Chapter L

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Narrator

 

 

“Where are you taking me, Jeon?” Sera glanced at Jungkook who was driving. He flashed her a smiled and looked back at the road. “That sounded nice.”

“What?”

Jeon. I missed that.” He stated, his grip on the steering wheel suddenly tightening. He noticed her shift on her seat and instantly regretted what he said. Damn, I should’ve kept that inside my head.

She cleared and ignored the remark. “So, where are we going?”

“Uh, I was hoping we could go to Nami Island.”

She watched his brows furrow. It would be the greatest lie if she said she didn’t miss him. They only haven’t been talking for days but it felt like years.

A smile crept on her lips. “I’d love that.”

“You… do?” He muttered, a smile also tugging on his lips. She nodded and poked his cheek. “Yes, dimwit. You’ll be paying for everything since you dragged me out of work.”

“I always pay for everything, so I’m not even surprised.” He deadpanned.

She chuckled and looked out the window. I like this feeling, but what is happening? I thought he didn’t want anything to do with me.

That was when she realized she couldn’t go on this charade. She needed to know. She was tired of acts and whatnot; she only wanted to live in reality, even if it hurt.

“W-Why exactly are you being like this?”

Jungkook glanced at her, genuinely surprised. “Huh?”

“I mean, you ended everything and was so cold to me. What is happening?” She blurted out, biting her lip after. Jungkook continued driving, his jaw clenched.

She was getting frustrated. “Please, let’s talk this through.”

Jungkook looked at her for a moment before pulling over the side of the road. He exhaled and turned his body to face hers. “I… I have to tell you something.”

“So do I.” She mumbled.

“Ladies first?” He suggested, but she shook her head. “The lady demands that you go first.”

He closed his eyes for a brief moment. “I…”

I can’t do this.

“I hope you’re happy.” He muttered, looking down. He couldn’t meet her eyes. She tilted her head a little. “T-that’s it?”

“What more do you want me to tell you?” He whispered, getting frustrated at himself. But he couldn’t say it. What if I get ing rejected?

“You dragged me away, acted all good to me after all those cold Jungkook thing, and now you’re telling me to be happy? I… I don’t get it, Jeon. I really don’t.”

He exhaled. “I guess I feel… guilty for ending it. I feel guilty for… not being by your side. I didn’t even tell you beforehand. I was a jerk.”

Sera stiffened on her seat. Guilt. That was what he felt. ing guilt.

He met her eyes, and she smirked bitterly.

“Thanks, I’m your ing pity case. I appreciate it, Jeon. Thank you.” She said through gritted teeth before getting out of the car and slamming the door.

Jungkook raked his finger through his hair. I knew I’d mess this up.

“Sera, wait!” He jogged to her direction. It was evident that she had no plans of stopping for him, so he went to grab her wrist. “Sera, please.”

“Tell me,” she whispered, her face unreadable. Her fists were balled as she met his eyes again. “Did you really go to me because you were guilty? Why? Because my life got ed up after you left? Oh, wait, even before that. Am I such a -up to you?”

She swatted his grip on her wrist. “I told you before, Jeon Jungkook. I don’t need anyone pitying me.”

“I know.” He muttered. “I’m sorry.”

They went silent for a few seconds before he exhaled heavily.

“I didn’t go to you because I pity you. I… I don’t know why I said that. I’m scared… I can’t tell you the truth because you finally have the one thing you really want and I don’t want to destroy everything. But I’m stupid and—“

She released an agitated sigh. “What can’t you tell me? I don’t understand.”

“That…” He looked at her eyes. “Sera…”

“You know what? Let’s just leave everything the way it is. I’m grateful for you, but I can’t be someone’s pity case.”

He bit his lip. Why am I such a fool? I should just tell her!

Sera lightly hit his chest, the tears threatening to fall. “I thought of you as the person who really knows me, but I didn’t expect you—“

Jungkook pulled her close and planted his lips on hers.

 

 

Kai constantly tapped his foot. He was getting really devastated and worried with the texts he was receiving, so he thought he must seek help.

