Chapter LIV

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

“You should totally wear this.”

Sera looked at Jin who was handing her a black long-sleeved gown. She really didn’t know how some of the boys ended up in her room. She just woke up and got a call from Jungkook to tell her that he was coming.

Then he barged inside her room with Yoongi, Jimin, and Jin.

“Why are you guys here again? And why are you guys suddenly choosing my dress for the gala tonight?”

Jungkook glanced at his hyungs who ignored Sera’s questions. The truth was, he was so worried last night about her safety that he decided to tell the others his suspicions. He suspected that the people targeting Sera was not just after her status in the industry, but also her life. He needed help protecting her.

So they made a pact. Someone must be beside her all the time.

Jimin chuckled when Sera buried her face on the pillow, kicking her legs up in the air. “Oh don’t fuss, Sera. We just wanted to see you. Is that so bad?”

“Hmm.” Yoongi hummed and browsed channels on the television.

Jin grinned and handed her another dress. “How about this?”

She sighed and looked at the piece of clothing. It was another long-sleeved dress that also covered her neck.

“Where are the others? Hosoek Oppa and Taehyung Oppa?”

“They’re busy talking to some people.” Jin just mumbled and took the dress away. Hoseok and Taehyung were actually checking on the gala’s security to make sure that it was safe.

“How about this?” Jin walked back and handed her another dress. Sera eyed the eldest with a weird look. “Are you serious, Oppa?”

“Why?” I think it’s nice.” He shrugged.

“That’s a scuba suit.” She rolled her eyes and he chuckled. “I’d rather you wear a scuba suit where you’re fully covered than those dresses that show your skin, young woman.”

She shook her head and jumped to Jungkook’s side on the couch. He looped one arm around her neck and nuzzled her hair.

“Ew.” Yoongi shuddered and looked away.

“How about we just go out for ice cream? I’d love that than staying here and looking at Jin Oppa attempting to cover me like a mummy tonight.”

 

 

“Thank you for this, Haena-ssi.” Sehun smiled a little at the legal documents. It was a search warrant for one of the suspected hackers.

“No problem. I’m happy to help.” She chirped and looked at Namjoon at the side of the room. He was busy looking at his phone. Dark circles rimmed under his eyes, and his lips were chaffing due to dryness.

“Namjoon-ssi, you should get some rest.” She bravely commented. Namjoon looked up and managed a small nod. “Thank you for the concern, but I can't get a proper sleep without this being resolved.”

Even Sehun felt bad with what he said. Namjoon was burying himself. It wasn’t alright at all. But no one could nag at him— he was just as stubborn as his cousin.

“Well,” Haena stood up and picked up her bag. “I better get going. I’m meeting Sekyung for lunch.” She smiled at the two before exiting the room.

When she left, Namjoon stood up and stretched his arms.

“You know what, I think she’s right. I’ll try to get some sleep. You should too, Sehun-ah.”

“Yeah. Good. See you when you’re well rested. Don’t stress too much, we’ll be able to catch them.”

Namjoon just smiled and got out of the room. He jogged to his car and watched Haena get in her car. After the car sped away, he stepped on the brakes and followed suit.

 

 

Kai tapped his foot on the tiled floors as the anxiety crept up again. He had now resulted to biting his nails, looking around him like a madman.

He looked at his phone and sighed. He really shouldn’t.

But he was stubborn. He was a big stubborn kid who couldn’t follow even his better judgment. He made a disappointed face as he looked at the text he just sent

Hey, can I you tonight at the gala? I know you’re with Jungkook now… Just… for old time’s sake?

He let out a groan of frustration. She must say yes. Please.

 

 

Namjoon stopped his car a few blocks away from the restaurant where Haena was dropped off by her driver. He waited until she was inside the restaurant and the car to speed away before he stepped out. He didn’t mean to follow her around, but when he heard that she was having lunch with Sekyung, he just had to.

He wasn’t taking any chances. His suspicions on Sekyung grew more and more every single hour, and with all the investigations going, he thought that she might break soon.

And what better way to spill than to her best friend, right?

