Chapter 20

By Your Side

As the daylight streamed through her curtained windows that morning, and she felt the warmth of the morning sun on her face, she woke fully to the wonderful memory of last night, and how Jimin had taken her in his arms and declared his love for her. As she sat up and stepped out of her bed, she felt her heard racing, pounding fiercely within her chest, and she placed her arms around herself tightly, holding her beating chest. Does he really love her, could this dream really be coming true? The bigger question was, did she really loved him? She was not sure. But when Jimin confessed last night, she felt extremely happy, in fact that was the one of the happiest moment she had ever had. Involuntarily, her lips curled up into a bright smile. She then knew the reason of her heart peculiar reaction around him. She was in love wih him, without she even realising it. She didn’t know when did she started to like him, but she was sure she had completely fallen for him now. At the thought of then, she cringed in joy before hugging her giant plushy tightly, burying her face in it.

Then it hit her.

Hyojin. What about her? She had been liking Jimin for a long time. And Sooyeon could see how much she liked Jimin by the way she was telling it to Sooyeon the other day. She even cried. How hurt could she be if she knew about this? Mixed feelings started bubbling up in her chest. What should she do? Should she put aside Hyojin’s feelings, so she could be happy with Jimin? Should she be selfish?

She shook her head, trying to chase away her thoughts.

‘Let’s just don’t think about this yet.’

She then got up from her bed, grabbed her towel and went into the toilet.

***

She stared her reflection in the mirror, with her hand holding up her hair into ponytail.

“Should I tie my hair?”

After a numerous amount of thinking, she took the headband from the dresser and tied her hair up. She rarely tied her hair, but something made her wanted to do it that day. Well, it was mainly because she wanted to be prettier for him. She cringed at the thought. It was really unbelievable that she was dating Jimin.

A knock on the door snapped her.

“Sooyeon.. Are you ready?”

Upon hearing his voice, she started to fidgeted uneasily.

“Ah.. Yes!”

She screamed back at him. She studied her reflection for the last time at fixed her bang. She grabbed her back and went to the door.

She nervously twisted the door knob. He was right in front of the door, eyeing her with a big smile on his face.

“I’ve prepared the breakfast.”

She gaped at his words.

“You.. what?”

Jimin grabbed her hand and pulled her downstairs, to the dining hall.

“It’s nothing special. Just toast and jam.”

Sooyeon eyed him, touched, and slightly embarassed. He had troubled himself to prepare the breakfast for the both of them.

Jimin the dragged her to the chair and seated her down. Before he sat beside her.

“Let’s eat.”

Sooyeon stole a glance at him who was spreading the jam on the toast.

Her chest was blooming with happiness and joy.

“Here.”

Jimin handed her the toast that was already spreaded with the jam. She turned to him, startled. Then, she slowly took the toast and eat it.

She couldn’t be more thankful for having this guy as her boyfriend.

***

They were walking to the bustop, side by side, with slow pace.

“You.. have fully recovered?”

Sooyeon finally said something to him. He turned to her with a light smile.

“Umm. My fever dissapeared right away when you said you like me too.”

In no time, her cheeks flushed bright pink. Jimin couldn’t help to crack into a smile upon seeing her. She rarely blushed, but if she did, she was beyond cute.

“You look pretty with your hair like that.”

She looked down, the embarassment was building up in him. So, he noticed.

“Thank you.”

She said slowly, not looking at him.

“Oh! The bus is here.”

She didn’t even get to look up at the bus. He quickly pulled her towards the crowd that was trying to get into bus.

He put his arm around her shoulders, protecting her from the crowd. Sooyeon couldn’t hide her happined. Her pink lips was curling up into a light smile, and she kept on staring at his face, that was only inches away. And she was lost in his fragrance.

They finally get into the bus, and managed to get a seat for the both of them.

As soon as she sat down, she fixed her gaze outside. She was still shy to look at him.

Suddenly, she felt his hand folding over hers, palm-kissing. She turned around to him, and he smiled.

After spacing out for a moment, she mirrored his smile.

***

The first thing Sooyeon saw when she walked into the class was Hyojin. She had her eyes fixed on Jimin, who went in just before her, and was walking to his place. Sooyeon looked down, and the disturbing thought was overtaking her mind again.

She slowly proceeded to her place with all of the thoughts haunting her.

When she almost reached her seat, Hyojin finally turned to her with a smile on her face.

“I miss you..”

Sooyeon tucked out her lower lip in a playful manner as she put her bag on the chair.

“Yea right.”

Sooyeon sat down, and Hyojin right away leaned over to her.

“What happened? Why you guys didn’t come to school?”

Sooyeon eyed Hyojin who was staring at her, eagerly waiting for the answer.

“Jimin had a fever. His parent are not home, so I can’t leave him alone.”

She stole a glance at Hyojin, and she could see the uneasiness flashed across her features.

“He’s okay now?”

Sooyeon nodded without looking at her. She quickly dismissed her by taking out a book from her book and read it. The haunting thoughts were disturbing her, and she couldn’t bear looking at Hyojin any longer.