A PROMISE AFTER 15 SUMMERS

15 SUMMERS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*

It was mid-September, summertime, and instead of being excited for autumn, she’s filled with sorrow. In her 26 years of existence, she has been a responsible child, a kind neighbor, a good friend, a passionate music teacher, a talented woman, name it. Everything’s Kim Taeyeon.

And though her family is poor, she didn’t complain or ask for a lavish lifestyle. But it was her dream to give that to her family by working hard.

So she doesn’t understand why her simple dream has to be shattered in just one blow. Last month, she was fired because she rejected an indecent proposal from the principal of the school she’s working at. And she couldn’t find any available jobs at this time. And she’s running out of money.

But that was acceptable. What’s unfair is that her parents have to die early leaving her with many liabilities. One night, both her parents decided to visit their friend in the next town but they had a bus accident and unfortunately, they didn’t make it.

That time, Taeyeon thought that it was better to die too but of course, suicide's never her option.

But right now, she just doesn’t know what to do or where to go.

She’s got nothing but heartaches and frustrations.

And most especially, she’s got nothing but herself.

So what can an unfortunate woman do? Nothing but to cry.

*

Taeyeon was crying when her best friend approached her.

“Tae, I know it’s difficult. I won’t say I understand because you won’t believe me but I know that you’re hurt and I’m sorry that I can’t do anything.” Jessica, her best friend, sobbed with her while hugging her.

“I didn’t do anything wrong, I was a good person, but why are these things happening to me? I don’t understand why I have to endure all these, Sica. And right now, I don’t even know where to go.” She helplessly said.

“I’m sorry Tae, you know that if it’s possible, I would’ve asked you to come with us to the US but it’s difficult.” She said.

Jessica will be migrating to the US with her mom and dad because her sister has petitioned them thinking that they can have a better life there.

“I understand. Having you here right now is good enough for me. Thanks best friend.” Taeyeon said calming down and sensing that Jessica is feeling some guilt because she’ll be leaving her.

“We’ll always keep in touch, okay? I want to know what’s happening to you here. Don’t make me worry.” Jessica said.

Taeyeon nodded.

“Yeah, we’ll talk once I’m settled. I don’t have any plans yet but I know my mom and dad will guide me wherever I go.” She said with a cracked voice.

“Tae, you know that everything happens for a reason, right? Don’t think of these as misfortunes. Consider these as trials that once you overcome can make you strong. I know you can do it, you always find a way.” Jessica said.

“Yes, I hope I really can.” She said.

At this point of time, she’ll be alone with no one to lean on but herself. So weakness should not live within her. She needs to be strong to be able to live in this cruel life.

 

*

On the other side of the world, Kwon Jiyong is having all the riches one could ever wish for. Being the heir of the biggest record company in Korea, he has everything money could ever buy.

And can he be luckier for having the most gorgeous woman in Japan?

He and Kiko Mizuhara, a model, have been dating for four years. And this year, Jiyong is planning to propose to her because he thinks that no woman could ever fit the title “Mrs. Kwon Jiyong” than her.

Just now, Jiyong is talking to her over the phone.

“Babe, do you really need to go? I can’t follow this time because I’ll be busy.” He said sulking.

Kiko laughed.

“Don’t be such a baby, Ji. I’ll be gone for only a month.” She said.

“But I’ll miss you.” He said.

“Let me see, you’ll miss me or you and your bed will miss me?” She teased.

Jiyong laughed.

“Can I answer both?” He said.

“ert! Anyway, I need to go babe. Call me later. I love you.” She said.

“I love you more. Bye.” He said.

Then they ended the call.

“Damn photoshoot.” Jiyong said then he prepared himself to go to the company.

 

*

Two days after, Taeyeon’s parents’ funeral took place and that same day, Jessica had her flight so literally, she’s now alone.

And she’s currently fixing her things because in two days, she needs to evacuate this place she called home because new people will rent it. She couldn’t afford another month’s pay because if she’ll spend all her money left, she won’t be able to eat.

Suddenly, she wanted to cry but she held it in.

“Don’t cry, Taeyeon. You’re not a weakling.” She told herself.

With that, she continued fixing her things. Old and new. And while fixing, a little piece of paper suddenly caught her attention.

It was a piece of paper with a thumb mark and an address. She carefully examined it. And from her subconscious mind, little pieces of puzzle are slowly becoming whole.

“15 summers.” She muttered.

 

*

FLASHBACK…

12-year-old Kim Taeyeon was walking on the road carrying a plastic bag with some meat and vegetables on it. She just went to the market and is currently on her way home when she suddenly heard a young man’s voice shouting so she followed the noise.

Nearby, she saw a big vehicle and some men seemingly capturing that shouting someone.

Oh God, they are kidnapping him!

So with a main goal to save the young man, she got many stones, shouted and threw some big stones over the men.

“Aaaaaaahhhhhhh! Help! Kidnappers!” She shouted at the top of her lungs while still throwing some stones on the men.

She actually hit some of them, now wincing in pain, that they let go of the boy. While some of them approached her.

“You little !” The man said so she got another stone and threw it to him but she missed it. Instead, she was slapped on her both face but she didn’t care. She needs to save the young man.

 “Run!” She commanded the young man who was shocked.

But she saw that the young man isn’t running.

“Run! Faster!” She shouted.

But instead of running, the young man got a big stone and threw it to the man holding the young lady, pulled her and they both ran for their lives.

Maybe God was with them because the men weren’t able to follow since a police car accidentally passed the road.

 

*

Little Taeyeon and Little Jiyong were still running and when they thought that nobody’s following them, they stopped.

They were both panting.

“Are you okay? Who are they?” Taeyeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter