Chapter XX

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

“Why would I miss you? You’ve been gone for like two days, Kai.”

Kai could hear the annoyance in her voice, and it amused him even more. “Just by the fact that you’re annoyed is good, pumpkin. I still mean something to you.”

“Oh my god.” She sighed. “You’re being extra cheesy it’s weird.”

He chuckled and walked to the glass walls. He took in Macau’s view and smiled to himself. “I got your egg tarts. It’ll be there later tonight.”

His smile grew bigger as he heard her squeal in delight. “Really? Kim Jongin you’re the best! I love you so much, you greasy pig!”

“I love you too.” He hummed in response. There was silence for a while so he chuckled. “Sera? Hello?”

Sera held the phone away and shakily pressed the end button.

I love you too.

She bit her lip and closed her eyes. Her heart was drumming loudly in her chest, and she didn’t know when it would go back to its normal pace.

Pathetic, I’m ing pathetic.

 

 

“I got our orders. I know you like diet coke, but they have grape soda and I know you like that too. What do you want?” Jungkook stepped out the restaurant and was about to poke her when he noticed something was off.

“Sera?” He stepped closer and turned her around.

“Grape soda. I like grape soda.” She forced a smile and exhaled shakily. His brows knitted together as he watched her struggle to keep whatever it was she didn’t want to show.

She quickly looked away and turned to the door. “Let’s go, Jeon.”

“No.” He held her wrist and pulled her back. “What happened?”

She gave him an incredulous look, to which he ignored. Her eyes couldn’t focus on him, and her hands were obviously fidgeting with her shirt. “Nothing. What the hell? I’m starving.”

“You’re usually a really good liar, but it’s not working right now.” He replied, and she bit her lip. He waited for her to reply but instead, her jaw clenched as she stared back at him.

To his surprise, her eyes turned cold. Her grip on her wrist loosened a little. “Not everything is easy, Jungkook. I can’t tell you every single detail in my life if that’s what you’re asking.”

“Se—“

“I lost my appetite. I’’ll see you.” She removed his hand on her wrist and walked away. He watched her go for a second, exasperated and annoyed. He finally heaved a deep sigh and jogged to her place. “Sera.”

“Leave me alone, Jeon. I’m in a—“

“Remember when we made a deal?” He whispered, unsure himself of what he was saying.

She looked at him hesitantly. “W-what?”

He bit his lip. “The deal to tell each other everything?”

They looked at each other few a while before she looked away, her eyes cold. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have made that deal in the first place. Clearly I can’t keep it.”

“I know.” He replied.

“Good. Now leave me alone.” She hissed and turned away.

Jungkook walked a few steps back and watched her stand there alone. He didn’t know what to do. He wanted to tell her to just tell him everything, but he knew it wasn’t that easy.

And why did he care so much? He should just leave.

Let her freeze with her gigantic pride, that brat.

All the while he was thinking of just letting her drown in her own misery and just leaving her alone. He should just step away and go home. I should just ing leave.

He woke up from his thoughts when he noticed her shoulders started shaking. He heard her soft cries and it hit him.

He couldn’t. He didn’t want to.

 

“Come here.” He pulled her to him and she tried to pull away, but he was much stronger. “Screw you and your ing pride, Park Sera.” He seethed as he wrapped his arms around her.

She cried on his chest, hitting his arms softly. “Let me go, Jeon.”

“You think you can hide everything? You think hiding what you feel will make you strong?”

“Let me ing g-go.” She muttered between cries.

“Well bummer, it won’t. And unless you learn to open up to someone, it won’t get any better. It’ll hurt even more.”

He felt her hands fall loosely on her sides. He pulled her closer and tapped her back. He had to admit, it was strange to see her cry. It was strange to see her breaking down.

“Idiot.” She managed to say.

He smiled a little when he felt her arms wrap around his back.

 

 

Sekyung frowned when she heard the soft knocking on her office door.

“What?”

Her secretary stepped inside. “I’m sorry to disturb you, but Young Miss Park is outside. She told me she has something you wanted.”

Sekyung’s brows rose. She clasped her hands together. “Can’t you see? I’m busy.”

Her secretary stood there unsurely and nodded. “I’ll tell her, Ma’am.”

Sekyung smiled to herself and leaned back on her chair. A few minutes later her secretary stepped inside again.

“What now?” She frowned.

“She says she won’t take long, Ma’am.”

“Secretary Kim, I already told you right? I’m not taking anyone right now.”

The secretary left and Sekyung spun her chair around to face the glass walls. She toyed with the pen on her fingers and smiled to herself.

When she noticed that her secretary wasn’t coming in anymore, she called for her.

“Did she leave any papers?”

The secretary shook her head. “She was going to, but she got it back.”

“What is that girl up to?” She thought as she watched the sky turn dark.

