Chapter XIV

His Uncanny Wife

Narrator

 

If there was something Jungkook wasn’t good at, it was being open about everything. When Sera fiddled with the hem of the pillowcase she was holding, biting her lip as she sought the words to start, he realized they had one thing in common.

They were both too afraid to show to others who they really were.

“Let me start.”

She looked up and hesitantly nodded. Jungkook motioned for her to wait as he disappeared for a while. He came back with a tub of ice cream and two spoons. He opened the lid and handed her one spoon. They started eating for a minute before he finally cleared his throat. “Okay, I’m not good at this.”

“So am I.” She replied, sticking the spoon to her lips.

He chuckled and shook his head. “We must sound so stupid right now.”

She started laughing with him. When they both recovered, Jungkook cleared his throat. “So, I’m in a lot of pressure right now. I told you, my parents probably chose me to be engaged because it’s me who would probably say yes to whatever they want, right?”

She nodded.

“Well, I don’t want that, actually. Not that I don’t like you or something, okay?”

She rolled her eyes and motioned for him to go on. He heaved a deep sigh and started talking again. “Hyung left. Last time we heard from him he was in Shanghai, crashing one of his Ferraris onto a building. You see, he’s delinquent, and I don’t hate him for that. It’s just that… the responsibilities of being a Jeon child are all on me. I have to stand up for his wrongdoings. I have to be the child who can’t do anything wrong.”

“Oh, Jeon, but don’t you want to be the heir—“

“I want to sing, Sera.”

She looked at him, a little baffled. He bit his lip and looked away, too timid, but he went on. “I want to sing, I want to dance, I want to perform. I want people to hear my music.”

She didn’t say a word like he expected so he raked his fingers on his hair, a little bit of frustration showing on his face. “I’m not like you. Yes, I want to make my parents happy and help them with whatever they can, but I also have dreams of my own.”

“I… understand.” She got another spoonful of ice cream and handed the tub to him. He took it instantly and began digging in. Talking about that worn him out.

 “Well, you could…” She trailed off. Honestly, she didn’t know what to say.

He noticed her unease and tapped her cheek lightly. “We don’t have to say something. We’re just… sharing.”

She sighed in ease and nodded. “Okay, my turn.”

He adjusted his position on the couch and leaned his back in a more relaxed manner. She took a deep breath before starting.

“I’m in love with my best friend.”

“W—“

“Kai, the one you met at the ice cream parlor. Actually, I really had no intention of going back here.” She chuckled dryly. “Anyway, I have two best friends. Kai, and another boy, Sehun. I grew close to them because of the fact that their parents are also Koreans who sent them there to study the ropes of business, like me.”

She got the tub of ice cream from him but scowled a little when she noticed it was already empty. He shot her a sheepish grin and she rolled her eyes in response.

“So, yeah I’m an idiot for being in love with my player best friend. Sehun knows, and we talked about this too. I decided to get over it by coming home.”

Before he could say anything, she started again. “But he just had to follow me here.”

“Is he… in love with you too?”

She made a face. “Weren’t you listening? He’s a player. Of course it’s one-sided.”

He hummed in understanding. “Why don’t you tell him?”

“If I do that,” She stood up and got her cell phone from the bed. “I’m risking our friendship. I don’t want that.”

Jungkook his chin. “That’s a tough one.”

“Yeah.” She muttered and sat back down. “And look, he texted me a while ago. He wants me to model for him to add to his portfolio.”

“He’s a photographer?”

“Just a hobby.” She explained. “I really don’t want to because it’s really hard to be close to him.”

“What do you get in return?”

She looked at him, the idea never coming up to her. “Yeah… I never thought of that.”

He shrugged and slouched even more on the couch.

“I should ask him to go back to the US.” She muttered, and he rolled his eyes. “That’s like telling him you don’t want him here.”

“I don’t want him here, Jeon. That’s the point.” She looked at him pointedly. Jungkook sat back up and faced her. “You know what, I’ll help you.”

