Chapter XLIV

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

Sera smiled at Kai. He was hesitant if he should be there, but what happened between them was nothing compared to what was happening to her right now. She needed all the support she could get.

“I missed you.” He managed to say. Sera’s smile faltered a little bit, and he shook his head. “Sera, I’m not here to force you into anything. I’m here as your friend.”

He felt her posture relax as he said those words. “Thanks, Jonginnie.”

“Anytime, cupcake.” He muttered as she playfully socked his shoulder. “So you were dragged into all these drama, huh?”

“I was. And I’m willing to do anything I can to help. I already called for the company’s best IT specialists to help with the search.”

A smile lingered on her lips. “You don’t know how much that means to me.”

They both stayed silent for a few moments, both thinking of what to say. Sera knew he was still her best friend, but something was odd. Like a barrier between the two of them that she really wanted to break. She just wanted the old times back, but one could only hope for the best.

Jongin, on the other hand, knew exactly what was happening. When he was driving himself on the way to the Park estate, he promised himself not to mention anything about his feelings to Sera. It would just bother her and add to the things she was worrying about.

Still, that was what was preventing them to be normal again with each other. As long as that remained unresolved, nothing will ever be the same.

“I think we really need to talk…” Jongin started. He noticed that she was fidgeting with the hem of her shirt, a habit she usually did when she was anxious. He hated that she wasn’t comfortable around him.

Sera wanted to avoid the topic, but she realized it was better to tell him straight-up. She didn’t want to hurt him just like she did to Jungkook. She didn’t want to make any promises, or at least create misunderstanding.

“Yes, I think we do.” She exhaled. “I’m… I’m sorry for not reacting well to you, and for avoiding you. I didn’t know what to do, Jongin. I was confused and frustrated with myself.”

Kai noticed that her hands started tapping the couch uncontrollably.

“Sera, you know I’d understand, right?”

“What?”

“I’m sorry I lashed out on you, and I’m sorry I got Jungkook in the middle of this. I just… I just want you to know that I know. I tried to deny it but anyone could see. I know, and I’m okay with it. It hurt admitting it to myself at first, but when I saw how he looked out for you, I knew everything is right where it needs to be. I want you to be happy.”

She bit her lip, trying to suppress whatever emotion she was feeling. She was feeling sad that they were having a conversation such as this, but mostly overwhelmed at how understanding Kai was.

After all, that was what got her to fall for him before.

“Jonginnie… I’m sorry.” That was all she could muster before the tears started to fall. He gently wrapped his arms around her, caressing her back as she sobbed. “I understand, cupcake. He’s a great man, and I can see how much he cares for you. Just promise me that you’ll treasure everything you have with him, okay? Don’t make the same mistake that I did.”

“It’s too late.” Her fists curled as she cried. “I already ed everything up. I… I—“

“It’s not too late, don’t say that.” He shushed, tracing circles at her back.

 

 

Jungkook rushed out of his car and ran to the door of the Parks’ house. Jang was astonished when his favorite Young Master barged in, panting and looking around.

“Young Master Jeon!” He gasped, mostly surprised and happy. “I’m sur—“

“Where is she?” Jungkook cut him off, his gaze sharp and focused. Jang hesitated and walked towards him calmly. “You can wait in the lounge room. Young Master Park and—“

“I need to see her, Jang. Please.

Jang stopped short and blinked. “She has a guest over at her room—“

It was too late for Jang to even finish his sentence. Jungkook already dashed towards the hallway to her room.

When he caught sight of her door, he slowed down. He caught up with his breathing, trying to remove any of the tension he was feeling. He wanted to barge inside, pull her close to him and tell her that he wasn’t going anywhere. He wanted to tell her that she meant so much to him.

That he loved her.

He closed his eyes as it dawned on him. He loved her.

“I love Park Sera.” He muttered, the words new to his ears but far from unpleasant. It actually made the pounding on his chest intensify. The feeling was entirely new to him… but he liked it.

A smile tugged on his lips as he took a step closer.

He placed his hands on the knob, about to push it open, when he heard some voices inside.

“It’s not too late, don’t say that.” He knew too well who owned that voice.

He heard some sniffling. “I missed you, Jonginnie.” He could feel his jaw clench and his fist ball. He should just wait till they finish talking. He shouldn’t be listening to this.

“I missed you too. I’m glad we got this all settled already.” He didn’t even know why he was still standing there.

“I know.” She chuckled. She loved her chuckle. There was something annoying yet adorable about it. He would pester her a lot and joke around after just to hear that chuckle.

“Promise me you’ll do what I said, okay?”

“I will.”

“And Sera,”

“You’ll always be my princess, okay?”

“Forever and always, Jonginnie. Forever and always.”

Jungkook turned around and closed his eyes. He was so determined a while ago. He told himself that whatever she did or said, he would not let go. He would stay beside her no matter what.

But he didn’t think of one thing. He could stay by her side for all he wanted, but what about who she wanted? Was it him? He didn’t want to complicate it for her. There was a reason why she reminded him that he had a choice. Sure, it could’ve been to protect him. But it also could’ve been because of her pursuing what she really wanted in the first place. Kai.

There isn’t something to hold on to. It’s done— I lost.

“Young Master.” Jang appeared in fron of him, looking worried. “Is everything alright?”