I knew she was nothing but a chaebol daughter.

 

 

Jungkook held on to his shoes as he walked side by side with Sera on the shoreline. They’ve been just walking for a few minutes already, letting silence and the misty wind take over their minds.

“Daebak.” Jungkook almost gasped as a girl in hot pants and a satin see-through shirt passed by, flaunting her curves and healthy front. Sera chuckled and slapped his arm. “Our Kookie’s growing up.”

“Oh, shut up. I’m a man.” He rolled his eyes. She snickered and sat on the sand. “Sit down, Jeon. I’m tired.”

He did and stretched his arms. “Don’t you think we’re being cheesy right now? I mean instead of going to the mall and stuff we went here. On the beach, at night time, where the starts are many and nice.”

“I know, we’re disgusting.”  She replied, smiling. “But I like it here.”

“Aigo, our Sera is softening up.” He teased and poked her side.

She swatted his hand away and sighed. “This will be our secret, okay?”

“That you like long walks on the beach?” He chuckled. She rolled her eyes and threw some sand on his legs. “Will you ever grow up?”

He shook his head and laughed. “Okay, this will be our secret.”

“Good.”

“When is… Jongin coming back?”

She closed her eyes briefly. “I don’t know.”

“Why don’t you try telling him? What if he feels the same?”

“He doesn’t. He never would. And I already told you, I won’t do anything that would jeopardize our friendship.”

He nodded. He knew if he said more, she’d end up getting more agitated that she already was.

“It’ll be hard, Sera.”

She didn’t respond. Instead, she leaned her head on his shoulder and sighed.

“You’ll be hurt.” He whispered unsurely.

“I’ll be fine.” She murmured, and he chuckled bitterly. “You won’t be fine.”

“Is that worry in your tone, Jeon?” She smiled, and he rolled his eyes. “No, it’s annoyance. Your stubbornness is killing me slowly.”

“Good.”

They sat there wordlessly when he spoke again.

“I’m serious, you’ll be hurt. You’re a real when you’re sad. Spare me.”

“If that happens, will you take me to Myeongdong and buy me ddeokbukki?”

Jungkook exhaled and shook his head. He wrapped one arm around her shoulder.

“What did I get myself into?” He muttered, and she chuckled. “You got yourself into a mess when you agreed to marry me, pabo. No backing out. Only cowards do that.”

“If I do, what will you do to me?”

“I’ll let you back out, Jeon. It’s your life. But I won’t be responsible if you regret it afterwards.”

He felt the urge to hit her head, so he did. She winced in annoyance.

“What makes you think I’ll regret it? Are you that special?”

She shrugged nonchalantly. “I’m Park ing Sera. I’m more than special.”

“Oh god why.” He groaned.

 

 

Sekyung handed her keys to the butler as she stepped inside the Jeon residence. She heard the familiar ballads that Mr. Jeon liked so much and she smiled to herself.

She was thankful for the Jeons for treating her like family. If it wasn’t for them, she would’ve been a real mess.

“Sekyung-ah! You’re here.” Mrs. Jeon smiled and gave her a brief hug. “Don't overwork yourself, young lady.” She lightly chided and poked her nose.

Sekyung smiled and took a seat on the couch. “I’m fine, eomonim. You seem busy?”

Mrs. Jeon shuffled around her work table. She chuckled delightfully and got her ipad. “I’m browsing through invitation ideas. I know our Kookie’s marriage date hasn’t been set yet, but I’m so excited I couldn’t do anything but fuss about it.”

“Is that so?” She smiled a little and looked away. “Isn’t Kook a little too young for marriage?”

“I know, I know, but I’m just so excited. They look so cute together. And they’re good friends already, it makes me so happy. Jungkook doesn’t have any female friends before, and I’m glad he’s not shy to Sera at all. Don’t you think they look good together?”

“Ah, yes. They do.”

The doors opened and Mr. Jeon walked inside the living room. “Oh, Sekyung-ah! Have you eaten?”

“I already have, Abbeonim. Thank you for the food you sent to the office.”

“No problem dear. I was worried you haven’t been eating well. You must’ve been very busy this afternoon?”

“Not really. Usual work day.” She chuckled in response. Mr. Jeon nodded and sat across her. “Really? Sera said you were really busy. The two stopped by here earlier and she left the files you asked her to get. Don’t you think she’s very diligent at what she does?”

Sekyung hesitantly received the envelope the butler handed her. She smiled at Mr. Jeon and nodded. “Of course, she’s really great.”

Her fist balled tightly beside her as she bit the insides of her cheek.

That little wench.

 

 

____________________________________________________________

I'm really sorry. I had my exams and stuff.

so sorry.

*is it too late now to say sorry?* okay stahp.

Anyway, christmas break so I'll be writing. :) Merry Christmas!