Chapter 26

By Your Side

Sooyeon put the washed glass on the drying rack and turned to leave. But she came into an immeadiate stop when Mr. Park came into her sight. He was leaning against the kitchen’s island, eyeing her.

“I have to talk with you.”

He uttered those words coldly, before leaving the kitchen and climbing the staircase. With full of hesistant and reluctant, she foollowed him, and the both of them ended up in his work room. The room was bigger that her room, and filled with books, and files. She rarely entered this room. The last time she went into the room was when she just moved in into this room. Which was whem Jimin toured her around the house for the first time. Since then, she never stepped into this room, because Jimin warned her not to.

Mr. Park was already sitting on his comfy-looking chair behind his work table, eyes glued on her she walked in. She stopped when she was about 3 metres away from the table. She stood still, waiting for him to say whatever he wanted to. But 30 seconds passed, and he was still glaring at her. Eyes filled with fury and disbelief. Sooyeon gulped hard, trying to contain her fear. Her mind wandered arong, trying to figure out what the hell that she had done this time that made him so  angry. She kept her head hung low, not wanting to has any eye contact with him.

“So, is it fun?”

She looked up into his face with puzzled face. She didn’t know what on earth was that supposed to mean.

“What?”

“Dating my son? How was it?”

She almost choke on her own saliva as those words slipped off his lips. A sensation of fear crept into the pit of her stomach, and the beast look on his face made it worse. She looked away from his face, unable to overcome her feelings. She gripped her fist tightly, not knowing what to do. Should she denied it, or admitted it?

“You guys are dating, right? Only couples cuddled each other under starry sky.”

At that moment she knew she was ed up. She couldn’t hide it anymore.

“That ring, Jimin bought it for you?”

She instictively brought her hand behind her, hiding it, even though she knew it woul be a vain action.  She remained motionless. The lump in were preventing her from answering him.

She had her eyes fixed on the floor, but she could hear clearly as he scoffed in disbelief, and in a mocking manner.

“You must be happy, right?”

Again, she didn’t respond.

“You must be so happy, that you forgot what have you done to my sister.”

A searing pain pierced right through her chest, and she looked up, glaring into his face.

“Even up to this moment, I still coudn’t be happy, because of my sister’s death. How can you live so happily, when you were the one who did that to them? You didn’t forget, right? You did that to them. Seeing you’re living like this, like nothing happenned, I’m the one that feel wronged towards them.”

By the time he finished talking, Sooyeon’s cheek was already drenched by tears, and her eyes and the tip of her nose had turned red. Her shoulders were moving up and down, sobbing sorrowfully.

“You’re crying? Just now you’re crying? Just now you realised what you have done? When I told you?”

She cried harder at his words.

“I was thinking about accepting all of this, and forgave you. But what you’ve done.. It just.. It hurts me so much. To know that the girl my sister adopt didn’t cherish her, even though you were the one who cause her death.”

He exhaled deeply, before leaning back, eyeing the crying girl.

“Break up with Jimin.”

She peered into his face. Her eyes glittered with tears, and sorrow, dismay, shock was potrayed on her face.

“If you really loves your parent, and you wanted me to forget everything, break up with Jimin.”

***

Her tears were blurry from the tears, but she was still staring into her family picture. She lightly carressed her finger against it, as guilt and melancholy spreading inside of her.

The tears flowed unchecked down her cheeks and dripped from her chin, right onto the picture. She was too sad to cry her head off or wail. The magnitude of her loss swept over her, and the pain she was trying to avoid for all the time easily climbed up over her barrier of strength.

‘Is it wrong for me to be happy? Am I doing a bad thing by trying to forget the pain of losing you guys? Am I wrong?’

***

She studied her reflection soullessly. Her eyes were still swollen from crying last night. She was too engrossed into crying last night, that she didn’t remember she had a party to attend that day. She actually didn’t want to go, but she had promise to Jungkook. She just want to lay in her bed, sleep, not wanting to think about anything. She was still messed up, and suffocated with Mr. Park’s words last night. It lingered in her mind, even though she was trying really hard to swpet it away. It haunted her.

She half-heartedly put on her compact powder and applied some lip tint on her lips. She was not in the mood to be pretty. Not like she minded though.

Her gaze accidently landed on the ring she was wearing. She lifted her hand, taking a closer look at the ring. The pain tugged her heart, and she was trying her best not to cry. She was afraid at the fact that she would have to face him presently. She was not ready. Everything was too much for her.

She decided to take the ring off, for the moment. She put it gently onto her dresser. But she didn’t really know what her action supposed to mean. She didn’t even know what was on her mind.

A knock was heard, followed a voice calling her. A voice that usually comfort her, soothe her, and make her happy everytime she heard it. But somehow, hearing it that time sent an unbearable pain to her chest.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the late update.