He fixed his tie and wore his cap before entering the establishment. As expected, the two girls were seated on the corner of the restaurant that afforded them a little privacy. Luckily, the there was an empty spot two tables behind them, so he quickly made his way there and lowered his head, mindlessly scanning on the menu.

“Kyung, I’m glad you came.” Haena started softly. Sekyung managed a small smile. “Junghyun told me you wanted to talk. You could’ve just told me yourself, you know.”

“You always listen to Junghyun, so made sure.” Heana chuckled, to which Sekyung squirmed a little on her seat. “If this is about your engage—“

“It’s not about that, Kyung.”

Sekyung looked around before fixing her gaze on Haena. “Then what is this all about?”

“I know why your father died.”

Namjoon bit his lip as the group next to him erupted in laughter. He moved his chair a bit to hear more.

 

 

“Well technically, the public does not know that we got back together.” Sera muttered.

Jungkook scoffed at her. “Are you making up reasons just to go with Kai to the gala?”

She sighed and tugged on his arm. “Jeon, I know it’s a bad idea. But I hurt Jongin. And I know how he deals with pain. He understands the situation. Heck, he even helped us get back together, but that doesn’t mean he’s not hurting.”

Jungkook did not say anything. He just crossed his arms and leaned on the chair. Sera exhaled and snuggled even closer to him.

“I just… I just want you by my side, that’s all.” He said, to which she blushed a little. “I will be by your side, dimwit. And we won’t be alone. Sehun texted me too. We’ll go as a trio.”

“You should’ve said that earlier!” Jungkook said exasperatedly. She laughed and poked his cheek. “I didn’t know that would make things better.”

“It does, of course! Ugh you little pabo playing with my…”

“Your what?” She challenged, and he rolled his eyes. “Nothing. I’ll see you at the gala, okay?” He gently squeezed her shoulder.

She smiled and hesitated for a while, before finally planting a kiss on his cheeks.

 

 

“This sounds so childish, but are you spying on me, Haena?”

Haena looked down, fiddling with her clutch. The waiter arrived and gave them their orders, to which the two remained silent. As soon as he left, Sekyung pushed further.

“Tell me.” She said lowly. “Were you investigating on my past?”

“I’m sorry.” It was all that Haena could mutter.

Sekyung scoffed and sipped her water. She put the glass down carefully, controlling her growing anger.

She felt betrayed. “Why… why would you do that?”

“This might sound crazy, Kyung...”

“Oh, you don’t say?” Sekyung muttered darkly.

“I…” Haena briefly closed her eyes. “Before, when my engagement with Junghyun was announced, I received threats. I managed to get by, but I let some people do some investigating. They found nothing.”

Namjoon’s heart was speeding up. He had a feeling he would learn something.

“I was glad the threats stopped. But when the same thing started happening to Sera, I got… a hint. I never knew who was targeting me, but I might have an idea who was targeting her.”

Sekyung’s grip on her clutch tightened.

“I know you better than anyone else, Kyungie. I told you before to stay away from Sera. To not hurt her.”

That was when Sekyung’s fist pounded on the table. Some guests looked at them, but Sekyung was fixated on Haena. “You have no right to accuse me, Haena. Yes, my father died instead of Sera’s father, but I am not a monster.”

Namjoon’s eyes widened.

“I found one of your men, Sekyung. He confessed.”

“Bull.” Sekyung spat out.

“You paid him to follow Sera around and take pictures of her with Kai. You leaked Sera’s past pictures to the media. I know it all.”

Sekyung clenched her jaw. “That was be—“

“I’m not planning to tell them. You’re my best friend and I love you, Kyungie. But you have to stop. That’s what I want to tell you.”

It was silent between the two for a minute before Sekyung stood up.

“You don’t know what you’re saying. My life is messed up, but I would not go to that extent. Stop falsely accusing me.” She muttered quickly before storming out.

Namjoon watched Haena leave soon after and stood up too. He slowly walked out of the restaurant, looking round him.

He slid inside his car and sped away, his grip on the steering wheel tight.

 

Sekyung sat inside her car, her hands trembling. She watched Namjoon drive away, and immediately her face paled.

 

 

 

________________________________________________________