Chapter LVII

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Narrator

 

 

“B-but—“

Mrs. Park pulled her daughter into an embrace. Both women fought the tears from falling, leaning on each other for strength.

Jungkook closed his eyes briefly before watching his hyungs. All of them had mostly concern on their faces. Mr. Park exhaled deeply and held Namjoon’s hand, squeezing it gently before exiting the room.

Mrs. Park soon followed, leaving Sera beside Jungkook.

“We need to find who did this.” Jungkook muttered, his sorrow turning into irritation. He looked at his hyungs who were all huddled around Namjoon’s bed. He turned to Sera who was staring at her cousin’s sleeping figure.

“I can’t believe he’s in a coma, Jeon. I…”

“I’ll see you later, okay?” Jungkook kissed her forehead before striding out of the room in a hurry.

 

 

Sehun stepped out of the Samsung building, clad in a black suit. He loosened his tie and slid inside his car.

“So, have you found something?” He asked as the call got connected.

“We’re still looking into it, young master. But so far…”

“What?” He snapped, his hands tight on the steering wheel.

“She’s clean. No records of any illegal dealings whatsoever.”

“Bull.” Sehun muttered, disconnecting the call. He looked at the road ahead as his jaw clenched. “Then I have to find it myself.”

He arrived at the office where he and Namjoon spent countless nights just to trace all those hackers. He sighed upon seeing the mess of papers everywhere before he fell on the couch, closing his eyes.

He then jerked up, his brows furrowed. All the information seemed to overflow in his head.

He already knew about how Sekyung released all those pictures of Sera. He knew about Sekyung’s father. But something felt wrong.

If her motive was revenge, why Namjoon all of a sudden? How did she find out that Namjoon knew? Surely she would’ve been more careful of her tracks.

It was odd. If someone wanted to take revenge, why be so obvious about it? Like she wanted to get caught.

Sehun closed his eyes once more. One more question was bothering him. That night at the gala, he walked in on Kai confessing his feeling all over again. But he knew his friend too well.

Why is Kai acting up all of a sudden?

 

 

“Hey…”

Sera looked up as the door to Namjoon’s hospital room opened. Kai walked inside with a basket of fruits. He placed them on the table and smiled at her.

She smiled back, motioning for him to sit on the chair, and he did.

“I heard he’s… in a coma?” 

“Yeah.” She sighed, looking at her cousin. She had been doing that for the past few hours, wondering if he would wake up any minute.

“I’m really sorry, Sera. I… I don’t know what got over me.” He mumbled, and she managed a small smile. “Let’s just forget about it, okay?”

“Really, I was just trying to—“

“Jongin.” She snapped, looking at him. “Please.”

He nodded in understanding and looked away. He felt like a selfish bastard, but he just had to.

“I’m sorry.” He muttered, standing up. “I shouldn’t—“

He stopped when his phone buzzed. He looked at it for a while. He cleared his throat and looked at Sera once more. “I hope we can talk sometime, Sera.”

She nodded, too tired to respond. Jongin exited the room and strode through the walls, his hand tightly gripping his phone. He stopped by the trashcan and threw it there, annoyance painted on his face.

Sera was watching him leave, her head tilted.

“What is wrong with him?”

 

 

Jungkook walked inside his father’s office. He respectfully bowed at the elder, sitting at the chair across his table.

“You look troubled. Is there anything wrong?” Mr. Jeon spoke after sipping from his coffee cup. Jungkook clasped his hands together. “I heard you helped retrieve the cctv information?”

“Yes. I got it this morning from the station. I just sent it to the Parks.”

“D-Do you have a copy, Abbeoji? I’d like to take a look at it myself.” He managed to say, clearing his throat. Mr. Jeon smiled and fished something out of his drawer. “I’m glad that you want to help, son. But please, be careful.”

“Don’t worry, Abbeoji.” He smiled, taking the flash drive from his father’s hand. “Then,” he stood up, bowing a little. “I’ll see you at home.”

“Tell me what you see in the footage, okay? No one else has seen it except the Parks.” Mr. Jeon hollered as his son got out of the room.

 

 

Haena smiled at the cameras. Jughyun held her waist, escorting her to the car.

“Is this really okay?” She mumbled as soon as both of them were inside. Junghyun started the car and looked at her. “Why?”

“It’s just that…” She looked at her lap, fiddling with her dress. “There’s too much happening. And here we are, acting all happy.”

Junghyun sighed and held her hand. “I know it doesn’t seem right, honey. But we have to do this. We can’t appear weak.”

She looked up and smiled at him weakly. Junghyun squeezed her hand and pulled her closer. “What is it, Haena?”

“Huh?” She asked, avoiding his gaze. Junghyun shook his head and gently lifted her chin. “We’re getting married. We promised to have no secrets between us.”

She bit her lip and hesitated for a while. “I…”

“You can tell me anything.”

She finally met his eyes. “I-It’s about Sekyung. And her father.”

 

 

“Kookie!” Sekyung gasped as Jungkook peeked his head inside her office. He smiled a light-natured smile as he hopped inside the office.

“I decided to drop by, since I’m already at the building.” He smiled and handed her a paper bag of food. Sekyung smiled as she fixed the papers on her desk. “Thanks. How thoughtful of our little boy.”

“Noona!” He protested, plopping on the couch. “How many times do I have to tell you? I’m a grown man!”

She chuckled, looking at the view of the city. “So how’s… Namjoon?”

“He’s in a coma. I really hope he wakes up soon.” He sighed.

Her eyes widened. “A… coma?”

“Yeah.” He shook his head. “I’m going to find out who did this to him, Noona. I’m going to make sure that they get behind bars.”

She bit her lip, still looking at the view. “Y-Yeah. That’s what should happen.”

“Is everything okay, Noona?” He mused, standing up and walking towards her direction. Sekyung cleared and took a ste back. “I’m just… stressed, that’s all.”

“All these sabotage is taking a toll on everybody.” Jungkook seethed as he looked at the city view. He crossed his arms. “Leaking Sera’ private life, sabotaging her projects, targeting the Parks business, bombing a warehouse, and now Namjoon hyung. This is all too terrible.”

“It is.” She whispered.

“I have to go, Noona.” He smiled. “I still have to examine the cctv footage. Maybe I could get something out of it.”

“Right.” She nodded and opened the door for him. “I hope you find out the owner of that black car.”

 

 

Jungkook sat on his car, holding the flash drive between his fingers. His brows were knitted together, deep in thought.

“Tell me what you see in the footage, okay? No one else has seen it except the Parks.”

He tilted his head in confusion as he looked back at the Jeon building, particularly at Sekyung’s office. He could see her standing by the glass walls, looking at the city view.

How did she know it was a black car?

 

 

________________________________________________________