Chapter 27

By Your Side

“Sooyeon, are you done?”

She took a last glance at her reflection, and she couldn’t help but to think how shabby she was. She was wearing an oversized printed cashmere blouse with her skinny jeans. She didn’t even think before picking out the outfits. She simply didn’t care.

She grabbed her satchel and hung it on her shoulder, while making her way over to the door.

When her palm landed on the cold knob of her door, she paused. She was about to face him. And the fact scared her, for some reason.

She took a deep breath, and swung her door open. Upon seeing his smiling face, an unexplainable feelings crept up in her.

“You look pretty.”

She quickly dissmissed him by walking passed him. She couldn’t endure her contained feelings upon seeing his face. Jimin tailed her, not suspecting anything.

***

In the taxi, Sooyeon sat as near as possible to the door, furthering the distance between her and Jimin. And her eyes were glued to the outside, not wanting to have any eye contact with him. She was not strong enough.

“Sooyeon..”

She heard him, but she chose to pretend she didn’t. She didn’t know why.

A hand landed on her arm, and that made her to turn to him immeadiately.

“Anything’s wrong?”

She gave him a quick shook of her head.

“Why are your eyes swollen?”

He asked, with his eyes staring right into hers. She gulped as her daunting thoughts and disturbing feelings started overwhelming her.

“I can’t sleep last night.”

She gave a short, dry reply before looking away, escaping his gaze.

Jimin knew, something was off. And he was pretty sure her eyes swollen because she had been crying. From her arm, his arm move to her palm, affectionately squeezing it. She realized what he was doing, but she held in her feelings, keeping still. But she couldn’t control her heart. It was beating insanely. And an unknown pain was creeping up in her.

“Sooyeon.. I know something’s wrong. Do you want to tell me?”

Only if she could. She would really love to do that. She badly wanted to be in his comforting embrace, with his soothing voice telling her everything will be alright. She really wanted that to happen. That was what she dying to do at that time. But her uncle’s words that had been replaying in her mind was holding back her urge to do so.

Clueless on what to do, she pulled away her hand from his, quite harshly.

“I’m alright.”

She replied plainly as she was trying hard to held back her tears. She turned her head back to the window, not wanting Jimin to see her teary eyes.

Jimin stared her, stunned at her action. He guessed it was best to leave her for a while.

“Okay, I’m sorry.”

Jimin replied slowly as he distanced himself from her. Hearing his words, her tears fell. She quickly wiped it off, stealthily so that Jimin wouldn’t notice.

Why would he apologised? That would only make her feelings worse. She was actually feeling really bad for pulling away her hand earlier. She herself didn’t know why would she do that. The touch comforted her, but hurting her at the same. She solely puzzled, about what would she do.

***

As soon as the taxi stopped in front of Jungkook’s house, Sooyeon quickly got out from the taxi, and enterd the house, without looking back. There were already a lot of people in his house, some of them were eating, nut most were just hanging around talking with each other. Sooyeon scanned the crowd, looking for someone she knew. Most of them were the person Sooyeon didn’t know. She spotted two of her classmates at the corner of the living hall, and made their way over to them. She was not that close to them, but they were the only person she could hang out with at that time.

“Hye.”

She greeted them, as brightly as she could, trying to hide her sorrow. They responded warmly, with a big smile on their face.

Just then, one of them, Jaein, eyed her oddly, before gasping.

“Sooyeon, what’s wrong with your eyes? They are swollen..”

Sooyeon stuttered for a while.

“I don’t get enough sleep. Is it that obvious?”

“It is. But don’t worry, you’re still pretty.”

Jaein said before carving a wide smile on her face.

“It’s right. How can you still look beautiful with swollen eyes? I’m jealous.”

Yeri said with a pout. Sooyeon grinned awkwardly at their words. She was not used to compliment.

“Hyojin.. Where is she?”

Sooyeon asked, changing the topic.

“I don’t see her yet. I don’t think she’s here yet.”

Jaein replied as her gaze wondered the hall.

“By the way, i can’t wait to see her. She must have look so pretty.”

Yeri exclaimed excitedly. Jaein nodded eagerly, agreeing. Sooyeon just eyed the both of them. Not that she didn’t agree with them, She totally agree with them. She would look so pretty. But hearing Hyojin’s name further deepened her pain and guilt.

She hung her head low, trying to hide her sullen face from the both of them.

But she couldn’t hide it from Jimin who was staring at her from the very beggining. Jimin felt really troubled. Her smile and grim as she was talking was obviously faked. He knew it so well. He was certained that she was facing troubles. She rarely hide her problems from him. And the fact that she was at that moment bothered him.