“So this person stopped, and just last night, messaged again?” Sehun clarified. Kai nodded his head and bit his fingers. “I don’t know how they knew, you know.”

“This person targeting Sera… he knows a lot. It’s alarming.” Namjoon mumbled.

Kai walked to the middle of the living room and brought out his phone. “Come and read this.”

The two huddled to read the message.

You have your opportunity now, Kim Jongin. Grab it. Make Sera yours now, or it’ll be too late. I can help you.

Sehun stepped away, his brows furrowed. “I… I think I’m getting something.”

“What?”

“This person… this person doesn’t want Sera with Jungkook.”

Kai’s jaw clenched. Sehun was right. Everything was falling into place. He looked at the text once more before typing. Namjoon watched him keenly. “What are you doing?”

He finished typing and hit reply. “Two can play this game.”

 

 

The workers unloaded the truck and carefully placed the boxes of raw materials on the warehouse floor. It was another busy day at work, the synchronized movements of the workers making it even more monotonous.

“I guess we’re done for today, after we arrange these on the storeroom.” The manager happily stated. The workers’ faces brightened as they nodded and eagerly got their own boxes to carry on the storeroom.

The manager heaved a saitisfied sigh and he checked off another task on his list. He signed the papers from the delivery man and playfully gave him a salute.

“You take care on your way back!” He chuckled.

The driver, who was wearing a black cap, nodded with a straight face. “Y-you too.”

The truck left and thw warehouse was busy with the last tasks for the day. The manager whistled to his office, happy that he got through another day at work. He was excited to get back to his family. He remembered that just this morning, his daughter asked if he could teach her how to ride the bicycle.

“Sir, we’re closing the gates now!”

“Okay!” He hollered back, looking at the warehouse being closed. He noticed something off as the gates were closing, so he jogged inside to check.

Little did he know that was the last thing he would see. A blast took over and darkness ensued.

 

 

A truck honked loudly and the two pulled away. Jungkook could feel every fiber of his body tingle with happiness as he searched for her eyes. She hesitantly looked up, and he smiled as he noticed the tinge of pink on her cheeks.

“You’re blushing…” He mumbled, and she looked down again. He lifted her chin up carefully, her cheek after. “Sera… I was trying to tell you…”

“I think we should go back to the office now.” She muttered and tried to turn away, but he held her on her place. “No. I won’t be a coward anymore. I love you and I’m not letting you go again.”

She stood frozen on her place as the words slowly processed on her messed up brain.

“I… I love you, Park Sera.” He repeated, now searching her eyes. When her eyes met his, she bit her lip and felt her heartbeat against her ribcage. It was such a strong overpowering feeling.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to say anything. I just—“

“I love you too.” She whispered, almost incoherently.

“W-what?” He stopped short. It felt like the world stopped with him.

“Oh, don’t make me repeat that.” She rolled her eyes. He let out his disbelief by exhaling, as the joy surged through his veins. He looked around, trying to hear the words again and again on his brain. He felt so happy, he could not explain it.

He was already jumping and cheering that she just wanted to bury herself on the ground. He was such a dork. A big dork.

“You really do?!” He said, regaining his composure. A big smile was on his face. She nodded and looked away. “Will you please calm down?”

“Wait,” He paused. “W-what about Kai? Weren't you—“

“You completely misunderstood, Jeon. We’re just friends. We talked it out already. He knew it was too late for me to reciprocate what he felt… because I already was, uhm, you know, I already fell for someone else.”

He happily pulled her to his embrace, and she slowly hugged him back, burying her face on his chest.

“I’m sorry for being a jerk, Sera. I was afraid that you didn’t feel the same way.”

“I’m sorry too… I was too busy with the company that I neglected to notice what I felt.”

He pulled away and watched her face. “Can I kiss you again?”

“Wha—“

He pulled her again and gently placed his lips on hers. She playfully hit his chest when he pulled away.

“Now you have to get used to that. You have no idea how much I wanted to do that.”

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________

 

 

YAAAASSS