Chapter XL

His Uncanny Wife

Narrator

 

 

“So what if stock prices fell? It’s not the end of the world!” Taehyung mumbled as he grabbed a cup of coffee from the kitchen. He trudged to the living room and plopped beside Sera.

She smiled at him and went back to watching the news. Jungkook was beside her, also focused on watching. Yoongi was also there, working on something on his laptop but was also secretly listening to what the broadcaster has to say.

“Bull.” He grumbled and snapped the laptop close. “Where do they get all these rumors?”

Jungkook looked at the headline and sighed.

Park Heiress to cancel all charity programs when she takes over, insider says

“I’m not even surprised anymore.” Sera sighed and leaned her back on the couch. Taehyung squeezed her arm gently and she mustered a small smile. “Hey, I’m okay! I’m not the dragon lady for nothing.”

“Well,” Yoongi stood up and turned off the television. “They won’t stop until you prove them wrong. So you better get out there and make as much public appearances as you can, annoy the out of them, and make an even bigger name for yourself.”

Jungkook looked at his hyung and chortled. “I swear, Yoongi hyung gives the most i-don’t-give- advices.”

Yoongi just shrugged and left the room. Sera looked at Jungkook and poked his side.

“Should we make a public appearance, Jeon?”

 

 

Kai winced as he watched the endless news about Sera’s entering the company. Too much pressure had been put on her shoulders for such a short span of time that he wondered how she was. He knew she was strong, heck the strongest of his friends, but still. He wanted to call her, but she was Park Sera.

That girl was stubborn as . If she held a grudge, it’s be deeply rooted.

“Help me out, Hun.” He almost whined. He was so desperate he could beg on his knees if he had to. Sehun just gave him a smug look. “That’s your problem, man. You know Sera.”

“I just want to be okay with her. I miss her.” He muttered, looking down.

“Personally, I think it’s not a good time to be seen with her.” Sehun said as he sipped his coffee. “All eyes are on her right now, Jongin.”

Kai buried his face on his hands. “I know.”

Sehun watched his friend pull his hair out of frustration. He had to admit, he hated seeing him like that. He knew Kai was being sincere— but there were bigger problems he didn’t know of.

“I just… I just want to be with her at times like this. I’m so stupid.”

 

 

Haena grinned as Sera and Jungkook arrived at the restaurant. She enveloped Sera in a loose hug and held her shoulders. “You look good, Sera! It’s good to see you again!”

“You too, eonni.” She smiled and they walked together towards their table. Junghyun was already there, pulling out chairs for the ladies. He socked his little brother’s arm playfully. “Where have you guys been?”

“We were just chilling at Yoongi hyung’s place.” He shrugged nonchalantly, but Junghyun was looking at him teasingly. “Just chilling?”

“Cut it out, Hyun.” Haena barked and Junghyun smiled sheepishly.

She turned to Sera and placed an arm on her shoulder. “How are you holding up?”

“Why does everyone think I’m breaking down?” She groaned playfully, then waved a hand dismissively. “I’m good, better, even. It’s natural for people to talk about a nineteen-year-old working in a big company.”

Junghyun clapped his hands. “I’m so proud you’re my little sister, Sera. So. ing. Proud.” He pretended to wipe a tear and Jungkook rolled his eyes. His brother could get really overdramatic at times.

Haena glanced at the restaurant windows and looked at all of them knowingly. There were camera flashes and some shutter sounds that they all knew too well.

“There are already photographers outside? That fast?” Jungkook said, not really surprised.

“Well you wanted to have a public appearance. I kind of sent an anonymous tip that the two Jeon sons are having lunch with their fiancés.” Junghyun winked, which made all of them chuckle.

Sera raised her glass flute. “To us.”

“To us.” The rest echoed and raised their glasses.

“Oh, Sekyung-ah!” Junghyun grinned when Sekyung arrived. She looked baffled to see them there, tilting her head to the side for a moment before regaining her composure.

“Noona!” Jungkook grinned and stood up. He pulled a chair for her beside Sera. Sekyung smiled and sat down, still not saying anything. Haena grinned excitedly. “I heard you just closed a deal with some hotel chain from Thailand!”

“Oh,” Sekyung finally snapped back to reality and nodded. “Yes, but it’s not just me. My team and the—“

“Always so humble, Kyungie.” Junghyun clucked his tongue. Sekyung relaxed a little and smiled, drinking from her glass. Sera faced her and smiled. “Congratulations, eonni.”

Sekyung hesitantly looked at her before smiling a little. “Thank you.”

Junghyun watched as Sekyung ate silently as the others conversed with glee. He knew she was going through a lot, and he wanted to do everything that he could to make her feel better.

She’s family.

“How about you, Kookie? When are you planning to join the company?” Haena asked, wiggling her brows. Jungkook groaned in frustration. Sekyung actually chuckled at that.

“Our Kookie is so young.” She stated affectionately, which made Haena snicker playfully. “Oh please, Sera’s the same age.”