“How?”

“Well, I’ll come with you to that photo shoot. Or in anything that involves you two being alone. That will help, right?”

She snuggled her pillow. “Yeah, I think so. Your presence will surely help.”

“See.”

“And I can reason out that I can’t be seen with him alone it’ll spark rumors among the public. We need to be together because we’re engaged.”

He yawned and stretched his arms. “Sounds good. What do I get in return?”

She hit his chest. “You promised to help me. I helped you with that stalker of yours, right?”

“Right, that.” He muttered and relaxed on the couch. She watched him for a moment and sighed. “You know I have some friends who are into music.”

She looked at her inquisitively.

“They can help you do your music, you know, as a hobby.” She shrugged nonchalantly. She fell on the couch when he threw a pillow at her face. “Oh wow, I’d love that!”

“Okay, calm down.” She muttered, rubbing her face.

He grinned widely and socked her shoulder. “So we have a deal?”

“Yep, I think we have.” She nodded.

“Great! Now can we sleep? I’m tired.” He mumbled, stretching his legs and putting a pillow on her lap. He lied down comfortably. She scoffed, looking at him closing his eyes. “What am I? Your pillow?”

He didn’t reply, instead he just yawned.

“Don’t push it.” She mumbled and stood up.

His head fell on the couch and he winced. “Ya!”

“Sleep well, Jeon.” She pulled the blankets above her and closed her eyes. He lied down on the bed next to hers. Her eyes shot open. “What do you think are you doing?”

“Let me rest for a while.” He said sleepily.

“Fine, but don’t go near me. Don’t touch me.”

“You wish.”

 

 

Sera adjusted the straps of her backpack and looked at herself in the mirror. Her phone buzzed on her coat and she fished it out, reading the text.

Let’s hangout later. xxx

She sighed, and dialed his phone number. He answered on the third ring, his enthusiastic voice beaming.

“So, do you want to eat at this new Italian resto in Apgujeong? I heard—“

“Kai we have to talk.” She said, as emotionless as she could. She heard his voice waver a little. “O-okay, cupcake. Is there something wrong?”

“No,” She bit her lip. “Everything’s okay.”

Wow I’m such a good liar.

“Okay then. What is it about?” He chirped.

She looked at her reflection in the mirror. “Later, after school. I’m late for class.”

With that she pressed the red button.

 

“Hey there.” Sera whistled as she passed by Jungkook who was waiting for her downstairs. He gave her a nod as he swallowed a muffin whole. “This is damn good, Jang!” He mumbled with his mouth full.

Sera grabbed a muffin herself and proceeded towards the door. “Let’s go, we’re late.”

“Hmmokay.” He replied, hastily gulping his juice. Jang handed him a napkin and he smiled at him before dashing towards the door.

 

“Jeon, later.” She whispered when they were already sitting at their seats. She poked his back with a pencil and he pushed his seat a little to the back to hear her. “What about later?” He whispered back.

She bit her lip. “Kai wants to go out.”

“Okay.” He paused for a while. “What do you want me to do.”

He winced a little when she flicked his head with the pencil. “Be there, duh.”

He turned to look at her and grimaced. “You didn’t have to hit me.” He hissed and she stuck her tongue out. “I wanted to.”

“Miss Park? Mister Jeon?”

The two turned to look at the teacher who was tapping her fingers on the table, staring at them warningly. “I know you two have… some relationship but please, not in my class.”

“No, we were just—“

“We’re sorry, Seonsaengnim.” Jungkook smiled obediently and briefly touched her cheek. Her eyes went wide as the students’ eyes rounded over the small action. He smirked to himself as he turned to look at the front.

His phone buzzed and he rolled his eyes upon reading the message.

I won’t let this go, idiot.

 

 

Namjoon was already sitting with the five other boys inside the restaurant. Yoongi was talking to the waiter about their orders. Jin was still looking at the menu, and the other three were squabbling about random things.

“I mean, if you say tomatoes are fruits, then ketchup is technically a smoothie?” Taehyung’s brows met on the middle as he looked at Jimin. The latter his chin. “Oh my god….”

Hoseok suddenly grinned. “If we say oh my god, then does god say, oh my self?”

Jin wanted to slap himself with the menu. It looked sturdy enough that it could knock him out and pretend that those boys did not just talk about those things.

“We’re here.” Jungkook pulled out a chair for Sera beside her cousin and she sat down with a frown. Jungkook sat beside her and hi-fived with his hyungs.

Taehyung poked his cheek. “Hey Kook-ah. If tomatoes are fruits—“

“Oh my god, stop!” Yoongi snapped, and raked his hair in frustration. The table fell silent. Even Sera bit her lip and looked at the other boys. No one wanted an angry Yoongi. No one. 

Hoseok’s brows furrowed. He was still thinking about the ‘oh my self’ theory.

“Hyung…” Jimin started, and he froze when Yoongi shot him a glare. “One more time, and I swear I will grill the three of you alive.”

“You heard him. Shut up.” Namjoon sighed, and Jin smiled in content. Sometimes, he was actually thankful for Yoongi’s wrath. 

 

“Oh, he’s here.” Sera wiped her lips with the napkin and stood up. “Excuse me for a while.” She muttered at the guys and walked out the establishment. Taehyung stretched his neck to look at the glass windows.

“Who is that guy in that dope car?”

Jimin turned to look and smiled teasingly. “Hyung! That’s the friend, right?” He looked at Namjoon who just nodded as he ate. Jungkook looked too and his nose crinkled.

They watched as Sera talked to Kai. He was leaning on his car as he listened to her.

“Where should we go to today?” He poked her nose.

She looked back at the restaurant and met eyes with Jungkook. He nodded at her and she turned back to Kai. “Well. As much as I want to hang out, we can’t be seen alone Kkamjongie.”

“What are you talking about? We’re best friends!”

“I know.” She rolled her eyes. “But I need to help the marketing strategy of our companies through his engagement, and the public believes I am in a real romantic relationship with Jeon.”

She didn’t even shudder at the word romantic. Wow I must be really good at this putting on a show thing.

“What are they talking about?” Hoseok frowned.

Jungkook was silently observing the two as he ate. He wondered what Sera was randomly spitting out. He also observed how Kai was so at ease around her. They must be friends for a long time now.

Kai pouted a little. “This is unfair. So you can’t be seen with Sehun too?”

“Of course I can be seen with the two of you. But you see, we’re best friends and we grew up in the US, and Korea’s society is different. How we act in the US is viewed differently here.”

He nodded reluctantly and was about to pull her into his embrace when Sera stepped back. “That’s what I am talking about, Kai.”

“Right. .” He muttered incoherently. She felt sad for that; she knew Kai was just touchy because that was how he was with his friends, but it was a good excuse for her and her unwanted… feelings.

“Anyway, I was just having dinner with Oppa and his friends. Want to join?”

He shook his head and pinched his nose. “I think I’ll visit the company for a while. Dad’s been bugging me to come. Should I bring you donuts later at home?”

She managed a smile and nodded. “Okay then, Kkamjong. Let’s video chat with Sehunnie.”

“That sounds good.”

“No club parties later for my playboy friend?” She lightly teased, and he snickered, leaning a little at her. “Those days might be done for me, cupcake.” He winked and ruffled her hair before leaving.

She watched the car disappear as her brows furrowed in confusion.

“How was it?” Jungkook stepped out. She woke up from her little daze and shrugged. “Good. He bought it.”

“Great! You didn’t even need me for that.”

“Yeah.” She replied as they walked back in. “But I’m gonna need you later at home.”

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

I've been listening to Jungkook's solo songs

damn that kid has to stop

I cri