Chapter II

His Uncanny Wife

Narrator

 

 

“Can we talk?”

It was break time when Jungkook held her wrist before she could scramble off to somewhere. She glared at his hold on her and he let go. “About what, in particular?”

He looked around cautiously before whispering. “Last night.”

She shrugged and walked out the room, with him following behind. “I thought it was pretty clear already.”

He sighed exasperatedly. He held her wrist again and dragged her towards an empty classroom.

She scowled as he let go. “What the hell?!”

“I’m sorry… You’re just so stubborn.”

She didn’t have time to reply because he already pulled a chair for her. She sat down and crossed her arms. “So?”

“So?” He chuckled in disbelief. “We just got fixed by our parents and all you said was ‘okay’. Now you’re saying it was pretty clear? Are you even… normal?”

She stood up, arms still crossed. “I know I’m bound to be fixed to someone sooner or later. It just happens to be with you. I don’t really care.”

He gaped at her. “How can you be so fine with this?”

“Look,” She sighed and took a step closer. “I grew up eating business talks for my meals, okay? I know how my life is bound to be donated to the business in one way or another. I believe you know that, too. You live the same life as I do.”

It took him some seconds to react. “Don’t you even want to say no?”

“And go through all the troubles of conflict and drama? No. That cliché is not for me.”

He sat down at one desk and raked his fingers through his hair. “Do you want... me to defy them?”

She shrugged as she unwrapped a gum and popped it in . “Up to you.”

He just wanted to shake the remaining sanity out of her. “So we’re getting married? That's cool for you?”

She tapped her foot impatiently. “Yup. Can I go now?”

He stood up and blocked the door. “One last thing, what will we do?”

She stared at him and closed her eyes briefly after. “We get engaged. Then we get married, live our respective lives, and get a divorce. That’s what probably is gonna happen, right?”

He nodded in understanding. Yes, it was what probably would happen anyway.

“Well, maybe…”

She smiled triumphantly as he stepped aside. “Thank goodness, I’m starving. Bye, uhm, what was your name again?”

Jungkook sighed. “Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook.”

“Ah okay.” She nodded and turned to leave, but he held her arm again.

“What is it now?” She whined. He let go and pointed to the opposite direction. “That’s where the canteen is, you’re welcome.”

“Oh.” She rolled her eyes. “Okay.”

She made her way to the canteen and Jungkook watched her. He wondered how many times she said ‘okay’ in a day.

 

 

“You’re getting married?” Jimin choked on his soda. “And to Namjoon hyung’s cousin?!” He coughed out the remnants of soda on his throat and shook his head. Jungkook closed his eyes and groaned. Yes, he thought. I can't even believe it myself.

“Is she pretty?” Taehyung grinned, poking the maknae with his toes.

Namjoon, rolled his eyes and plopped down the couch. “Of course. We have a magical gene pool.”

Yoongi remained unfazed. “You seem to be out of that gene pool. If it’s that magical.”

“Dude!” Namjoon protested, but Yoongi was already plugging his earphones in, scrolling through his Iphone. Jin shook his head and threw a pillow to the maknae.

“Tell us more about it.” He urged. Hoseok nodded as he ate his popcorn. “Yeah, tell us about her.”

Jungkook finally opened his eyes. “She’s unusual.”

Namjoon burst out in a loud guffaw. No one knew how unusual his cousin actually was but him.

The youngest ignored him and spoke again. “Well, she was totally fine with the marriage because as she said, I know how my life is bound to be donated to the business in one way or another. She’s so… unfazed about everything it worries me.”

“She’s just like that.” Namjoon replied, to which Jungkook shook his head. “No, hyung, she told me about how we’d just get divorce after or something.”

Hoseok raised a brow. “Why, don’t you want to get divorce?”

“Are you actually thinking that you’d develop some feelings?” Jin added, wiggling his eyebrows.

Jungkook reddened as he vigorously shook his head in defiance. “No! It’s just that it’s like she’s already planned everything all along. Like she knows what’s gonna happen.”

“Maybe she does….” Taehyung his chin in a not-so-deep thought.

Namjoon waved his hands. “No. She’s just really like that. She was raised to be a business tycoon, you see. She knows where she would be headed in the future, and that would be maintaining the company. She’s just enjoying her free teenage years, that’s why she chose to study abroad.”

Yoongi finally spoke again. “That’s pretty… bad-.”

“Oh, she’d love you if she heard that.” Namjoon chuckled.

Jungkook closed his eyes again. “I don’t know, she’s just so different.”

 

 

The next day was no different from the other day. It was another school day, with students swarming the campus like bees on their honey nest.

Jungkook figured out that if he ignored Sera, she'd seem to be less weird to him. The more he thought of her the more he thought her weird, so maybe he should just stop thinking.

“Jungkook-sshi, can I borrow your notes?” A classmate of theirs, someone he didn’t really know, said as she stood beside his desk. He managed a smile and handed it to her. “Sure, but please return it before the day ends.”

“Thanks.” She flashed a smile. “Actually, I was thinking… would it be okay if I ask some help from you in our recent lesson? You seemed to understand it…”

Sera was actually listening from behind. She just smirked and went back to playing with her PSP.

Jungkook bit his lower lip. “Uhm, okay.”

The girl immediately pulled a chair and sat beside him. “So, can you explain this?” She asked shyly, opening the notes to the recent pages. Jungkook cleared his throat she she pressed her body to his side. “Well, if you deduct the…”

“Wow, you have such nice hands.” She interjected. He closed his hand into a fist and chuckled feebly. “Oh, uhm, yeah.”

She smiled and touched his fingers. “Do you play the guitar?”

“Uh, no. I don’t. So, I was saying—“

“Really, but it looks like you do. And you’re—“

Jungkook stood up and pulled his hand away. The girl looked surprised but he really didn’t care. “I just remembered, I need to do something right now.”

“But the lesson…”

“I’m sure you can ask someone else.” He said and moved away from her. She pouted and looked down. “Okay, I… But’s it’s already class in fifteen minutes.”

Jungkook mentally cursed and looked around. “Yeah, but the teacher…”

She looked at him, waiting for an answer.

“The teacher asked me to show Park Sera around the school. So,” He looked at Sera who was engrossed in her game. He placed one hand on her shoulder and she looked up. “What, Jeon?”

“We need to go.” He managed to say.

“Where?” She asked, obviously irritated that she needed to pause her game. Jungkook tapped her shoulder many times to show his impatience. “The tour…”

“What tour?” She demanded.

The girl classmate was already looking at Jungkook with a disappointed look on her face. Jungkook faked a laugh and held her wrist. “Come on, Sera, don’t joke around. The teacher will scold me.”

“Wha—“

It was too late; he was already dragging her out.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________