Chapter 13

By Your Side

When she reached the end of the staircase, she paused. She turned to the right, and there was a room. The door was slightly ajar, so instead of knocking, she peeped inside. From her limited view, the only thing she could see a gigantic wardrobe. She pushed the door further, and slipped into the room. Only then she could see that Jungkook had fallen asleep on his bed. Unconciously, she paced closer to the bed, her gaze fixed on his motionless figure. The guilt once again crept up in her as soon as she saw a bruise at the corner of his mouth. She didn’t had the chance to have his injury treated because of Jungkook’s bizzare action at the school earlier, hugging her for no reason. At the thought of the incident, million of questions blocked up in her mind. What could have been a logic reason for him to do that? Was he facing some trouble and need someone? Or was it because he felt guilty? Sooyeon really didn’t have a clue about that. But she thought what was important at that time was to get his injury treated. She was truly indepted to him. He practically save her life. If he weren’t there, what could have happen to her? Terrible things, really terrible things could have happened. She cringed at the daunting thought.

A soft whine was heard from Jungkook, and he was flinching. His eyebrow was deeply knitted, as if he was in pain. Well, he probably was. Soon after, Jungkook slowly opened his eyes and his eyes widen when he saw Sooyeon. He hastily sat up.

“Jungkook..”

She called out his name when she saw that he was just staring at her, without saying a word.

“Are you okay?”

She asked with a soft voice. Jungkook’s lips trembled in hesistation, trying to figure out what he should say. He was actually still astonished that Sooyeon really came to his house.

He finally nodded, without truly knowing the exact answer for her question.

“Have you go to the clinic?”

He shook his head, looking down at his fingers. He was actually embarassed on what he did at the school earlier. He swore he really regretted doing that. He was not on his right mind at that time.

Seeing his response, Sooyeon broke a deep sigh.

“Why didn’t you go? It can get worse.”

Instead of replying, he just kept on staring at his fingers. He almost jumped in surpise when Soooyeon suddenly touched his bruise on the face. Sooyeon immeadiately pulled away her hand, thinking that her touch hurt Jungkook.

“Sorry.. It still hurt?”

“A little.”

Silence filled the air, and the both of them was extremely uneasy with the awkward situation.

“Sooyeon..”

She looked at him when her name was called, waiting for him to continue his sentence. There was an audible intake of breath by Jungkook, as if something was really troubling him.

“I’m sorry..”

Sooyeon let out a deep sigh.

“I’ve told you.. You don’t have to say sorry. If you were’t there, I don’t know what could have happen to me. I’m the who supposed to apologise. You were hurt because of me.”

“No.. Not because of that, I’m apologising for hugging you.”

His words robbed her speech. She really didn’t know how to respond.

“I’m just.. feel guilty. So, I did that.. I’m sorry.”

He knew his reason was ridiculous, but he really had no other idea to cover up his doing.

Sooyeon softened at his words.

“It’s okay.. I don’t care. Just.. stop feeling guilty. It was not even your fault.”

He peered into her bright eyes. He was somehow feeling regret for hiding his feeling. If he really wanted to be with her, he could have just tell her the truth. But he was too coward. Too coward to be honest about his own feeling.

“Can you promise me one thing?”

She uttered with a hopeful tone. Jungkook immeadiately eyed her, intrigued on what she was about to say.

“Please go to the doctor as soon as possible.”

His lips carved into a lopsided smile at her wish. And a warm feeling blossomed through his chest. He was really pleased that this girl actually cared about him. He knew this girl was the type of person that really cared about people around her, but he couldn’t help to feel blissful. This girl even came all the way to his house to ensure he was fine. At the thought of that, he remembered something.

“Did you come here alone?”

“No. Jimin’s downstairs.”

Jungkook nodded, he expected that.

“Then, I’ll get going.”

Jungkook again nodded slightly, and a warming smile flashed across his face.

***

She scanned the living room for Jimin, but he was nowhere to be found. She started calling his name repeatedly, but he didn’t respond. She decided to get out from the house and look for him at the lawn. And she was right. He was standing by the pool, eyes fixed on the calm water. He was playing with the water with his feet. Sooyeon instantly came up with a naughty idea. She tiptoed to him, so that he won’t notice her presence. And he really didn’t. He was really engrossed into staring the water. When she was right behind him, she mentally countdown.

“Boo!”

Jimin flinched and shouted in surprise. He immeadiately turned to her, peering her with a disbelief expression. She was still guffawing, delighted that her plan worked. Jimin just keep staring at her,annoyed, waiting for her laugh to come at its stop. Her laugh finally halted and she eyed Jimin who appeared to be slightly mad.

“Are you mad?”

“Of course. Do you know I have weak heart? What if I die?”

Sooyeon scratched her head while grinning sheepishly.

“I’m just fooling around. Don’t be mad...”

She pouted and looked into his eyes. And at that very moment, his heart started to thump fastly. He swallowed the lump in his throat and looked away.

She grinned at his reaction. She knew he was not mad.

Sooyeon approached the pool and bent down slightly to take a look at the depth of the pool. She was curious as there was no pool in Jimin’s house, and her old house. Jimin just stood still, studying her childish behaviour.

“How deep is it?”

Because of the darkness, she couldn’t see well. She bent down further, eager to know the pool’s depth. That was when she lose her stability. Her hand flapped around, trying to contain herself from falling in. But gravity did its job well. She failed to maintain her foot on the ground and plunged forward. Luckily, Jimin manahed to grabbed her waist in time and instantly pulled her backward. The both of them stagerred, almost falling from the pulling force. Fortunately, they didn’t fall.

But, their faces was only inches away. The both of the realised about that at the same time, but either one of them did anything. They just stared into each other’s eyes, stunned.

And her heart started to react peculiarly. She could clearly feel her heart racing, pounding fiercely against her chest. In the soft light of the bright moon, and the dim light of the lawn’s orange uplighter, his eyes glittered gracefully against the dark night. His warm breath was hitting against her face, and somehow spreading an unfamiliar warm feeling in every inches of her. He was staring into her eyes too, and seemed to be as stunned as her to.

Miraculously, they somehow stayed in that position for a few minutes, before Jimin’s phone snapped the both of them. Jimin let her go and picked up the call. Sooyeon immeadiately cleared in awkwardness, and look away. She felt really absurd at what just happened between the two of them.

“Hello, mom?... Yeah, we’re going home right now.. Yes..Bye..”

After the short conversation with his mom, he hung up and slipped his phone into his pocket.

“Let’s go.”

Sooyeon eyed him, but looked away immeadiately. Her heart was still thumping.

Jimin walked away, and for a while, she just stared at his back figure.

‘What the hell is wrong with me?’