Chapter XVI

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

It was a white building that was located on one of the streets of Apgujeong. Sera looked at the building unsurely and heaved a deep sigh. Jungkook followed her out of the car and looked at the building too.

“This is the place?” He asked, and she nodded. “I think so.” She started crossing the street but Jungkook grabbed her wrist to pull her back. She gave him a questioning look and he just pointed to the sign above.

“Wait, dimwit. Unless you want to get trampled on by the cars.”

The lights went green and they started walking.

“Right, how was your group work yesterday?”

He smiled crookedly. “Don’t worry, I didn’t cheat on you.”

“I wasn’t worried about that.” She rolled her eyes. “I know you’re too much of a good boy to do that.”

He stopped walking and frowned. “Hey, I’m not!”

She looked back at him and tugged on the sleeve of his coat. “Ya, do you want to die? Time for crossing is almost up.”

He lazily trudged beside her as they entered the building and entered the elevator. She pressed the 7th floor and leaned at one side. She noticed him still frowning over nothing.

“Really, among the two of us, who’s the goody two shoes? Do you think it’s me?”

He looked up and met her teasing gaze. “Am I really the goody two shoes type of guy?”

She chuckled at his question and grabbed his elbow. “Don’t worry Jeon, even if girls usually fall for the bad boy types, I’m sure there will be some who’ll find you cute.”

He just frowned even more.

“Cupcake!” Kai beamed upon seeing her enter the room. He left the tripod he was setting up and jogged to her place.

He smiled at Jungkook. “Hey Jeon.”

“It’s… Jungkook.” He muttered.

“Sera calls you Jeon, right?”

“Yeah. Only she does that.” He shrugged and Kai nodded, unsure of what to say next, so he turned to Sera. “Did you just finish school?”

“Yup.” She popped the p. “Will this take long?”

He ruffled her hair and pulled her for a hug. “You’re so lazy, cupcake. Don’t worry, it’ll get over soon. You’re used to this.”

Jungkook walked to the side and sat on a chair. He took out a chocolate bar and began nibbling on it. After a few seconds of talking, Sera walked to his side and snatched the chocolate bar.

“Why did he say that you’re used to this stuff?” He asked. Sera shrugged and swallowed the bar whole. He just shook his head; too bad he only brought one.

“I used to be a freelance model in the US. You know, summer jobs and such.”

He looked at her for a while. “Why don’t I know that?”

“I don’t know.” She said, irritated. “You didn’t ask.”

“Sera! We’ll start in ten!”

She tapped Jungkook’s cheek and ran to the dressing area where some girls were already waiting for her. He watched her leave and sat back, thinking of something to do. Sera stepped out in distressed jeans and a plain shirt. She walked to the photoshoot area and Kai began positioning himself.

Clicks and shutters were all over the room in an instant. Kai was moving around, trying every angle and every side. Sera was comfortably changing her poses, utilizing everything around her, moving with the sounds of the lights flashing and Kai’s instructions.

Jungkook tilted his head to get a better view. “Just what can this girl not do…” He mumbled. He stood up from his seat and shook his head. Maybe he needed some fresh air, he thought.

 

 

“Where’s Jeon?” Sera looked around, even standing on her toes to look for the black messy hair she knew too well. Nothing.

Kai appeared beside her and handed her a water bottle. She drank from it and gave it back to him, muttering a thanks. He smiled at her and poked her cheek. “You did great. We just have to change setting and you’ll be done. Thanks again, cupcake.”

“Sure no problem.” She muttered absentmindedly.

“What’s wrong—“

“Jeon!” She called out as Jungkook exited the elevator with a box of donuts. She half-ran to him and slung an arm around his neck. “Where have you been?”

“Bought some food for everyone.” He said and started distributing the boxes to the people. Kai smiled gratefully. “Thanks, you really didn’t have to.”

“I was walking by the street and I saw this shop.” He replied. Sera took the box and went to a table.

“She’s such a pig.” Kai snickered, and Jungkook couldn’t agree more. “Tell me more about it.” He chuckled, and they shared a laugh.

She opened the box while her eyes were on the two boys, calling them out to eat. She absently took a donut and took a bite.

“Thanks Kookie.” She smiled.

Kai’s eyes widened as he fumbled for a tissue. “Sera, spit it out!”

“What?” She muttered, annoyed.

Kai grabbed the pastry from her hand and held the tissue close to . Even Jungkook was confused. “Why... should she spit it out?”

“Don’t swallow. Spit it now.”

Sera frowned at Kai for a moment, then her eyes went wide. She took the tissue and began coughing out the food. Jungkook was frantic in a second. He held her arm and tapped her back. “What is happening? Is it contaminated?”

“Peanuts.” Kai said, placing the docut back in the box. He handed her a bottle of water and she began drinking it hastily. “Slow down, you’ll choke.” He lightly chided, and she followed, emptying the bottle at once.

Jungkook bit his lip as he watched Sera cough some more. Once she was finished, Kai sat her down on one of the chairs and held both her cheeks on his palms. “Wait here. I’ll ask them to extend the break. Are you sure you haven’t eaten any of it?”

She nodded and he left.

Jungkook sat beside her and hesitantly started. “Sera.”

“I’m hungry, Jeon.” She sulked on her seat. “I know. I’m sorry, I should’ve—“

“Pabo. You didn’t know.” She held her palm up to stop him from talking. “Can we eat some ramen after this?”

He watched her for a moment and smiled. “Arraso.”

 

 

The shoot was almost finished. Jungkook was listening to music when she plugged off one of his earphones and sat beside him.

“You done?”

“Yup.” She replied and got the water bottle he handed. “You did great, you know, for a fatass like you.”

He winced when she slapped his knee. “I was just stating facts!”

“Moron.” She muttered and looked away. She spotted Kai walking towards her direction. He gave her a thumbs up and a wink.

Well, her heart did the skip a beat thing again. Jungkook watched her bite her lip shyly and he slapped her arm. “Ya!”

“You’re drooling.” He rolled his eyes.

“Cupcake, great job!” Kai said. He was about to say something else when his phone rang. He picked it up and grinned. “Monique, baby!” He laughed.

Sera cringed a little and looked away.

“Yes, babe. No! No! It’s not like that. You know you’re my one and only, right? Come on, sweetums. I miss you.”

Jungkook sighed as he watched her brows furrow lightly. He turned his music to a high volume and plugged both earphones on her ears.

She was startled, but he just gave her that look. She smiled understandingly and closed her eyes.

 

 

Namjoon entered the conference room, a tired smile on his face as he greeted the employees. He sat himself don on the revolving chair and closed his eyes.

“Sekyung-ah, the Parks are really great people. This merger is to help both companies.” He heard Mr. Jeon say outside the room. A girl’s voice followed. “Yes, samchon. I’ve read the files. I just don’t understand why you had to tie our Kookie too.”

“Jungkook has always been willing to help.” Mr. Jeon reasoned. “And besides,” He chuckled. “He and the Parks’s daughter are good friends.”

The door opened and Namjood stood up. He shook Mr. Jeon’s hand. “How have you been, Mr. Jeon?”

“I’m good, Najoon-ah.” He turned to his side where Sekyung was standing. “This is Sekyung. She’s like my own child too.” He smiled, and Namjoon extended his hand. Sekyung smiled formally as she held his hand.

“Hi, I’m Sekyung. I’ll be in charge of this merger in behalf of the Jeons.”

Namjoon met her gaze. “Nice to meet you. I’m Namjoon. We’ll be working together.”

“I’m looking forward to that.”

 

Sera stretched her arms and yawned. She turned off the television and switched her stereo on, her sleep playlist on loop. She snuggled comfortably on her bed and closed her eyes.

The door burst open and she grunted. “Jang please, I’m trying to get some sleep.”

“It’s me.” Jungkook said as he closed the door. He plopped on the bed beside her, but she didn’t even turn to look. “What do you want? It’s 10pm let me sleep!”

“I want to talk.” He urged. She let out a frustrated sigh and sat up to look at him. His hair was slightly wet, and he was wearing his pajamas already. Her brow rose in confusion. “Why are you dressed like you’re going to sleep here?”

“I…” He sighed, looking away. “I went here on impulse.”

“Why?” She couldn’t help but chuckle in amusement. Jungkook met her eyes, and her expression changed. The boy look troubled.

She moved to the side of the bed to give him some space, and he made himself comfortable, pulling the blanket for the both of them. “So, will you talk?”

She heard him sigh, but no words escaped his lips. “Fine, I’ll talk.” She started. “Earlier, when Kai had that phone call… thanks.” He barely heard the last word.

It was Sera, of course it’d hurt her pride to say thank you.

He felt a smile play on his lips. “I’m a good fiancé, aren’t I?” He lightly teased, and she shoved a pillow in front of his face. “Shut it.”

He chuckled and squirmed on his place. “About earlier too, about the.. peanuts thing.”

“I told you not to talk about it anymore, douche. You didn’t know. Although you did almost kill me. No big deal.”

“Sera.” He said warningly. She giggled and poked his cheek. “It’s really okay, Jeon.”

He paused for a while, somewhat baffled. It was rare to hear that laugh from her. It was always the teasing or dry chuckle that he got so used to.

“Idiot, are you sleeping?” She kicked his leg. He woke up from his daze and shook his head.

The brat was back just like that. “Nope.”

“Good. Now leave.”

“I’m not done.” He flicked her forehead. “Tell me everything about your US days, your allergies, the food that you hate, your phobias… every single damn thing.”

“What? Why? God Jeon, you sound like a nagging dad.”

“It’s embarrassing that I don’t know. I almost killed you earlier. What kind of fiancé am I to the public?”

She paused, waiting for him to say that he was joking. When he didn’t say a word, she knew he was serious. “Fine. It’s going to be a long night.”

“Shoot away, fatass.”

 

 

______________________________________________________________