Chapter XXX

His Uncanny Wife

Narrator

 

 

Bright Flashes ensued, along with the apparent sound of a camera shutter. Sera quickly pulled away, her reflex to turn away. Jungkook quickly removed his coat and shielded her, one hand politely hovering around her waist. He guided her steps towards the hall wordlessly.

She leaned on the wall as soon as they stepped inside and briefly closed her eyes.

“Sera?” Jungkook bit his lip, worried. She finally looked at him but quickly looked away. “I… the media… pictures…” She stopped to breathe in and out. She instinctively grabbed his arm and tugged on it. “Jeon, what are we going to do?”

He hesitated on putting his hand on her shoulder for a moment.

“Trust me, it’s okay.”

She shook her head. “No. I mean, we—“

“Sera.” He squeezed her shoulder lightly. “It’s okay.” He repeated.

 

 

Sera’s POV

 

I looked at him again, now my eyes lingering longer on his eyes before it drifted lower to his lips. What the hell is happening? I should get myself together.

“Jeon. Can’t you see? They took pictures of us.” I managed to say, now without stuttering. I expected him to show any hint of worry, but he was still looking at me, unfazed.

How could he be so calm about this? How could—

For the third ing time, I dared to meet his gaze, and then it came to me.

“You… knew?”

He maintained that stare for more moments as if he never heard me. I was about to repeat what I said when he exhaled loudly and nodded. Now he was the one avoiding my gaze, biting his lip out of habit.

I now officially hate that habit of his.

“I’m sorry. I was going to tell you…” He muttered lowly, tracing circles with his foot like a little boy. He looked so dejected all of a sudden.

I don’t know what to feel. If he’s apologizing, then he must’ve thought he did something wrong. But did he?

With those pictures, all rumors will surely disappear.

I knew he did the right thing. He did exactly what he needed to do.

“Why are you saying sorry?” I chuckled, although it came out to be a little forced. “You cunning .”

“I—“

“Although you could have given me a little heads-up.”

“Sera...”

I smiled, socking his shoulder playfully. “Jeon, you did what you had to do. You had a plan. Thanks.”

“But—“

“Don’t worry. It’s all for our image, right?”

I don’t know why but it made me feel uncomfortable saying that.

 

 

Narrator

 

Jungkook bit his lip harder and nodded. “Yeah…”

“Come on now. I really want to go home.” She grabbed his arm and dragged him back to the party. He let her lead the way, looking at the back of her head as they walked.

The ride home was silent, neither of them saying anything. Jungkook was looking out the passing view, and she was doing the same. They arrived shortly at Namjoon’s unit, still not talking.

Before going inside, Sera broke the silence. “Good night.”

“Good night.” He chuckled, ruffling her hair. Sera scrunched her nose and swatted his hand. “You messed it all up!”

“You’re going to bed, idiot. You don’t need perfect hair for that.”

“Such an .” She mumbled, although she was already chuckling. Jungkook almost exhaled at ease now that the tension was gone. “Go inside already. We have work tomorrow.”

“Okay, but before that,” She paused, looking at his face. The same feeling he was complaining about intensified. It gave him a slight difficulty in breathing.

She smiled and poked his nose. “Nothing. Night .” She shrugged and turned away, already pressing the code. Jungkook wanted to walk away but instead, he held her arm. She turned back at him curiously. “What?”

“I… I just don’t want you to feel uncomfortable. With what happened earlier—“

“Jeon.” She shushed him by tapping his cheek twice. “All for business, right?”

He stopped for a moment before nodding. “Go inside. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

She stuck her tongue out playfully before turning away. He heard the door shut as he walked away.

He wondered then.

Would it be so wrong if he told her that it wasn’t all just for business?

 

 

Namjoon handed Sera her requested cup of iced coffee. She grinned and happily drank it, her legs dangling as she sat on the swivel chair.

“Busy day?” He asked, sitting on the couch. She shrugged and turned to look at the view. She kicked off her heels and took in Seoul’s skyscrapers. “Nope, just some documents that need signing. I’m gonna miss this office. Why does school have to ruin it all for me?”

He chuckled. “Because you’re young and you need education.”

“Wow, says the mature one.” She scoffed and turned to face him. He rolled his eyes and tapped the space beside him. “Come here, brat.”

She made a face but obliged. He took a small box from his coat and handed it to her. She curiously looked at him but he urged her to open it.

