Chapter 29

By Your Side

The both of them remained motionless, staring into each other eyes, lost in their own worlds. After muttering his name, froze. She didn’t know what to say. She couldn’t say anything. What should she say anyway? Sorry? Heck. She didn’t know, and she felt extremely contemptible to say anything.

At last, Jimin, dismissed her, and walked pass her towards the downstairs, like she wasn’t even there. That was when her welled tears fell down. She was trembling, attempting to held in her sadness. She could clearly see the coldness in his eyes as he looked away from her. She had never seen such coldness from him before. Well, she deserved this, it was her fault. That was how things supposed to go, right? She took a deep breath, and entered her room. As soon as she sat down on her bed, she burst out crying. She had been holding in her feelings since the party, and she just could not anymore.

It really hurt her that their relationship turned out like this.

***

Sooyeon went out from her room, approaching the staircase. When she arrived at the staircase, she could see that Jimin already at the didning table. He didn’t go to her room, like he always did. Well, what did she expect? Him not changing after what she did?

Sooyeon soulessly went down the stairs, and took a seat beside Jimin. Jimin just keep eating, like nothing happened. After stealing a glance at him, she leaned back, instead of started eating her breakfast.

“Aren’t you eating?”

Mrs. Park asked after noticing.

“No, I’m full.”

“Don’t do that.. You should eat.”

“No, I’m really full now. I’ll get something to eat at school later.”

“Make sure you do.”

Sooyeon slightly nodded at her, before she stealthily looking at Jimin. He didn’t say a word, and his eyes was glued on the food he was eating emotionlessly. Seeing him being extremely different to his bright self really heaved her soul. He wouldn’t be like this for a long time, did he? He would get over soon, right? And she should try doing the same, too. It hurts, but everything would cleared off in no time. She took a deep  breath, trying to convince herself that she made the right decision.

Meanwhile, Mr. Park had been studying the two, and he noticed that something was clearly off. Perhaps, by any way, Sooyeon really did what he told her to do?

***

As soon as Sooyeon stepped into the class, she was greeted with a pile of teases and cheers. She kept an awkward smile on her face as she walked to her place. The noise halted when she sat down, but Hyojin continued by teasing her.

“Wa~ The newlywed is here~~”

“Newlywed, my . Stop it.”

She said as she took out her stuff from her bag.

“Don’t be mad..”

Hyojin said with a pout as she hugged her arm.

“Fine, fine. Stop clinging.”

Hyojin smiled sheepishly as she pulled away.

Just then, Sooyeon sensed a presence of someone in front of her table, alongside with her classmates’ cheer. She looked up, and saw Jungkook, with a wide smile on her face.

“I bought you a bread.”

He placed a red bean bread on her table, and she mentally sighed. Red bean was not her thing, in fact, she hated it. Not many people knew. But Jimin knew it, so well.

She got an urge to look at Jimin at that moment, and her heart almost fell when she realized he was looking at her, too, eyes filled with emptiness. He looked away immeadiately, and she did, too. She plastered a simle on her face, as she reached for the bread.

“Thank you.”

“Make sure you eat it.”

She nodded, and he left. She eyed the bread, before once again stealing a glance at Jimin.

When would it be less painful?

***

Sooyeon was from the kitchen, on her way to go back to her room when she saw Jimin at the lawn, fron the window at the living hall. She paused, staring at him who was sitting on the bench, spacing out into the dark. After a few minutes having an internal debating, she decided to go to him, at least to clear some things up.

Her racing heart started beating faster when she was about two metres away from him. He had his left side facing her, and was still oblivious by her present.

She took a really deep breath, and called him.

“Jimin.”

She didn’t why, but she felt an ache on her chest when she said his name.

He turned, her expression remained the same, and he peered into her face, without a word.

She satred back into his eyes, and she realized, his eyes didn’t filled by anything but emptiness. It was so different than before. Her eyes used to beam, everytime he saw her. The longer she stare, the emtptier his eyes were. She looked away, unable to look into the dullness of his eyes anymore. She knew it was her fault.

“I’m..”

She stuttered because she felt like tearing up at that moment.

“I’m sorry.”

She completed her words and swallowed hard on the lump in .

“For what?”

His dull voice penetrated her eardrum, further deepened the guilt and grief in her. She took the courage to look at his face, only to find his exprensionless features were soullessly staring at her. Damn, what had she done to him?

And his question, how shouls she answer that? What should she say?

“For everything..” At last, she said that. She meaned it.

Her slow voice was followed by dead silence. He just keep staring at her, without saying anything. She started to become uneasy. Her heart was thumping violently against her chest because of his gaze. He then looked away into the dark.

She stood there, motionless, wasn’t sure what she was waiting for.

“Why did you date me if you’re going to leave me anyway?”

The question slapped her, sending her soul plummeting all the way to the ground.

From the dark, his gaze pivotted to her face. This time, his eyes were no longer empty. Instead, it was filled with dissapointment, anger, fury, disbelief and misery.

“Why did you say you like me if in the reality you like Jungkook?”

‘No, I don’t like him, I like you.’

“Why don’t you just say no to me, instead of pretending that you like me, and you’re happy to date me?”

‘No, I’m not pretending.’

“I don’t understand. You just can say that you don’t like me in the first place. Why must you lie to me?”

‘No, I’m not lying.’

“Is it that fun playing around with my feelings?”

Sooyeon stared his glassy eyes, mixed feelings of sorrow and guilt were piling up in her. She was trying really hard not to burst out crying, and not to jerk into his embrace, telling him all her contained feelings.

Jimin looked away as his tears started to roll down his cheeks. And Sooyeon swore, at that time, she wanted to kill herself for doing this to him. She never saw him crying, but he did, because of her. He exhaled harshly, as he stood up, and walked away. Leaving Sooyeon alone battling with her own feelings.