Chapter 10

By Your Side

It had been 3 weeks since Sooyeon studied in that school. Well, it was not bad as she expected, except that the school’s debate club was extremely inactive, literally terminated. She ended up joining the theatre club, but she was not active though. The students were mostly fine, only certain were cold, and love to sent her a death glare, as if she had done something wrong. Did she? But she decided to let it go, as that was the only thing they did. But she noticed something really unpleasent for her, the teacher frequently didn’t attend the class. Something that the whole class were delighted about, but not her. She spent the free time she had with studying herself, straight from book. It was not easy, but she had no other choice. She was studying from book at the moment, but the class was just too noisy for her to concentrate.

From the time she had spent being Sooyeon’s tablemate, Hyojin already know her habit. Everytime the teacher didn’t attend the class, Sooyeon would study for herself, a habit that Hyojin never seen from anybody before, even from top students. Sooyeon was seriously the most hardworking student she had ever met.

Sooyeon suddenly leaned back and huffed in frustation. She then slammed her book close. Hyojin studied her actions weirdly.

“What’s wrong?”

Sooyeon turned to her and shook her head.

“Nothing.”

Hyojin knew there was something wrong with her, but decided not to ask more. Maybe Sooyeon just wanted to keep it with herself. Something suddenly popped up in Hyojin’s mind. She always wanted to ask Sooyeon about this question, but she didn’t has the courage. She felt that that was finally the time to ask.

“Sooyeon..”

Sooyeon turned to her and responded with a hum.

“Can I ask something?”

Sooyeon leaned closer to her, curious at her serious tone.

“What is it?”

Hyojin looked away for a while, hesistating. She took a deep breath, before finally asking.

“Jimin.. Does he have a girlfriend?”

Sooyeon spaced out for a while, not expecting that kind of question from Hyojin. Sooyeon then cracked up.

“Are you interested in him?”

She asked in a disbelief tone. Hyojin shushed her, worried that Jimin would hear her. Hyojin took a glance at Jimin and luckily, he was sleeping.

“I just.. want to know.”

Hyojin made a weak attempt to hide the truth. Sooyeon scoffed playfully.

“Yea right.”

Sooyeon shook her head, feeling quite surprise to know the girl’s actual feeling. No wonder Hyojin looked so uneasy around him. Sooyeon noticed that, but decided to ignore her gut feeling. But it was indeed true.

She turned to Hyojin, and she was still staring at her, eyes full of hope that she would answer her.

“As far as I know.. He doesn’t have one. Well if he has one without I’m knowing, I’ll kill him.”

Hyojin let out a really small breath of relieve, but Sooyeon was still able to hear it.

“What kind of girl did he like?

Hyojin’s question got her thinking hard. Well, he never told her anything particularly. And he never told her about anything about the girl he likes. She never knew whether he had a crush. In the end, Sooyeon shook her head.

“I don’t know.”

Hyojin pouted in dissapointment as she looked away.

“Why don’t you tell me that you like him?”

Hyojin turned to her in surprise.

“What are you talking about?”

“Just tell me. There’s no point of hiding it anymore.”

Hyojin’s expression darkened. She really didn’t want anyone to know about her feeling. But she guessed, she would have to at least share it with someone. And Sooyeon seemed to be the most perfect person to tell it about. Perhaps, she could help her too. Well, she was close with Jimin.

“Since I first entered this school.”

Sooyeon gaped at her answer. She was totally unexpecting that. Hyojin was one of the hottest girls in the school. It was impressive to know someone like her could hold a feeling for a single boy that long. It had been almost five years, then.

Sooyeon was about to joke about how loyal was Hyojin when she saw her bitter expression. She seemed really sad, as if the feeling she had for Jimin was hurting her.

“I also don’t know, how can I like someone so much, for such a long time. I’ve tried, to fade this feeling out. I’ve dated a few boys, but it still didn’t work. I wanted to confess, but my mouth felt like it was glued together when I tried to. And I didn’t have the courage to do so. It really hurt me, actually, to have the only person you love is the only person you can’t talk to. This year, I’m his classmate, but I could count the words I’ve talk to him. And it’s really upset me, that being popular didn’t help me.”

Hyojin took a deep breath, and unexpectedly her tears welled up.

“I just.. don’t know what to do anymore.”

Sooyeon just stared her, feeling extremely sorry. She didn’t know liking someone could be this painful. The tears that welled up earlier began rolling down her cheeks, startling Sooyeon.

“Hyojin..”

She called her name softly and grabbed her hand. She gently squezeed Hyojin’s hand, trying to chase her sadness away.

She really wished she could do something to help Hyojin. Hyojin was such a nice person. She was the only girl she was close with. She was popular, but still, she was not embarassed to hang out with a lame person like her. Despite being wealthy and popular, she never boasted, or being arrogant, to Sooyeon, or everyone else.

At the think of it, Sooyeon might able to help her. Jimin was her cousin, she could do something, right?

“Don’t tell Jimin, please?”

Sooyeon eyed her with soft gaze. She nodded. Well, if that what she wished. Even though to Sooyeon confessing was the only way they could ended up together.