Chapter 5

By Your Side

Jimin dribbled the basketball away from Jungkook’s hand and easily scored another goal. Jimin cheered in joy while Jungkook huffed in frustation. Jungkook walked to the side of the court where Sooyeon was siiting at. Jungkook sat next to her and grabbed a mineral bottle. Sooyeon stared him as he finished the the water. He seemed upset. Jimin approached then and sat down beside Jungkook.

“Yah, Are you upset?”

Jungkook put on the bottle lid and threw the bottle on the floor.

“No.”

Jimin decided not to asked further. He knew Jungkook was angry. Jungkook was a really competitive boy. He will be upset if he lose something. He mentally cursed himself for cheering for his score earlier. But that was the first time Jungkook was mad at him because he lose with Jimin. Usually, if they had a game between just the both of them, Jungkook was not that competitive. He usually just play around , and won’t get mad if Jimin score a goal. But he was different, on that day. Jimin could see him determination in that game. Perhaps, it was because of Sooyeon? He didn’t know.

Jimin turned to him and he was glaring at the court, with his tounge poking his inner cheek. He obviously creating a tense moment between them. Even Sooyeon was staring at Jimin with a confused expression. She then mouthed to Jimin.

‘What’s wrong?’

Jimin shrugged and bit his lips, trying to find a way to escape the awkward silence.

“Yah, Sooyeon, you should learn how to play.”

Sooyeon’s eyes widen at Jimin’s suggestion. Sport was really not her thing.

“No..”

She didn’t even manage to finish her sentence as Jimin pulled her up to stand up. She unwillingly agreed.

Jimin then reached out his hand towards Jungkook, aking him to get up.

“Let’s go and teach Sooyeon.”

Jungkook eyed him and Sooyeon simultaneosly and his gaze softened. He then grabbed Jimin’s hand and got up. He immeadiately regret his action for being unrevelantly competitive, just because there was a girl watching. That was so childish. The three of them then proceeded to the court, a few feets away from the goal net. Jimin handed the ball to Sooyeon, and she took it. But she just stared it, puzzled without doing anything.

“Try shooting.”

Sooyeon gaped in surprise at his words.

“Yah, this is my first time even to hold this ball. You’re asking me to threw this into that freaking small net?”

Jungkook eyed him, surprised at her loud voice and harsh(well, Jungkook thought it was kind of harsh for her) words.

“Just try..”

“I will, but let’s have a debating session first. Topic is up to you.”

Both of the boys looked at each other, feeling extremely peculiar at her wish.

“I’ve never debate before. Plus, it is boring as hell. I won’t waste my time on that.”

“That’s my point! I’ve never played this before, you shouldn’t just ask me to shoot. Teach me something at least. Ayy, really.”

Jimin let out a deep sigh. This girl was indeed a debator. Jungkook chuckled, feeling entertained with their quarrel.

“Fine! Fine! I’ll teach you, then you try, okay, Princess?”

Sooyeon handed him the ball while sending him a death glare. Jungkook couldn’t but to laugh at her facial expression. He didn’t expect that side of her.

They spent 10 minutes teaching Sooyeon the right way to hold the ball and the how to aim precisely. They even demostrated, and Sooyeon mentally awed at their skills. The way they hold and threw the ball, Sooyeon couldn’t resist herself from admiring.

At last, Jimin handed her the ball, for her first attempt. She nervously took it and she fixed her posture, just as they taught earlier. She took a deep breath, feeling nervous, somehow. At some moment, she wondered why she even agreed to try this. She shook her head, trying to focus.

After staying at a static posture for moments, she finally threw. Incredibly, the ball went straight into the net. Sooyeon screamed loudly, happy and shocked at the same time. The boys yelled too, totally unexpecting such a clean shot from a first-timer. Sooyeon jumped excitedly as she hugged the both of them. And Jungkook swore, he really didn’t expect such a strong hug from a modest-looking girl. His first impression towards Sooyeon was really wrong. This girl.. was different. Jimin, however already used to that situation. Sooyeon usually did that when she was happy. Like whwn she told him she got to participate in the debate competition.

Sooyeon then let go the both of them, and ran around the court while screaming happily. She was seroiusly happy with the goal. She didn’t expect she would make it, truthfully.

Jimin watched her with a grin on his face. She must be really happy. And nothing make him happier than seeing her happy. He guessed he has to spend his time teaching her basketball after this. Not like he mind, though. He would be really happy doing that.

After one complete rotation, she took the ball on the floor and got into position to shoot again. The boys watched silently as she prepare to shoot. This time, she didn’t took a long time to shoot like she did with her first shoot. She confidently threw the ball, and again, it enter the net. The boys cheered loudly as she made her way over to them with a really proud face and both of her hands was over her head. She then high-fived them.

“Yah, this game is made for me!”

Jungkook laughed at her remark while Jimin scoffed.

“Look who’s feeling on top of the world now.”

Sooyeon smiled sheepishly.

“You have to teach me more again next time. I might ended up being the ace in the basketball team.”

“No.No.No. You have to beat me.”

Jungkook butted in, trying not to be a log between this two speakers. Sooyeon eyed him, and scoffed playfully.

“That won’t be hard. You lost earlier, right?”

Her words slapped him, and both Sooyeon and Jimin laughed at his changed expression.

“Ayy.. Really.” Jungkook scratched his head, embarassed. But he was not mad, though. He felt happy to realise that Sooyeon could joke around with him, too.