Chapter 21

By Your Side

Sooyeon was packing up her things when Jimin suddenly showed up beside her with a big smile. Sooyeon looked up from her things and eyed him. Instantly, she stole a quick glance at Hyojin who was also packing up her things. Hyojin noticed his present, and was staring him with unreadable expression. She was uneasy, afraid that Hyojin would find out about their relationship.

“Do you want to go to the library?”

Jimin’s question added her uneasiness. She paused for a moment, clueless on what to answer.

“Ahh.. Yes..”

She hastily continued packing up her things. Before leaving, she turned to Hyojin, who was still with the unreadable expression of hers, staring at the both of them.

“I’ll go first, Hyojin. Bye.”

She didn’t wait for Hyojin’s response and hurriedly walked away. For some reason, she didn’t want to look into her eyes. She didn’t want to admit that what she did will hurt Hyojin. She didn’t want to accept the fact that she had betrayed her only girl friend. She knew, eventually Hyojin will knew about the truth, and she didn’t want to know what will happened after that, And she didn’t want to know. But for that moment, she didn’t want to think about it yet. Everything was just too early. Was she being mean? She didn’t know. And she didn’t want to think about it.

She was so engrossed in her thought that she flinched in surprised when Jimin held her hand. Jimin eyed her weirdly as she stared him, stunned.

And there went her heart again, beating repeatedly, suffocating her, knocking over her sanity.

Jimin just stared into her eyes, trying to figure out the reason she froze, clueless that he was the reason.

“Why?”

His voice snapped her, even though her heart was still racing.

“Nothing. Let’s go.”

She walked away, inadvertently pulling him together because he was holding on her hand tightly.

***

They just managed to found a table in the crowded library and was taking out books from their bag when Sooyeon suddenly called Jimin.

Jimin looked up at her, who was sitting in front of him and leaned closer.

Sooyeon wet her lips several times, nervous to say what was on her mind, and nervous because he was staring at her.

She fixed her gaze on her fingers, playing around with them.

“Did you tell anyone.. about umm.. us?”

“No.. why?”

Sooyeon looked up at him, but immeadiately looked away.

“Can you please.. don’t tell anyone?”

She didn’t look at him, anxious for some reason.

“Why?”

She scratched her neck, unsure.

“I’m embarassed.”

Well, that was one of the reason. But the main reason was Hyojin. She wanted to hide this from Hyojin. She didn’t want her to know. She didn’t want to hurt her.

Jimin instantly cracked into a smile. He somehow found her reason cute.

“Okay then.”

Sooyeon looked up to him, and peered into his face. He just stared back with a smile.

“What should we study today?”

His voice snapped her and she quickly pivotted her gaze to the books on the table before fiddling with them.

“Umm.. I was planning to study Maths.”

“Okay.”

***

She looked up from her book to his face when she heard a loud and long yawn from him.

Jimin rubbed his knuckles against his eyes before massaging his temple, trying to chase away his sleepiness.

Then, he was back to staring at the book, with his eyes forcefully opened widely.

Sooyeon was suddenly filled with worries. She was concerned that Jimin was drained because of his fever. Maybe he didn’t recovered completely yet.

“Are you okay?”

Jimin looked up at her with dull and teary eyes. He feebly nodded and gave her a faint smile.

She reached out her hand and landed her palm on his forehead. She was right, his forehead was burning and sweaty. She gazed into his eyes, panicked.

“You’re still sick.”

“Really?”

Sooyeon ignored him and started packing up their things. Jimin just studied her actions, puzzled.

“We’re going home. You have to take your medicine.”

He didn’t even get to say anything. Sooyeon already done packing up their things in their bag. She stood up, her bag already on her shoulder, Jimin’s bag in her arm. She went to Jimin’s side and pulled him up, and away, exiting the library.

Halfway across the school, Jimin abruptly stopped walking, forcing her to stop with him. She turned to him.

He gently took his bag that Sooyeon was carrying for all the while.

“I’m not that weak.”

He stated with a smile, with his eyes fixed on her stunned face.

“Let’s go.”

He then took her hand, holding it tightly in his before walking away together.

But after a few steps, the both of them stopped.

Jungkook who was about 10 metres away from also stopped walking upon seeing them. He couldn’t help from noticing that the both of them were holding hands. It hurt him somehow, even though he knew that the both of them were close, and touch each other all the time.

Sooyeon felt uneasy, and sneakily escaped her hand fron Jimin’s hand as Jungkook made his way over to them.

“You guys leaving?”

“Yes, Jimin has to take his medicine.”

“You’re still sick?”

“A little.”

Jimin smiled slyly as he replied.

Jungkook nodded slightly.

“Where are you going?”

Jimin asked, feeling peculiar at his present at the school at this hour. Jungkook rarely stayed back at the school, except for basketball games.

Jungkook squirmed slightly, clueless on what to answer. He was actually about to join the two of them studying at the library. But, for some reason, he didn’t want to tell that to them at that moment.

“I want to borrow some books from library.”

He decided to lie, and he didn’t know why.

Jimin nodded at his reply.

“Okay then. See you tomorrow.”

He threw a friendly tap on Jungkook’s shoulder before walking away, tailed by Sooyeon.

After a few moments, Jungkook turned around, looking over his shoulder at the back figure of the two of them. Once again the mixed feeling started blossoming through his chest. He shouldn’t be hurt or jealous seeing the two of the together. They were indeed close, even before he knew her. They lived in the same house. But, he couldn’t help the fear and pain from spreading inside him. He was afraid that their close relationship somehow would aroused love between then, and he was afraid, he would never had her.

‘You should confess.’

Hyojin’s words once again flashed through his mind, swelling up his determination.

‘I will.’

***

Sooyeon stared  through the bus window, her mind wandered carelessly trying to escape the distubing thoughts. She still couldn’t fade away the guilt she was feeling towards Hyojin. She knew, Hyojin liked Jimin way long before than she did. Hyojin deserved Jimin’s love more that she did. Hyojin had hurt more because of her feelings, more than she did. But, she had to admit, she was reluctant to just snubbed her feelings away, for Hyojin’s sake. She loved Jimin too, even though it had only been a while she noticed her actual feelings.

She took a deep breath, trying to ease her messed up feelings. She was supposed to be happy that she was dating the person she loved, but somehow these disturbing thoughts wouldn’t leave her alone.

She suddenly felt a weight on her right shoulder. She turned around slowly, only to find Jimin had already fallen asleep on her shoulder. That explained his silence. Her gaze gradually travelled on his face, capturing his every features. Even when he was unconcious, he was still able to make her hearts races. She smiled at her thought before once again staring into his face.

And she swore at that very moment, it felt like every cell in her body, every transmitted impulses in her neurons, were telling her, not to let him go.

She took his warm hand, and gently interwined his fingers between hers.

And somehow miracously, all of her concerns dissapeared.