Chapter 7

By Your Side

She slammed her locker door to close before sitting down on the bench. Once again, Sooyeon let out a deep sigh. Hyojin who was putting on her sport shoes beside Sooyeon turned to her. She had notice that Sooyeon had been sighing for a few times already as Sooyeon changed into her sports attire.

"Something's wrong?"

Sooyeon who was spacing out snapped when she heard Hyojin's voice. Sooyeon made a face before lazily grabbed her sport shoes on the floor.

"Nothing.. It just.. I hate P.E. class."

She said as she unwillingly put her sport shoes on. Hyojin eyed her weirdly at her words, because that was extremely weird. Most of the students enjoyed P.E. class more than academic class, even Hyojin. She really wished she could just have this class rather than stressing out herself with all those academic classes.

"Why?"

"I hate sport."

Hyojin nodded, not knowing how to respond. This girl was really.. different. Hyojin studied her as Sooyeon tied up her long, silky hair into a ponytail. She mentally admitted that this girl was actually extremely pretty. It was not impossible if Jimin was actually interested in her. She bit her lip, wondering whether she should ask the question that haunted her mind for days. She finally collected enough courage, and parted her somehow-felt-heavy lips to ask.

"Sooyeon.."

Sooyeon answered with a hum and turned to her, expecting her to continue her words.

"You.. and Jungkook.. Is there something between the two of you?"

She finally managed to ask, even though with all the stuttering.

"We're cousin."

Hyojin gasped in surprise at her words.

"Really?"

Sooyeon nodded calmly. Hyojin somehow felt relieved, knowing that Jimin was close to her because of blood connection.

"But we're not real cousin."

Somehow, Sooyeon felt like she needed to tell her.

Hyojin's eyebrow knitted at her statement.

"I'm adopted."

Hyojin nodded with slightly apart, quite shocked at the fact.

"Why did you ask?"

Hyojin scratched her head, not knowing the appropriate answer.

"Nothing.. It just, you two seem close.."

"We are. We live together."

Sooyeon's words left her speechless. The uneasiness started to fill every inches of Hyojin. She was relieved earlier to know that they were close because they were cousins. But then she knew they were'nt real cousin, and that won't avoid them from having any love relationship. And them living together, that would made the probability of them dating higher.

"You guys.. live together?"

Sooyeon nodded, before she realised Hyojin's troubled expression. 

"Why? Something's wrong?"

Hyojin shook her head as she tried her best to hide her uneasiness.

Sooyeon knew there was something on Hyojin's mind, but she decided to let it go. She wasn't the type of person who like to force someone telling something they didn't want to tell. 

***

 

Sooyeon stood still at the back of the court as her other teammates were diligently moving, either to avoid the ball, or to throw the ball at the opposing team members. Sooyeon had been staying at the same spot for several minutes, only sometimes she would slightly move, avoiding the ball that was rarely thrown near her. She sighed as her eyes started to wander at the opposing team members. Jimin and Jungkook was on the opposing team, and Hyojin was in her team. By how smooth she move to avoid the ball, she knew that Hyojin was an athletic person. Great, all the person around her love sport. She really wished she had a friend that hate sport as much as her did, so that they could do something else when the others were doing something sport related. Her eyes landed on Jimin. He was really focusing on the game. His eyes followed the ball without failing and at the same time his body actively move around the court. His eyes suddenly hooked with him, but his eyes widen in terror as if something bad was about to happen. Sooyeon didn't manage to wonder what was on his mind when suddenly something hard hit her right on her face. A searing pain pierced her face, and in her fading sight she could see everyone was staring at her in shocked as a figure of someone was running towards her. She felt a hot liquid running down from her nose, before she out.

 

Jimin catched her falling body just in time. Gently, he lied her down on his lap and everyone started to flock around them. Hyojin crouched down and started fanning the fainted Sooyeon with her hand. Meanwhile, Jungkook stayed still at his spot, still absorbing the terrible fact that he just threw a ball hardly to Sooyeon's face. He didn't mean it. He really didn't. He was aiming for someone else who happened to be in front of Sooyeon. He didn't even knew that Sooyeon was there. When the person avoided the ball, it headed to Sooyeon who clearly didn't notice about the ball. He felt extremely guilty, and when blood started oozing out from her nose, the guilt engulfed him even more, preventing him from moving away from the place he was standing. He wanted to run towards her, but something was preventing him from doing so. 

