Chapter 28

By Your Side

Sooyeon’s blood ran cold. Her eyes and mouth were frozen wide opened, completely in disbelief at what had just slipped out from Jungkook’s mouth. The crowd’s cheer and applause barely made it through her eardrums. She really hope that was a joke, a prank, a dream. She didn’t expect to face that kind of situation. It made everything even worse.

“The first moment I saw you, my heart acted weirdly. At first, I thougt it was because you’re beautiful, and it was just a normal reaction. I tried to deny my own feeling. But the more I denied, the more I got overpowered by my feelings. By that time, I realised. That I love you. For you are my song, the tempo of my breath and the rhythym of my heart. Frankly speaking, you’re different. You’re beautiful, inside and out. I know you’re shocked, and I understand if you’re mad at me. But I just can’t hold my feelings any longer.”

His calm voice expressing his genuine feelings somehow touched her, at the same time surprised her. The crowd was extremely quiet, waiting for Jungkook’s next action.

“Kim Sooyeon, will you date me?”

His words caused the women to squealed in excitement and the man to cheered loudly. And it almost knocked Sooyeon off her sanity. She stood there, motionless, her empty eyes staring into his hopeful and sincere face. Her hands were trembling, petrified to accept the reality she was facing.

The fact that the crowd was shouting ‘Say Yes!’ in unison didn’t make it any better for her. Her nervous gaze landed on Hyojin, and she was cheering, eyes beaming. Then her gaze wandered aimlessly into the crowd, and accidently on Jimin. He was at the far back, eyeing her with a doleful look. At the sight of him, her mind meandered off. To Hyojin, her late parent and Mr. Park’s words. She felt crushed and suffocated. The indecisiveness felt like it was killing her. She was absolutely clueless and puzzled. She didn’t know what was the right thing for her to do at that moment.

‘If you really love your parent, and you want me to forget everything, break up with Jimin.’

‘I just don’t know what to do anymore. When I failed getting his attention, I tried to forget him. But why is it so hard?’

Those words somehow conquered her mind, telling her to do what her heart refuse to do.

Slowly, her smile stretched out into a fake smile, and she nodded.

The people went crazy, cheering and shouting as wide smile slowly overtook Jungkook’s anxious face. He jerked forward, pulling her into his embrace.

“Thank you. Thank you very much.”

His sincere words somehow deepens her sorrow.  Jimin’s face still couldn’t made its way out of Sooyeon’s head. She really hoped none of this was happening.

In Jungkook’s embrace, she managed to glance back at the place where Jimin was earlier. But he was not there anymore. She closed her eyes tightly when it became teary.

‘I’m sorry, Jimin.’

***

Sooyeon stared into the pool, still bewildered by what just happened to her. Then something popped up in her mind. The scene where Jimin pulled her from falling into the pool replayed in her mind. She inhaled deeply, trying to overcome her sorrow and anxiety.

“Sooyeon.”

The call snapped her, and she quickly turned. Jungkook was approaching her with a smile. She hesistantly smiled back before looking away. The fact that they were officially dating was extremely bizzare and hurtful. And she didn’t has a clue abot her relationship with Jimin. What in the hell would happened between the two of them after that?

“What are you doing here?”

“To get some fresh air. It’s stuffy inside.”

She replied without looking at him. If she had looked, she would see the flash of dissapoinment across his face. Jungkook noticed Sooyeon became extremely quiet after he confessed. And he could obviously saw her troubled face, behind her fake smile. It disturbed him so much. He couldn’t help but to think that Sooyeon didn’t really want to accept him, and just did that so that he wouldn’t be embarassed.

“Sooyeon, you don’t really like me, right?”

She abruptly looked at him upon hearing his words.

“What?”

“If you don’t like me, just tell me. I won’t be mad. I shouldn’t be mad, anyway. It’s up to you. Don’t need to lie for my sake.”

His words left her speechless. She clenched her fist, pierced by the hurtful truth.

“No, I really like you. Why are you saying that?”

Jungkook looked up into her eyes, somehow uncertained with her words.

“Then why are you acting like this? You look so gloomy.”

Sooyeon bit her lower lip, clueless on what to say.

“It’s because I’m so shocked. I really didn’t expect this. And.. I’m embarassed with the others.”

Somewhat she felt like punching her own face for saying lies. Jungkook lightly chuckled when Sooyeon hung her head low as she expressed her shyness.

“Really?”

“Of course.”

Jungkook smiled in satisfaction and delight at her response. He felt tremendously pleased that he confessed, and she accepted him. He was somehow still in disbelief that she actually agree to date him. He really thought she didn’t has any feelings for him, and he would be diisapointed in his own birthday party. And he glad it didn’t turn out that way.

***

She got out from the taxi after paying the fee. Jungkook offered her a ride home, but she insisted to go home by herself. She was still too messed up to confront anyone. Once she arrived in front of the door, she noticed that the shoes that Jimin wore earlier were there. So he was already home.

A throbbing sorrow and anxiety immeadiately filled her. What Jimin felt when she nodded to Jungkook? What did Jimin thought about her, when she betrayed him? Was he mad? Was he sad? Was he upset? Did he know that she was hurting too?

She gulped hard, trying to endure the aching grief. She took off her shoes and entered the house.

Did she regret? She didn’t know. She did that for Hyojin, and Mr. Park’s words, completely neglecting her own feelings, and Jimin’s. She thought that was the best, but she didn’t sure. Well, at least she should try to get rid of her feelings for Jimin. And Jimin would probably did the same, too. It hurts, but she would do it. Maybe everything would be better soon.

Without her realising, she was already in front of Jimin’s room. Her foot was nailed at the groud, as if telling her to go into his room. She kept staring on his close door, subconciously hoping he would got out, so she could see his face. She didn’t know why, she missed him, as if they had been apart for a long time. She just wanted to see his face.

The door was abruptly opened. Sooyeon didn’t get to do a thing, so she just stood still, eyes fixed on Jimin’s stunned face.

His eyes were red, his hair was extremely messy.

Seeing his face in that condition ripped a hole in her hurt. It hurt her, really much, to see him in that condition.

Unconciously, tears started welling up in her eyes.

“Jimin..”