She gingerly too away the thin paper upon opening the box. Beneath it was a small silver Pandora charm. Her brows furrowed. Her cousin never fancied giving her feminine things, let alone jewelry.

Nevertheless, she took the charm and clasped it on her bracelet. It added to the collection she already wore. He handed her an envelope and she took it, hating all the surprises she was getting.

She tore it apart, making him roll his eyes.

Hey pig. I’m home. I’ll you when I see you.

P.S.  There’s more at your home. I’m sure your Dad will be more than pleased to take you in after all those pictures spreading around this morning. Love you.

Only one person could tell her she was fat and add a ‘love you’ after.

“Oh ing Sehun is home?” She snickered. Namjoon shrugged. “Seems like it. His driver just dropped that on my office.”

“What’s with him and all this mystery?” She scrunched her nose, but immediately realized something. “It’s out?!”

“What’s out?” He asked, but she was already busy fumbling for her laptop. She opened the news portal and exhaled. “That was fast.”

He snatched the laptop form her and frowned. “What are you—“

He faced her, eyes wide. “What the see

is this?”

“Pictures?” She bit her lip, sliding away from him. Namjoon looked at the pictures again and shook his head. “I mean… why?”

“It’s to kill all those rumors with Kai, Oppa. Calm down.” She looked away.

“Just that?” He pressed, and she faced him with exasperation. “Yeah, what else could be there?”

He shrugged and stood up, a goofy smile on his face. He pranced to the door and chuckled to himself.

“I don’t know, Sera. What else is there?

She looked at him, almost offended, and he just left, whistling to himself. She glanced at the pictures and unconsciously touched her lips.

you Kim Namjoon.

 

 

Jungkook tapped his foot against the floor repeatedly. He bit his lip hard, wincing when it hurt a little. He finally jumped to the couch and closed his eyes, hoping it would bring him back to his senses.

He was not stupid. Of course he knew what was going on.

But was it really just like that? Could it really happen without him even intending to?

He stopped questioning why she wouldn’t get out of his head. He was way beyond that point now. Another question was bothering him now.

Is this right?

Of all the things that could happen, making his pretend role a reality was not one that he expected.

“Ya, what’s up with you?”

He opened his eyes and saw Sekyung sitting beside him, giving him an incredulous look. He exhaled and shrugged. “I don’t know, noona.”

“Are you on drugs?”

“What the hell?” He replied instantly, making her chuckle. He poked his arm playfully and soon after he was chuckling with her.

“There, that wasn’t so hard. Now don’t go sulking anywhere, Kookie. You’ll get ugly.” She lightly chided and leaned her back on the couch. He nodded and did the same, both of them staring at nothing in particular. “So, what’s going on with you? You’ve been uneasy since breakfast.”

“I’m… I’m just confused.” He blurted out. She glanced at him furtively and raised a brow. “Of what?”

“Of everything. There are… things that I just found out. I’m just, I don’t know. I want some… something but it doesn’t seem right.”

“But you do want it, right?” She shrugged. He hummed a yes and she chuckled. “Then have it. Simple as that.”

“But I can’t, you know. It’s been decided from the beginning that I can’t.”

Sekyung stopped and narrowed her stare at him. “Kook, is this…”

“I want this new car but Dad says I can’t have it unless I get an A in Trigonometry which because I hate that subject.” He replied in an instant, not even pausing to breathe. She nodded doubtfully and he grinned. “Anyway, how about you, noona?”

“Me? I’m good as ever.”

“Aren’t you excited that Haena Noona is going to work with you?” He smiled. Sekyung’s brows furrowed. “Work with me?”

“Yeah. I heard Mom and Dad talking. They’re giving a substantial amount of shares to Noona as a wedding gift. I think enough to handle the office in China. You didn’t know?”

“I… Oh, that. Of course. I’m ecstatic.” She forced a small smile.

“You’ll have all the time to bond now. Exciting. I can’t imagine being away from my friends for a long time, but you guys, just wow. Friendship goals.” He kept blabbering, trying to get his mind away from one girl.

Sekyung on the other hand, kept a straight face and just nodded.

 

 

____________________________________________________________

 

I'M BACK

lol sorry i'm finally on break so yeah sorry for the long wait

sorry sorry sorry

and thank you for staying with me

u da best