Chapter XIII

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

“Young Miss? Your parents and the Jeons are downstairs waiting for you.” Jang slid the curtains to the side the sunshine poured all over the room. Sera’s lids fluttered open and she groaned, tossing around the bed.

“I’m not feeling well, Jang.”

The old man scurried to her side and held her forehead. “No fever.”

She lifted the sheets off her face and revealed her tired face. “I’m just so tired. I had a headache last night and I couldn’t sleep well.” She lied. Jang sorrowfully looked at her and nodded. “I’ll tell them you’re sick. Rest well, I’ll send some soup.”

“Thanks Jang, you’re the best. Please don’t make them come here anymore. I’ll meet them as soon as I feel better.”

Jang smiled a little before closing the door behind him.

 

 

She heard the cars leaving the estate and a deep sigh escaped her lips. Sometimes she wondered why she had to be the dutiful girl everyone expected her to be. Why did she have to be the perfect heiress, the perfect company image?

What if she didn’t need to satisfy them?

“Hey there.” A soft knock came on the door, and she closed her eyes briefly upon recognizing the voice. Of course, just when she was thinking of those things, the perfect reminder arrives.

She felt weight on the other side of the bed. He poked her back and she sat up, looking at him with her impassive face. “What, Jeon?”

“I heard you weren’t feeling well.” He shrugged nonchalantly. She hummed a yes and pointed to the door. “Yeah, you know the way outside.”

He snorted and touched her forehead, to which she instinctively moved away with a scowl on her face. He tilted his head in disapproval. “No fever.”

“I just don’t feel well, okay?” She turned around and lied back down, burying her face on her pillow. How she wished she could bury herself too.

Maybe she thought she was hiding it perfectly, but for some reason he knew.

He also had those days when he felt like ; when all the world’s problems felt like it was resting on his shoulders.

He would feel that way from time to time, when he had something troubling him. And that was when he realized, what was troubling her?

She opened her eyes when she heard him humming. He started softly and when his lips parted to sing, he felt her cower on the sheets even more. He continued, letting himself drown with the melody.

 

God, give us the reason, youth is wasted on the young

It's hunting season and this lamb is on the run

Searching for meaning

But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?

I thought I saw you out there crying

I thought I heard you call my name

I thought I heard you out there crying

But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?

But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?

 

When he opened his eyes, she was already sitting up, looking at him innocently. He immediately noticed the dark circles under her eyes and the flush on her cheeks.

She was crying, and he knew she would hate to know that he knew.

“So, what do you think? Can I be a singer now?” He lightheartedly teased, and she turned her head away. She cleared and looked at her window.

He stood up and sat beside her on the bed. “Do you want to eat out?”

She wordlessly stood up and walked towards the bathroom. “Wait for me downstairs.” He heard her speak softly, and the door closed after her. He smiled proudly to himself as he exited the room.

 

 

He insisted on taking the bus. Sera was indignant at first, but she was too tired to argue so she let him drag her to where he wanted to go.

He grinned when he pushed the door open to a little store, and he began yelling. “Ahjumma! Ahjumma! It’s Jungkook!”

She looked at the little space curiously. He motioned for her to wait as he disappeared into a little hallway. Sera uncertainly sat down on one of the stool chairs and clasped her hands together. Soon enough Jungkook came back, an elderly woman following him with a smile on her face. “You must be Sera.”

She stood up and managed a smile and a bow. The old woman tapped Jungkook’s head and grinned. “This boy must be bringing you a lot of trouble, huh?”

“Ah, a bit.” She chuckled at how Jungkook grimaced when the woman pinched his cheek and motioned for them to sit. When she smiled, her eyes turned into slits. She gave them two glasses of hot tea and disappeared again.

Sera shot him a puzzled look and he straight away understood. “Ahjumma used to be our head maid at home.”

“She’s so… kind.”

He rolled his eyes. “To you, she is. Anyway, you have to try her spring rolls. Daebak.” She nodded and looked around. “Does she live here?”

“Yeah. This was her house before she worked for us, and she refuses to leave it.”

The ahjumma came back with a plate of spring rolls and numerous side dishes. The smile never left her face as she pulled out a chair and watched them eat. She looked so happy just watching them.

Sera’s face lit up as she took a bite, and her delighted clapping was just too happy that Sera clapped along. “This is really good!”

“Told you so.” He took a bite himself and closed his eyes in delight.

“I’m happy he finally found someone who can understand him. You know, our Kookie’s been so shy ever since he was young, but he’s this very abnormal kid when you get to know him. Don’t you agree?”

Sera nodded and looked at Jungkook who was still eating.

“Anyway, please understand if he’s subtle about his feelings. I’ll leave you two now to enjoy yourselves.”

As soon as she left, Sera stared at him warningly.

“Someone who understands you? Subtle feelings? What the hell did you tell her?” She whispered, and he recoiled a little while chewing his food. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t tell her we’re… arranged. It’ll break her.”

Her face scrunched up.

“Sera, please? I just want to make her happy. She probably heard about us on the news.” He sheepishly touched the nape of his neck, and she swore he looked so innocent for a second. She managed a weak smile and nodded. “Okay. But you owe me.”

“Oh I know.” He chuckled and extended his chopsticks with a spring roll in between. She gladly ate it whole gave him a thumbs up.