 

***

 

Jimin stared at Sooyeon's bruised face, feeling extremely sorry for her. It really hurt him seeing her hurt.

The medical room door was opened slowly, and Jungkook appeared behind the door. Jimin didn't even turned to check who entered. He was so into staring at Sooyeon.

"How is she?"

Jimin sighed before leaning back.

"She's okay. We just have to wait for her to wake up."

Jungkook let out a breath of relieve. Then, he approached the bed slowly before landing his eyes on her face. There was a fist-sized bruise on her left cheek and there was dry blood on her crack of her lips. He hung his head low, feeling extremely guilty for her. He then eyed Jimin who apparently was mad at him. He hadn't talk to Jungkook since the earlier incident.

"I'm sorry."

"You should say that to her."

Jungkook sighed at Jimin's cold reply. He knew how much this guy cared about Sooyeon. 

"I will."

"I'm going to buy some food for her."

Jimin got up from the chair and made his way over to the door. When he was about to get out, he turned around.

"You want anything?"

Jungkook eyed him, puzzled at his question.

"You hadn't eat, right?"

Jungkook snapped from his wonder and nodded repeatedly.

"Just buy me anything."

Jimin nodded and left. Jungkook unconsciously smiled after the door was closed. He swore he couldn't find someone who was nicer than Jimin. Everybody saw him as a silly immature boy who loved to fool around. But no one really knew how nice he was. He cared about people around him, and he always do his best to help other people. There was once Jungkook was in a total mess because of his family problems, but Jimin was always supporting him. Even though he was mad at Jungkook, he still cared about Jungkook. He knew Jungkook couldn't skip his meals, or else he would had a severe stomach pain.

Jungkook's thought was disrupted when Sooyeon suddenly moved. He immediately approached her.

Sooyeon slowly opened her eyes and sat up with Jungkook's help.

She then held her head, as the sharp pain seared in every inches of her. Jungkook studied her action, worried.

"Are you okay?"

Sooyeon whined before looking at Jungkook.

"My head hurts." 

Jungkook bit his inner cheek, feeling extremely guilty.

"I'm sorry."

Sooyeon eyed the guy who had his head hung low weirdly.

"Why?"

"The ball.. I threw it."

Sooyeon was slightly surprised, but it didn't show on her face. In fact, she chuckled, somehow found the fact that Jungkook threw the ball at him funny.

Jungkook looked at her, feeling peculiar at her reaction. Why she was not mad?

"Yah, you seriously have a super throwing power. It's no joke."

Jungkook didn't find her joke funny. It even made him felt worse.

Sooyeon noticed his troubled expression and realised that he was actually sorry.

"I'm joking. I'm not mad."

Jungkook peered into her face, trying to figure out the truth behind her words. Apparently she was not mad for real.

"You're not mad?"

Sooyeon shook her head before giving him a heart-warming smile. But the smile was heart-melting for him. His heart suddenly raced fastly, that girl's smile was too much for him.

"Where's Jimin?"

"He went out to buy some food."

"Ahh, that's a relieve. I'm starving right now."

She rubbed her belly with a pout.

Jungkook couldn't help but to smile at her cuteness.

Sooyeon's eyes felt heavy all of the sudden. She buried her face in her palm, trying to rub the sleepiness away. But a searing pain when her palm touched her face sent her screaming in pain as she pulled her hand away from her face.

The surprised Jungkook jerked forward towards her. He instinctively grabbed her hand and looked into her face, examining her bruises.

"Are you okay?"

Sooyeon nodded hesitantly, feeling uncomfortable with their distance. Only then Jungkook realised their faces was only inches away. But he couldn't back away for an unknown reason. The both of them stayed still, staring into each other's eyes. Jungkook swallowed hard on his saliva. Being this close with her was really unhealthy for his heart. His hands was still holding on hers, and the warmth of her palm was really comforting for him, even though his heart beat like it was going to escape his body soon.

The door was opened abruptly, sending the both of them jerking away from each other. 

Jimin froze at the door, eyeing the both of them.