He looked up and managed a nod. “It is, Jang. She’s right where she’s supposed to be.” He walked away, every step feeling like eternity to him.

“D-do you want to leave a message? I will tell her you dropped by.”

“No need.” He turned around and gave him a small smile. “Take care of her for me, will you?”

Jang tapped his foot uncomfortable. “Will you be here again tomorrow, Young Master?”

Jungkook didn’t bother replying, instead he just continued walking away, eager to get on his car and drive away from the estate. Somehow, he felt suffocated and weak.

 

 

Sera watched Kai’s car leave. She felt lighter. Now she only needed to fix one more thing— one more thing to make everything right.

She was tired of being a fool. Back then she mostly kept everything to herself, building walls around her to avoid the pain of people leaving.

When he came to her life, everything changed. Those walls slowly crumbled down, and to her surprise, she was actually okay with it. As long as it was him.

Someone finally understood her for who she was, even more than she understood herself.

She made the mistake of letting him go. For once in her life, she admitted to herself that it was genuine, it was real. That it was worth it stepping out of her comfort zone and sharing her life with someone.

She held the phone in her hand, looking at his contact name. A warm feeling spread through her chest when she finally realized what it was. It wasn’t just because he understood her, it was because she felt something more.

“I… love him.” She whispered, her voice faltering. She looked at the phone once again and was about to dial when the door to her room opened.

“Young Miss…” Jang stepped inside her room. She noticed his unease and urged him to just tell her what was bothering him. “Young Master Jeon dropped by.”

“Really?” She didn’t bother hiding her glee. “Where is he?”

“He left abruptly. He was in a rush, running to your room to see you. I tried to tell him you had someone over, but he wouldn’t listen. I thought he successfully talked with you, but when I checked again he was leaving…”

Her brows furrowed. “What do you mean he was leaving? He never got into my room…”

“Yes, he never did.”

Her eyes widened when she finally realized. “Oh my god, Jang. He must’ve misunderstood!”

 

 

Sera’s grip on the steering wheel tightened. Her knuckles turned white as she took a sharp turn on the intersection. She tried dialing his number several times already, but his phone seemed to be turned off.

She needed to tell him everything. She needed him.

“Please be home, please be home.” She mumbled, biting her lip. Her vision was getting really cloudy from the tears threatening to fall from her eyes. She hurriedly wiped them away and exhaled heavily. She made the wrong choice and she had to make it right.

She had to fight, for the first time in her life, for the person she treasured the most.

 

 

Namjoon’s brows furrowed as she took Sera’s call.

“I cant’t find fim! I already went to his house, to the penthouse, and ahjumma’s pojangmacha, but he’s nowhere! Oppa—“

“Calm down. What are you talking about?” He shook his head, utterly confused.

“Jungkook. I can’t find Jungkook.” She panted. Namjoon got even more confused. “Why?”

“I need to tell him something, Oppa. Please, help me.”

Sera always had this firmness in her voice whenever she spoke, a tone that she used to mask whatever she was feeling. Namjoon knew it so well. Hearing her as of the moment, that tone was gone. He could only sense one thing— desperation.

“I’ll… I’ll call the boys, okay? Where are you right now?”

“It doesn’t matter. Please… Please call me if you find him.”

“Okay, just—“

The line went dead. He looked at the phone and thought for a while, before dialing the boys.

 

 

Ahjumma squeezed Sera’ shoulder lightly. She handed the younger one a glass of water, sitting across her from the table.

“I messed up, Ahjumma.” She muttered, her lips quivering. Tears were lining her cheek, but she didn’t care. She didn’t care if people saw her crying, she just needed to see him.

Ahjumma smiled apologetically. “When he was a little boy, he always deisappeared when he fought with his brother or father. Different hiding place around the house every single time, that’s why we never find him.”

Sera sighed and shook her head. “I really need to tell him so many things. I let go of every opportunity and wasted every moment. I’m so stupid!” She hissed to herself, ruffling her hair. The old woman looked at how distressed she was and felt a pang of pain for her.

She genuinely liked her for her little Jungkookie.

“Don’t worry. He always comes home. Just let him be. Give him time for himself. I promise you, he’ll be back.”

Sera wiped her tears and smiled. The only thing left for her to do was wait.

“Thank you, Ahjumma.”

“Sera?”

She turned around to see Jin standing there with a small smile. He greeted Ahjumma with a bow and held Sera’s arm. “I’m afraid it’s getting late… Let’s go home.”

“Did you find him?” She asked, her eyes expectant. Jin shook his head, and her shoulders fell.

Sera met Ahjumma’s eyes and she smiled. “I’ll get going now, Ahjumma. Im sorry for bothering you…”

“No problem, dear. When you find him, make things right, okay?”

“I will, I promise.”

 

 

Jin gave Sera’s keys to his secretary. She ushered him inside her car and slid down the driver’s seat after. Sera was just silent, leaning her head on the headrest. Jun started the engine, and sighed.

“Whatever fight you have… it’ll be resolved. Jungkook’s not the tyoe to hold grudges.”

Sera nodded. “I hope so, Oppa. I hope so.”

Jin knew she didn’t want to talk about it, so he just stepped on the gas and drove all the way to the Park estate.

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________