Chapter LV

His Uncanny Wife

 

 

Narrator

 

 

Jungkook impatiently looked around the hall. More and more people started to come in, all smiles and grace. He really did not want to be that early to the gala, but he wouldn’t risk arriving later than Sera and Kai.

He knew it was being too possessive of him, but it wasn’t about Kai anymore. He just wanted Sera beside him at all time. I’m crazy.

The Park elders entered the room with his parents, followed by Haena and Junghyun. They smiled upon seeing him there. Junghyun was rolling his eyes.

“Why are you looking so down, baby boy?” He teased, to which Jungkook pretended to gag.

“Where’s Sera?” Haena asked, looking around. Jungkook heaved a sigh. “She’s going with her friends.”

“Oh, so that’s why you look sad, puppy.” Haena chuckled, to which Jungkook shook his head in annoyance. “Seriously, noona, you are starting to get hyung’s attitude.”

“Well she is my fiancé, after all.” Junghyun grinned and kissed the side of Haena’s head. She smiled too, holding his arm tenderly.

Jungkook looked away, listless. Where is she?

 

 

Camera lights flashed as the trio made their way to the gala’s entrance. Heads turned as Sera brought not one, but two of Korea’s most eligible bachelors with her to the gala. Sehun maintained a straight face as he scanned the area. Kai was smiling, assisting Sera as they ascended the stairs.

“I’m glad you said yes to going with me.” Kai murmured as they walked. Sera smiled at him. “Of course, I wouldn’t miss the red carpet with my two dorks.”

Kai chuckled and held her back. “Let’s go inside, I’m sure someone’s eager to see you.”

Sera just smiled knowingly.

 

 

“Jeon!” She grinned upon seeing him. He grinned too. He was thankful Sera didn’t choose any of the outfits Jin suggested. She looked gorgeous in her long beige dress. She didn’t bother putting her hair up, instead she let it fall on her bare shoulders.

He couldn’t help but be happy at the thought that this girl was his.

“Falling for me all over again?” She whispered teasingly and he made a face. “Your arrogance… wow. It surprises me every time.”

She just smiled at him innocently, to which he rolled his eyes. “You’re so spoiled.”

“It’s okay. I have you to spoil me.”

“We’re… still here.” Sehun cleared his throat.

“I know.” Sera smiled, while Jungkook rubbed his neck shyly.

Sehun rolled his eyes. “I never thought this day would come. But look at you…”

“Why?”

Sehun shrugged. “I’m too tired to talk. Let’s eat.”

Kai chuckled and shook his head. “I’m sorry Jungkook, you’re getting a first hand experience at Sera’s mood swings, Sehun’s laziness, and my tendency to intrude. We’re a weird bunch.”

Jungkook chuckled. “It’s amusing.”

Sehun looked at the two talking and impatiently motioned for them to the buffet table. Sera looked around, her brows furrowing.

 

 

Namjoon straightened his tie as he checked his reflection. He winced a little at the sight of the dark circles under his eyes.

“You have no right to accuse me, Haena. Yes, my father died instead of Sera’s father, but I am not a monster.”

He could still hear Sekyung’s words ringing in his ears. As soon as he got home, he started gathering all the data he could find about her father. And there it was— Shim Tae Kyung. He was one of Park Industries’ best directors, but a plane crash ended his life.

He sighed and checked the time. There were pressing matters he must attend to, but he could not let anyone know what he knew. It was too risky.

If this was all Sekyung… then I can’t let her know that I know. She’s done too much. At this point she’s capable of anything.

His phone buzzed on the coffee table and he immediately retrieved it.

“Where are you?” Sera hissed on the other line.

He rolled his eyes. “I’ll be there in a few.”

“Okay, you better be.”

He just hummed in response.

“Okay, bye.” Sera chirped but he stopped her. “Sera?”

“Yep?”

Namjoon looked at the files of Sekyung father on his desk and bit his lip. “N-nothing. I’ll see you, princess.”

 

 

Sehun was talking to a circle of businessmen. The Samsung heir barely attended events like these. He hated the fake smiles and arrogant demeanors. Still, he had to appear civil so he maintained a tight-lipped smile.

Sera was smiling as she watched her friend hide his distress. Jungkook was beside her, enjoying his plate of cake.

“Jeon?”

