Chapter 24

By Your Side

It was the last day of the examination, and they were sitting for the last paper, Biology. There was only about one minute left, and most of the students already finished answering. Some of them were sleeping, and most were lazing around. Sooyeon had her eyes, fixed on him. Seeing his troubled expression, struggling to answer worried her. She admitted that the paper was quite challenging for her. And she knew that it will be really hard for him.

 In the end, Jimin just guessed the answer and quickly closed the question paper. He leaned back, and inhaled in dissapointment. He studied hard for this exam, but it was still extremely tough. There was not even a single paper that he could answer without difficulty. He was somehow certained that his grades wouldn’t get any better from the previous exam, and he wouldn’t get to join the basketball tournament.

Just then, the teacher’s voice echoed in the silent classroom, announcing that the time was over. The students cheered and clapped in glee. But Jimin just sit still, emotionless. Watching his reaction, Sooyeon unknowingly mirroring him, sitting still, staring at him, without any reaction.

The teacher shook her head in disbelief at their behaviour as she swiftly collected the answer sheet. As soon as she finished doing so, she told the class to that they could leave. And they did, right away. Sooyeon packed her things, and slung her bag on her shoulder as she made her way over to Jimin. He was impassively packing his things. She waited for him, and when he stood up and looked at her, she threw him a bright smile.

“How was it?”

Jimin fixed his bag as he drew a deep sigh.

“It is really difficult.”

She studied his distressed expression, and a block of qualms piled up in her chest.

“It’s already over. Don’t worry about it too much.”

A lopsided smile, covered with dismay appeared on his gloomy face.

“I guess I can’t join the tournament this year.”

He stated with a plain and dull tone.

“Don’t say things like that.”

She wanted to comfort him, but she didn’t how. She was clueless. And she was upset at herself for not being to able to do so. He always managed to comfort him, anytime she was facing any hard time, but why couldn’t she do the same?

At that moment, Jungkook appeared between them, with his arm on their shoulders.

“Yah, you know what day is the day after tomorrow is?”

Jungkook asked exitedly, his gaze correspondingly landed on sooyeon and Jimin’s face.

“Sunday?”

Jimin replied nonchatantly. Jungkook huffed in disappointment as he pulled away from the both of them.

“It’s my birthday. Why don’t you remember?”

Jimin’s eyes blinked repeatedly, trying to recall.

“Ahh, right. September first.”

Jungkook grinned, happy that he actually remembered.

“I’m throwing a party. Make sure you guys showed up, okay?”

“Party, my . You’re just 17. What party, what?”

Jimin exclaimed as he tapped Jungkook’s chest.

“It’s not that kind of party... It’s just.. Eat, and opening presents..”

Jimin shook his head in disbelief.

“Does your parent know about this?”

“Why are you bringing up my parent?”

“They don’t know, right?”

Jimin lightly pushed his head, and they started quarrelling.

Sooyeon just stared them, without a word. She was amazed how Jimin managed to hide his grief and trouble in front of Jungkook. Jungkook didn’t even realised that Jimin was actually distraught. She wondered for all the times that he appeared to be happy and fine, he was actually hiding thousands of sorrow and misery. Jimin rarely showed his unhappiness, and that somehow make her worried. What if for all this time, Jimin was actually hiding his misery behind of that bright and lively smile of his?

“Sooyeon, you have to come, okay?”

Sooyeon snapped when Jungkook suddenly mentioned her name. After a few brief moments  of spacing out, she nodded repeatedly.

“By hook or by crook, you must come, got it?”

“Yes..”

She answered, quite sternly to convince him. Jungkook grinned in satisfaction.

“Remember, no adult thingy at the party.”

Jimin reminded him. He knew Jungkook wouldn’t do that, but he just playfully said that.

“What’s wrong with that? You’ll like it.”

Jungkook said while giggling sheepishly.

“This numskull...”

Jimin sent him a death glare.

“Okay then, I’ll get going. Don’t forget to come!”

He reminded them once again, before finally leaving the class. The both of them sent him away with their gaze.

“Let’s go home.”

Jimin said, before grabbing her arm, pulling her.

***

Sooyeon walked into his room only to find he was at the study table, sitting with his back facing her. She approached him slowly, and when she was right behind him, she peeped over his shoulder, trying to figure out what he was up to. He was listing some items, and some of them were crossed out. He was so into it, that he didn’t notice her.

“What are you doing?”

Jimin turned immeadiately, surprised at her presence.

“Oh.. I’m deciding what should I buy for Jungkook’s birthday.”

Sooyeon nodded before leaning forward, placing her palm on the table.

“Backpack, sneakers, headphone, pants, snapback..”

She said it audibly as she scanned the list.

“Why did you cross timberland out?”

“I don’t like him wearing those. Even though he likes it very much.Plus, he has many of it already.”

“Beanie? Why you cross it out?”

“Beanie is quite.. cheap to be a birthday present.”

Sooyeon silently smiled, feeling quite entertained watching Jimin meticulously choosing a birthday present for Jungkook. Jimin was such a sweetheart and kind person.

“Ahh right, I’ve bought backpack for him last year.”

He then crosss that out from the list. He stared the list, unable to decide. He then looked up at her.

“What do you think?”

“How about this? We go out, and see if we can find the right item.”

***

Sooyeon’s eyes keenly wandered the store they were passing by. Then, her gaze landed on a grey hoodie, placed on the front row of the new arrival rack. Sooyeon promptly seized Jimin’s arm, dragging him towards the particular hoodie.

“Jimin, this is really pretty.”

Jimin cast an eye over the hoodie, and nodded in agreement.

“Buy this.”

“Should I?”

Sooyeon nodded exitedly with beamed eyes.

“Wait a minute.”

She grabbed the price tag and gaped in disbelief after seeing the price.

“Forget it.”

She was about to walk away when Jimin stopped her.

“Why?”

“I think they use gold thread. That is freaking expensive!”

Jimin’s eyebrows furrowed at her statement and take a look at the price tag for himself.

“This is okay.”

Jimin’s reaction surprised her. He released the price tag and looked at her.

“Do you this will look good on Jungkook?”

“Of course it will. But it’s too expensive.”

“It’s not always I get to buy present for him. The price didn’t matter. As long as he likes it.”

Sooyeon stared him, touched, even though he was not buying it for her. She really saw how much Jimin cared about Jungkook, even though they quarelled with each other a lot. She realised, she was really lucky, to have this guy as her boyfriend. Being his girlfriend made love towards him, grew, day by day.