Chapter 14

By Your Side

Sooyeon entered the library and looked around for a suitable spot. But her eyes landed on Jimin, at the very back of the library, who was really focused on reading something. He was oblivious that Sooyeon was staring at him. Without a second thought, she sauntered her way over to him. When she reached his table, she tilted her head, trying to figure out what he was reading with so much concentration. To her surprise, he was reading Chemistry reference book. Even with she standing just beside him, he was still unaware about her presence. He was so into staring the structural formula of the carbon compounds, trying to figure out how in the hell it looked like that.

She knocked the table, and that caught his attention. He turned to her, and she was smiling brightly.

“Are you studying?”

Jimin sighed before nodding. He then slouched backward in the chair.

“I don’t get a thing.”

Sooyeon quickly took the empty seat beside him.

“If you want to study Chemistry, you have to start from the beggining. They are related. If you didn’t master the first topic, it’s impossible to master the others.”

She explained calmly. Jimin ran his fingers through his messy hair.

“It’s too late to study everything. The exam is next week.”

“Nothing’s impossible. I’ll help you.”

Sooyeon lips cracked into an assuring smile, hoping he won’t give up .Actually, she was really glad. It was the first time he showed some interests in studying.

“Fine.”

She smiled even brighter at his respond. Delightly, she flipped the book to the very first topic.

“So.. let me introduce you to the elements..”

Her cheerful tone and expression brought smile to his face.

Just like that, they spent the next two hours studying the first topic. Jimin had to admit, it was really hard to keep up. All those symbols and names mixed up in his head, and he could barely remembered any. But, Sooyeon patiently explained about everything, repeating the things that Jimin didn’t get, drawing a sketch to make him understand better. She even told him the formula to memorize all those elements. They would sometimes joked around, talking about the things that weren’t related to Chemistry. But Jimin couldn’t lie, he enjoyed the studying session. Because for the first time, he could understand a thing, and she was with him. The both of them had a great time, that they didn’t even realise it was already late.

They only realised when suddenly a deafening booming of thunder was heard from the sky. The both of them looked outside the window simultaneously. The sunshine was already blocked by the pile of thick, grey clouds. That was when lighting suddenly struck, bringing a brilliant shock of white in the graphite sky.

Sooyeon flinched in surprise and immeadiately looked away. Her heart was beating irregularly, and in no time, she was already trembling in trepidation. Jimin noticed her action and realised that she was scared. She was always scared of thunderstorm and lightning. It reminded her to the incident that claimed her parent’s life. Everytime a thunderstorm occured, she would go to Jimin’s room, and she would stay in Jimin’s arm, throughout the thunderstorm.

Jimin grabbed her hand and she turned to him.

“We have to go. The library is closing.”

She looked around, and just realised that they were the only person left in the library. She nodded before packing up her things. Jimin started doing the same, too.

 

They stepped out from the library and Jimin quickly pulled out his phone from his pocket before making a call. After a short conversation, he hung up.

“My mom’s on the way, but she’s going to be late. It was raining heavily there.”

Sooyeon nodded before eyeing the sky. It was still not raining at the school, but she was sure it was going to be any soon.

“We have to go to the bustop before it starts raining.”

Jimin then grabbed her palm and started walking fastly towards the main gate of the school. The library was built in a separate building, and it was the most isolated structure in the school.

They were already halfway when they got the first splatter of rain. Shortly after, the rain poured down in crazy chaotic drops, and the gusting wind made them almost losing their footing. Jimin swiftly pulled her to the nearby tree, as that was the only thing that could be their shelter in the gigantic park at the middle of the school. Even under the shady tree, the rain could hit them. Jimin took off his blazer and held in above Sooyeon’s head. She turned and looked up at him, surprised at his action. Jimin was looking into the sky with troubled expression, before he also turned to look at her.

And the both of them froze. And the bizzarre reaction of her heart took place again.

The raindrops were rolling down his face. And the droplets were clinging to his bangs. She didn’t know why, but seeing him like that up close made her heart fluttered like it had never been before.

Then it hit her like a ton of bricks. Jimin couldn’t be in rain. He would had a severe flu and fever.  Panicked, she took over the blazer and stood closer. She then held it higher, above the both of them. Only then she realised that they were really close, like, super close.

Jimin couldn’t even feel the droplets of rain rolling down his face anymore. He felt utterly numb, being that close to her. And she won’t stop staring into his eyes, like there was something in his eyes.

The both of them kept on staring into each other’s eyes in a static position for minutes, lost in their own world.

Until a loud bang echoed the entire school, and a bright light flashed before their eyes. Sooyeon screamed in terror before letting go of the blazer that she was holding, sending it plumitting into the wet ground. She instantly entered Jimin’s embrace, like she always did when she was scared because of the lighting. The heavy rain that somehow found its way through the shady leaves poured onto the both of them, and they were soaking wet in no time. But that didn’t disturb Sooyeon. Her insanely fast heartbeat did. She really had no idea why she was feeling this way. She didn’t know why being in his embrace had this kind of effect towards her. She had been in a similar situation for a numerous amounts of time before. But this is the first time she felt this way.

At that moment, she felt a light pat on her back, the thing Jimin used to do the calm her. Even that fastened her heartbeat . She wanted to leave his embrace, because her rapid heartbeat suffocated her. But she also wanted to stay, because the warmness of his embrace was comforting and securing. And she was really happy, just to lay her head on his chest, having her arms around his waist, and being able to hear his soft breathing. At that time, she unconciously wished, that she could stay like that, forever.