Sera looked at Jungkook and winked. “I just have more time in my hands. Jeon has his music to work on.”

“So you joined the company because you’re simply… bored?” It was the first time that Sekyung initiated the conversation. Sera was taken aback, but she pressed her lips together to smile.

Jungkook forced a chuckle. “Sera’s hobby, unlike others, is business.”

“I believe that the only way to cultivate growth within me and the people around me is if I take some responsibilities. I’ve always loved working, which may sound really geeky, but I do.”

The second course arrived and Junghyun cleared his throat. “Well, Kyungie is a workaholic herself. You two would get along pretty well.”

“I wasn’t in high school when I joined the company. I joined after getting a college degree, Hyun.”

Sera focused on her food. Haena noticed her discomfort and gleefully clapped her hands. “Enough about that! Let’s talk about something else. Did you guys hear about that new water park in Jeju? Well I happen to be really close with the developer so we all get lifetime passes!”

Sera glanced at Jungkook who gave him a soft smile, and suddenly everything was better.

 

 

Namjoon pinched the bridge of his nose. He had been doing that a lot lately. A grumble erupted from his throat when he heard the door open. “I’m busy.”

“It’s me.” Sehun stepped inside and handed him a cup of coffee. “Any leads?”

“None. And they’ve been releasing more rumors, which is bull. I’m afraid this will affect a larger scale of the business.” He exhaled and leaned back on his seat, coffee in hand. “You?”

Sehun shrugged and walked to the window. “Our IT specialists got their digital trail, but they say these people used some kind of new algorithm. I don’t really understand computer language.”

“Meaning,” Namjoon stretched his arms. “Still no chances of knowing who they are.”

Sehun nodded and placed his hands on his pocket. “Don’t worry, we’ll keep looking into it. How’s Sera?”

“Jungkook’s keeping her sane. How about Jongin?”

Sehun sat down and shook his head. “He’s still frustrated. He keeps on talking about her.”

“I feel bad that they can’t really talk, you know. They both need some answers.”

Sehun grimaced. “Yeah, but our little girl is pretty dense.”

“You think?” Namjoon passed him his Ipad where an article of Sera and Jungkook enjoying their time in Nami was posted. There were pictures of them holding hands, clapping along the music, and just laughing.

He exhaled. Sera was like a flickering light. She had her fair share of dark and light moments, but they came and go as they pleased. He could never really tell when. But that smile, he knew that smile when he saw it.

 

 

“Okay, that was good. We did good. Do you think that was good?” Sera hopped around beside him, looking back at the restaurant and to the parking lot uneasily.

Jungkook chuckled and held her shoulder to steady her. “Calm down. We did great.”

“Did we? Do you think more of these public appearances will help?” She bit her nails, looking up at him curiously. It was the first for him seeing her this anxious. Lately he had been seeing more and more of her, which was too much to take in but great at the same time. He liked it.

“Yup. It will. And we can attend this fundraising event tomorrow. It’s for a good cause. They’re raising money for the Kumamoto victims.”

She nodded eagerly. “Oh that! I’d attend not for the press. I want to donate.”

He smiled as he watched her jog to the car. How can people attack such a person?

“So, where to?” He asked as soon as he got out of the parking space. They were now driving through the highway. She looked at the window and thought for a while.

Actually, she really didn’t know where she wanted to go.

“Can’t we just drive around the city?” She asked. He felt her unease. He knew she was still thinking about what Sekyung had said. That she was too young. Simple statements such as that trigger her insecurities.

He reached for her hand and squeezed it gently. “Okay, honey. Anything you want.”

She rolled her eyes but let him hold her, like it was nothing new.

 

 

“Kyung, wait.” Haena caught up with Sekyung who was walking towards her car.

She turned around and smiled a little. “Haena. Where’s Junghyun? Do you want me to drive you home?”

Haena shook her head. She searched her friend’s face for any sign of opening up but it was evident that Sekyung was planning on bottling her feelings to herself.

“I just want to tell you that I know… about your real dad.”

Sekyung masked the pain and nodded.

“I’m here… if you want to talk.”

“Thank you, I appreciate it.” Sekyung mumbled. “Well, I still have work so I should get going.”

Haena nodded and watched her friend open the car door. She clenched her fist and called her once more.

“Yes?” Sekyung turned to her.

“I noticed your behavior around Sera, Kyung.”

Sekyung raised one brow. “What are you talking about?”

“You… you don’t like her. I know you, Kyung. I know when you don’t like someone.”

She watched as Sekyung looked away, not saying anything.

“You’re my best friend, and I value you so much. I want to be with you in times like this, but I respect your choice of being alone. It’s just that… I hope you don’t divert the pain to bringing other people down.”

Sekyung’s brows furrowed. “What are you trying to say?”

“Just… don’t hurt Sera, Kyung. She’s not your enemy.”

Sekyung chuckled bitterly. “I can’t believe you think that way.” She got in her car and slammed the door shut, speeding away without ever looking back.

Haena watched her friend go and exhaled.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________