Chapter 22

By Your Side

Jimin slipped his head into the slightly ajar door, before slowly entering the room when he couldn’t find her from his view. Only then he saw that Sooyeon was at her studying table, with the side of her head buried on the table. He gently made his way over to him, so that he wouldn’t wake her up. In his hand was a bottle chilled banana milk that he grabbed from the fridge earlier. He planned to give it to her as she had been studying since they got home. She must had been tired.

Upon seeing her sleeping figures, he immeadiately softened. It amused him how she could had that kind of effect towards him without having to do anything. From her face, his gaze travelled slightly forward, and it landed on a really familiar framed picture. His hand slowly reached for it, picking it up to take a closer look at it. It was the picture of the two of them from last year. A smile unconciously formed on his lips.

Nothing could really expressed how he felt at that time. His happiness was beyond imagination. He was extremely thankful that his fear for all the time he had liked her didn’t become reality. For all that while, he had been thinking that Sooyeon didn’t held any feelings for him. When he knew that she actually did, he felt heavenly wonderful. He even thought all of those was just a dream.

At that time, he mentally swore, that he would do anything, to make her happy, and not to lose her, no matter what. He had held the girl too close to his heart, and it was nearly impossible to fade his love for her away.

***

The deafening alarm tone from her cellphone woke her up immeadiately. She huffed in frustation before turning off the annoying alarm. She set the alarm tone that way, otherwise she wouldn’t wake up. She streched her numb muscles, before rubbing her eyes. As planned, she only slept for 30 minutes, and was going to continue studying again. Just then, she noticed a bottle of banana milk on her table, with a sticky note pasted on it. She took it closer, and read the wotds written.

‘Study well, dummy~ Fighting!’

Her eyes instantly lit up as the corners of tuned, pressing her rosy cheeks up, slowly revealing her teeth.

She peeled off the sticky note, and pasted it on the table, pressing it firmly so that it was neatly pasted. She then opened the lid of the bottle and began to gobble down, until only half of the bottle left. The drink was not that cold anymore, but she didn’t mind. It was still delicious.

She then took a deep breath, ready to continue studying. Somehow, miracously, she was pumped up, and hyped.

***

It was finally the exam day, and Jimin somehow felt anxious about it. He never cared about exam before. But he realised, that exam decide whether he was able to join the basketball tounament or not.

Jimin stared out the car’s window, biting into his nails nervously. Sooyeon noticed his anxiety, since they were having breakfast earlier. She knew what disturbed him so much.

Sooyeon stole a glance at Jimin’s parents at the front seat. They both had their eyes fixed on the road. She slowly reached out her hand, trying to took his. But as she was about to touch his hand, Mrs Park suddenly voiced.

“Today is the exam, right?”

Sooyeon retreated her arm at the speed of lightning, worried that she noticed her action.

“Yes.”

Sooyeon answered, meanwhile Jimin remained silent.

“Do well.”

“Yes.”

She replied, looking at Mrs Park, even though she didn’t look at her.

“Jimin.”

His mom suddenly called his name, snapping him out of his thought. He turned to her, but she still had her gaze fixed on the road, even though she was not the one driving.

“Jus try your best not to fail.”

Her words somehow hurt him. He felt like her mom knew how bad he was, and had given up hoping that he would score.He felt that her mom was not expecting much from him. Well, she didn’t knew that he worked hard for this exam. Her mom used to convince him to study harder, and scolded him if he was rebelling to study. But as time passed, her mom started to stop from doing that and just let him do what he wanted. That was because Jimin never listened. He thought studying was not important, and neglected it. His parent were already used to see his terrible grades that they just didn’t care anymore. At least, jimin thought they were. They actualy cared about his grades but they didn’t know ehat to do about it. Jimin seemed so streesed averytime he studied, that they just felt wronged to force him into doing so. So, they just let it be. At least, their son was still a sweetheart.

Sooyeon noticed that Jimin was taken aback by her words. So, she slowly reached out her hand, this time it really reached his hand. He immeadiately turned at her upon feeling her touch, and he was greeted by an assuring smile. She squeezed his hand, trying to convince him, that everything would be fine.

Like it was a magic gesture, all his concerns and worries miracously flew away, as if it had never filled his mind. He clutched her hand back, mirroring her smile.

***

Sooyeon was flipping through her exam papers, briefly checking her answers. There was still 5 minutes left before the first paper was over. After checking her answers, she stole a glance at Jimin. He was biting on his pen, staring into his paper. He seemed to be thinking hard.

Sooyeon bit her lower lips, silently praying he could answer.

She spent the last minutes staring at him. Watching his head tilting around, and his eyes blinking repeatedly, his hand occasionally scratching the back his head, and him biting his lips. She never realised how time flew, just like that.

The teacher annouced that the time was over. And at that moment, Jimin wrote his last answer, which he just guessed. And closed his question paper. He leaned back, waiting for teacher to pick up his paper. At that moment, he got an urge to look at Sooyeon’s direction. It turned out she was still looking at him. She noticed that she was caught staring at him, but she didn’t look away. Jimin came up with an idea, and teasingly blew a kiss at her. Her eyes widened, totally stunned by his unexpected action. Her cheeks reddenned in no time, as she looked away, flustered. Jimin smiled at her reaction. For a while, he forgot about the hard questions he had struggled to answer before. She couldn’t be any cuter.