 

 

They ended up riding a ferry boat to Nami Island. Sera was enthusiastically holding their tickets in her hands. He was lining up for some hotdogs.

“Ya, here you go.” He handed her the stick and she handed him his ticket. They started walking along the long pathway of the island, along with the other visitors. It was extra cold there, but the environment was at its finest.

span

He took a big bite of his hotdog and watched her take pictures. “Have you ever been here before?”

“Of course.” She mumbled as she half-ran towards the small bridge over a pond. She stood at the middle and took some pictures.

span

He studied her from a far. Yes, he thought her really uncanny, but for some reason it didn’t bring her personality down. She was unusual in her own way, ill-tempered, as some people viewed her, but she definitely had some sides that were worth seeing.

“Jeon!”

She turned to his direction and snapped a picture. At that moment he was too dumbfounded to smile. He heard her mischievous chuckle as the picture came out, and she pranced towards him with a grin. “It’s a good picture.”

“You should’ve at least told me you were taking one.” He muttered under his breath. She shook the Polaroid photo as it became clearer. “See? It captured you at your moment.”

“And what do you mean by that?”

“Look.” She showed him the picture of him standing a few meters away from her, holding a half-eaten hotdog and staring directly at the camera.

Staring directly at her.

“Well, um, I look good.” He shrugged nonchalantly, aware of the fact that he was definitely staring at her. Would she notice?

She looked at the picture herself and tilted her head. “Hmm, you look a little surprised, but it’s a good shot. I’m keeping it.” She started walking away and he smirked as he trailed behind. “You should. You just said it’s a good shot. You must think I look handsome there.”

She glanced at him and winked. “I like the way you’re staring at me here.”

He was too flabbergasted to say something, and he was sure the blood was already rushing to his cheeks. 

 

 

They were both sitting down at one of the small open restaurants. Jungkook tapped her cheek and stood up to get their orders from the counter. She watched him go, and later did she realize that she had a little smile dancing on her lips.

She was actually having a good time.

Well, almost.

Her phone buzzed on her coat, and she fished it out, only to see a text from Kai. The events from last night played on her head, and she winced in distraught.

“I ordered a lot. I can’t risk having a beast for company right now.” He lightly teased as he laid out the paper plates and pushed it towards her. He opened the can of soda and also pushed it to her. “Eat up.”

She wasn’t listening. She was looking at her phone, her forehead creased, her lower lip caught between her teeth. He tapped his fingers against the table, and she looked up immediately. She saw the food and nodded. “Great. Thanks.” She muttered and looked back at her phone for a moment before placing it back on her coat.

“Everything okay?” He hesitantly asked. She rolled her eyes. “Of course. When is it not?”

“There you go again.” He breathed out, and she paused, brows knitted together. “What do you mean by that?”

He looked away nervously. “Nothing. Just… eat, Sera.”

“No.” She placed her chopsticks down and tugged on his arm. He finally faced her and sighed.

“I want to know.” She prompted.

“Fine.” He exhaled and stared right back at her orbs. “I know it’s not my place to pry, but I know you’re going through something.”

He was about to panic when she didn’t answer. Finally, her jaw clenched and he noticed her fists balled. “Is this why you invited me to hang out today? You pity me?”

Her tone was sharp, almost seething out the words. 

“What? No!” He protested but she already stood up. She chuckled bitterly and gave him one last look. “I don’t need anyone watching over me. I don’t need anyone pitying me.”

With that she stormed away. Jungkook looked at her figure leaving. He impulsively stood up and jogged to follow her. “Sera!”

She ignored him and continued walking.

“Park Sera!” He exasperatedly called out but she had no intention of turning back. He ran even more and stopped in front of her. Her cold eyes stared right back at his troubled ones. “I didn’t pity you.”

 “Then what?” She shot back. He closed his eyes briefly. “I don’t even know what you’re feeling right now. I don’t know what your problems are, and I don’t want to know because I know you don’t like that.”

She just looked back at him, unfazed.

“What I’m trying to say is, it’s nice to see this other side of you.”

Then it hit her.

“Don’t bottle everything in. I know you are who you are. You’re our strong little girl who has an ill-tempered attitude but I know you more than that. And sometimes, it’s good to let some of it show.”

He waited for her to say something but she was just wordlessly standing there. She pressed her lips into a thin line and looked away.

“I’m sorry, okay? I’ll take you home. Come on.” He said, tugging on her elbow. 

“O-okay.”

 

The ride home was silent. He didn’t know what to do. Was she still mad at him? But an angry Sera wasn’t quiet, right? He glanced at her from time to time, but she just seemed too detached from everything. She just looked at whatever passing view they encountered and never said a word. He guided her when they crossed the street, held the small of her back when they took the bus, and maintained a small distance as they walked.

Jang looked at him questioningly when they arrived at her house. He shrugged his hiulders at him. She mechanically removed her coat and proceeded to her room.

“What happened?” Jang asked, and Jungkook sighed. “I don’t know.”

He softly knocked at her door only to see her sitting on her couch, hugging a pillow. She didn’t even look up at him.

“I’m leaving. I’ll… see you.” He was about to close the door when he heard her faint voice. “Wait, Jeon.”

He looked at her without saying anything.

“Will you stay?”

He paused for a moment, making sure he heard her right.

“I want to… tell you everything.”

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________

double update for you guys!!!

I'm on a roll right now.

Rolling like a buffalo loljk im lame

bye