometimes, she just lent his shoulder to cry and thanked him when she was done, without telling him the reason. But he didn't mind, as long as it made her feel better. And he wished he could do that, at that moment. It hurt him to see her crying. He would do anything to lessen her sadness. But he knew it won't be easy, he knew it, very well. 

Debating was the only thing that could make her happy. And she couldn't do it anymore. Of course she would has a mental breakdown. When she first told him that she would participate in the debate competition, she had a big smile on her face. He had never seen such a smile from her before, and he was really glad to see it. Since that, he had been supporting her with her preparation for the competition, even though he couldn't find anything interesting with the debating thingy. He really didn't fing anything fun about it. Once, he asked her why she liked debating so much. And he never forget her answer.

"Because I can finally stand for my words."

He could totally relate that with her real life. She was always blamed for something she didn't do, yet she couldn't stand for herself. She remained silent, unwillingly accepting the accusation from his father. With debating, she could finally stand for herself, or the issue, whatsoever. Jimin didn't know much about debating accept the fact Sooyeon loved it so much.

Jimin couldn't lie, he was actually happy to be in same school with her. At last, he could be by her side at the school. He has always been worried about hee at school. He always wondered whether she was feeling alright, or was there someone by her side when she needed one. But he guessed she was really against it.

"Sooyeon a.."

He called her once again, in hope she would at least cry on his shoulder. It really hurt to endure the pain alone.

"It's my fault.."

Her cracked voice penetrated his eardrums. He let out an audible sigh and held her shoulder gently.

"Don't say such things. It's not your fault."

Sooyeon finally looked up, peering into his eyes with her pair of teary ones.

"It is.. Only if.."

"Kim Sooyeon."

He said her name, stopping her sentence.

"They're destined to leave. There was no one to be blame."

She looked into his clear eyes for a few moments before bursting into tears. He instantly pulled her into his embrace and gently patted her head. They stayed like that for minutes before Sooyeon pulled away. She wiped her remaining tears with the edge of her sleeve.

"Thanks."

Her voice was still cracking. Jimin smiled.

"Are you okay?"

She took a deep breath before nodding. 

"I guess we'll be schoolmate from tomorrow."

Sooyeon had her eyes on the school uniform on the floor.

Jimin felt happy with her statement, somehow.

"Don't worry. I'll be by your side, always."

He gave her an assuring smile. She chuckled.

"Yea right. Maybe you'll pretend you didn't know me."

"Yah, I'm not that bad. I won't do that."

He said with a disbelief tone.

"You better don't. Or I'll pound you to death."

They broke into laugh simultaneously before it halted.

"Thank you, again."

"It's nothing. Just tell me if you have any problem."

She nodded, touched at his sincerity. He ruffled her hair and she slapped his hand away. He giggled, entertained with her annoyed face.

"Bye, sweety pie."

He got up from her bed and got out from her room as she eyed his every movement.

She was really lucky to has that guy by her side. Since the first time they met, until that moment, Jimin was always by her side. Jimin was the only person she had told her dark past to. She didn't even told her adoptive parent.

She half-heartedly got up and picked up the clothes from the floor. After hanging them in her wardrobe, she sat on her bed, spacing out.

Well, at least she had Jimin. It couldn't be that bad.