He looked up, and she burst into laughter. His forehead creased. “What?”

She reached to wipe some icing on his lip. “You look like a child.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes, grabbing her finger and the icing on it. Sera’s eyes widened, blood rushing to her cheeks.

He just grinned. “I don’t waste any icing, honey.”

She took her hand back and coughed, flustered. “You’re so childish.” She muttered, unable to meet his eyes. He just continued grinning, moving his chair closer to hers.

“I hate these places.” Jin pulled the chair beside Sera and sat there. He frowned as he scanned the hall.

Jungkook watched his hyung and snickered. “Hyung… I saw you go to the buffet table for like… five times already.”

“That buffet table is my only friend here.” He muttered.

“What about me, hyung?!” Taehyung grinned. “Hey Sera, looking reaaaaaally bomb with that dress.” He winked.

“Uhm… thanks?” She chuckled. Soon after, the other boys found their way to the table. It started to get chaotic when Jimin started arguing with Hoseok about the existence of UFOs.

“Where’s Joon?” Yoongi exhanged seats with Jin and nudged Sera’s side. She pouted and looked around. “He told me he’d be here…”

Yoongi nodded in understanding. “How about you?”

“What?” She raised an eyebrow.

He rolled his eyes. “You, silly. Everything’s okay?”

“Yeah. What makes you think it’s not?”

Yoongi looked past her and shrugged. “It’s just that your friend has been staring at you for like… minutes already.”

Sera looked behind and saw Kai leaning on the wall, a champagne flute in hand. His brows were furrowed and he seemed a bit restless. He met her gaze and was flustered for a bit.

“I… I think I have to go talk to him.” She mumbled and looked at Jungkook. “I’ll just check on Kai, okay?”

He smiled and nodded, squeezing her hand gently before letting go.

 

 

Kai looked at his phone and immediately locked it when he saw Sera approaching. She gave him a questioning look, and he managed to chuckle in return.

“What’s wrong, Jonginnie?”

Kai looked around and shrugged. “Nothing’s wrong. I’m just bored as hell here.”

When she didn’t stop staring at him questioningly, he heaved a deep sigh. “Fine, fine! I guess nothing escapes Park Sera.”

“Shoot.”

“I… Can you come out with me for a bit? Get some fresh air?” He touched the nape of his neck.

Sera knew her friends well. She touched his arm gently and nodded. “Let’s go.”

 

 

Only the busy but almost inaudible city noise could be heard from the building’s balcony. The view was that of a vast garden with blinking lights peppered on the trees like fireflies.

Sera grinned and breathed the air, feeling the wind hit her face pleasantly.

“As expected, you know the ins and outs of these events. Remember when we escaped the university formal?” She turned to look at Kai, the grin never leaving her face.

Her forehead creased when she noticed he wasn’t paying attention. He was looking around, tapping his foot.

“Jongin.”

His head turned to her, eyes blinking innocently. “Eh?”

“What in the world is bothering you?” She hissed, one arm on her hip. “Why do you seem restless?”

“I’m not.” He replied, steadying himself as he held on the railings.

He cleared his throat and took a step towards her. “I have to tell you something.”

“What is this about?”

Kai once again looked around before finally meeting her eyes. “I…”

“Jongin you’re really weird righ—“

“I still love you.” He blurted out.

Sera just looked at him, baffled. “I… Jongin…”

“You don’t have to say anything. I know you’re with Jungkook and we already talked about this. I just… I regret letting you go.”

Sera closed her eyes briefly, composing herself. “I love Jungkook.”

“I… I know. But give me a chance, please. I… I will…”

“Jongin, stop.”

They both turned to look at Sehun standing by the door, his jaw clenched. He glared at Kai, his lips tightly shut.

“No. I have to tell her—“

“Enough!”

Sera winced as Sehun’s voice broke the silence of the place. His brows were furrowed as he walked towards her and grabbed her wrist, pulling her back to the hall.

“Wait.” Kai held her other wrist and huffed. He looked around once more before meeting Sehun's cold glare. 

Sera gasped as Sehun grabbed him by the collar and pushed him back. Kai stumbled a little, exasperation evident on his face. “Wha—“

Sehun cut him off by raising one hand. He exhaled heavily and looked at Sera.

“We need to go. Namjoon just got in a car accident.”

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________