Sooyeon who was oblivious that she was stared just stood still, eyes glued on the floor.

“Oh, Hyojin’s here.”

Jaein’s words cause her to turn at the door. Hyojin just entered, her gaze wandered around the crowd.

“Yah, she’s really pretty.”

Yeri’s astonished voice was heard from her back, followed by a gasp.

Yes, Hyojin was really pretty. So pretty that she had almost all eye of the people in the hall on her. The brink pink knee-length tailored dress that she was wearing fit her perfectly. Her long, wavy, and golden brown hair was falling brilliantly over her chest. Hyojin soon hooked eyes with Sooyeon, and a smile automatically appeared on her face. She waved at Sooyeon, as she made her way over to her. Sooyeon faked a smile, somehow anxious seeing her.

“Sooyeon, when did you arrived?”

She asked with a bright smile as soon as she stopped by Sooyeon.

“Just now.”

She replied shortly.

Their conversation was cut off by Jaein.

“Hyojin, you’re really pretty. I’m jealous.”

Hyojin smiled shyly at the compliment.

“Thanks.”

She then turned to Sooyeon, who was staring at the crowd, nothing specifically.

“Sooyeon, where’s Jimin?”

She asked slowly, not wanting Jaein and Yeri to hear.

Sooyen just blankly stared at her, lost for a moment. But soon after she shrugged.

“With his friends, I guess.”

Hyojin nodded slightly before glancing back at the two girls by her. They were talking to each other. Hyojin then leaned closer to Sooyeon.

“Do you think Jimin like this dress?”

Her question tugged Sooyeon’s heart. Sooyeon eyed Hyojin’s hopeful face. And thousands of feelings started cramming inside her. She didn’t what she was feeling exactly. But it was painful.

Sooyeon’s lips strectched into a light smile.

“Of course. You look pretty.”

Hyojin cracked into a bright smile at her words.

“Really?”

She asked with beamed eyes.

Sooyeon smiled wider even though her heart ache more. She then nodded assuringly. Seeing Hyojin’s delighted face somehow made her feel guilty. Was she giving false hope to her? Was she being mean?

Couldn’t bear the pain anymore, she moved a little bit closer to Jaein and Yeri, dismissing Hyojin.

“Where’s Jungkook, though?”

She was just literally escaping Hyojin.

“Upstairs. He is preparing for the performance.”

Sooyeon’s eyebrows furrowed at her words.

“Performance?”

“That’s what he told us.”

Just then Jungkook appeared from the staircase, followed by a guy holding a guitar.

“There he is.”

Jaein pointed at him, and Sooyeon turned. There was an intence cheering and teasing as he went down the stairs. Jungkook hung his head low, embarassed.

“Wah! So cool!”

Jaein teasingly shouted.

Jungkook and the guY moved to the edge of the living hall, where a bar chair and a mic with a stand was placed.

They took a seat and Jungkook tapped the microphone, testing it. After confirming that it worked, he parted his lips.

“Firstly, thank you for coming, and for all the wishes and presents. I’ve been practising for this performance. So I hope you guys like it. My younger brother will the guitar. I know he’s hot and charming, but please pay attention to me when I’m performing. Because I’m the birthday boy.”

The people laughed at his words.

“This is a very special performance for me, So please enjoy.”

The crowd applaused and cheer as he prepared to sing. At that moment, his eyes hooked with Sooyeon. After a note of the guitar, he started singing ‘Propose' by BTS.

His voice was surpisingly beautiful and soothing. His angelic yet masculine drove away almost all the person in the party. An it momentarily brought away Sooyeon from all her unsettling feelings and thoughts.The song that he was singing perfecly suited his voice. The appeasing strumming of the guitar perfected his voice.

When the song was about to end, Jungkook suddenly stood up slowly, bringing the mic with him. With him still singing, he gradually proceeded towards Sooyeon’s direction. The people’s gaze followed him, some were eyeing each other, wondering what was he doing. Jungkook had his eyes glued on Sooyeon’s face as he was walking towards him. Sooyeon gulped, feeling anxious at his stare. When he arrived in front of her, he paused for a moment, before reaching her hand, bringing it closer to him. Sooyeon was too shocked to react. She just peered into his face, eyes widened, her mind was utterly blanked. Jungkook sang the last line, and keep staring into her eyes. Silence surrounded them, only slow whisper was heard. Sooyeon’s heart was racing due to her extreme angst. All of the people’s eyes were on them.

After a few moment, Jungkook brought up the mic close to his lips.

“Sooyeon, I like you.”