Chapter XXIV

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

Kai gripped the steering wheel tighter. If he drove faster, he’d be there by morning. He’d be just in time, he thought.

Kim Jongin, the player.

That was what they labeled him. In America, they called him Kai, the sly one. He got away with his flings in seconds just as how he got them. He was proud of his abilities, as he put it, but never did he think that he wasn’t happy. He was always cheerful, at least contented with everything in his life. He thought he had everything in place, as planned.

That was until she came home.

He started feeling different. He felt empty. It wasn’t the same without her. Sure, Sehun was still there to nag at him just like how she always did, but it was different.

She was different.

He grew up getting the things he wanted. The girls, the clothes, the cars. One way or the other, he could always get what he wanted with just a mere smile.

But with her, it was different. And he liked it. He liked it that she wasn’t like the others. She was on an entirely different level. She was difficult, but she loved her for that.

It didn’t take long before he realized that he wasn’t contented with just being friends.

“Five years in America with her, and I realize this just now.” He muttered and stepped on the gas even more.

 

 

Mr. Jeon took a sip of his coffee and placed the cup down. He unlocked his tab and browsed the news, munching on a bagel as he did.

“Have you had a good night’s sleep, Sekyung-ah?” Mrs. Jeon asked affectionately as Sekyung ate her breakfast. She smiled warmly and nodded. “Of course, eommonim.”

Mrs. Jeon continued to gush about how one should take care of their health while Sekyung ate. She always adored how Mrs. Jeon cared for others. She was like a splash of happiness anywhere she went.

The doors opened and the family butler stepped in a rush. “Master the Youn—“

“Hi Dad! Hi Mom! Oh, Kyungie!”

Sekyung looked up and her eyes widened. Mr. Jeon calmly closed his tab and chuckled dryly. “After all those years of protesting about not coming home, you suddenly show up?”

He was about to say more when Mrs. Jeon stood up. “Adeul-ah!”

“Mom, it’s not like we didn’t see each other last month.” He playfully rolled his eyes as Mrs. Jeon enveloped him in a tight hug. He hugged her back and her hair. “Your Junghyunnie is home now, Mom. Stop acting up.”

“I’m not acting up!” Mrs. Jeon hit his arm, and he laughed. Mr. Jeon clasped his hands together and motioned for him to sit. “So have you come to your senses already, my eldest son?”

“Abbeoji!” He protested and grabbed a bagel. He grinned and playfully nudged Sekyung’s foot under the table.

“Kyungie! Are you surprised?”

Sekyung woke up from her thoughts and blinked a couple of times. She managed a smile and pushed her chair back. “I… I need to go upstairs. I just remembered that I scheduled an early meeting with some directors.”

“Go ahead, dear. Drive safely, okay?”

“Yes, emmeonim.” She bowed a little. “Bye, Kyungie!” Junghyun waved as she stepped out f the room, gasping for air. She jogged to her room upstairs and closed the doors, letting the tears fall.

 

 

Kai bit his lip as he watched Jungkook hug Sera from behind. She looked so happy playing with the kids. Last time he knew, she couldn’t deal with them. But there she was, playing with them face to face, and all smiles.

He watched as she laughed. Oh, how he wanted to see that laugh so badly. He just wished he was the one making her laugh, it would’ve been so much better.

He shook away those thoughts and locked his car as he went out.

“K-Kai? Why are you here?” Sera gasped. He shrugged and looked around. “I called Jang and he told me you couldn’t come home because of the rain, so I decided to pick you up.”

“But we have our drivers…”

Kai pulled her closer and ruffled her hair. “I just miss you, punk. Show me some love!”

 

“I thought you were going to be married, Hyung?” The same kid tugged on Jungkook’s shirt as he watched Sera and Kai walk towards the volunteers. He looked down and met his inquisitive eyes. “He’s Noona’s friend, Minjae-ah.”

“Oh, he must like her a lot.” Minjae shrugged and ran to the other kids. Jungkook’s brows knitted together in confusion as his eyes wandered over to Sera and Kai. He was playfully teasing her by pinching her cheek.

Sera frowned, like she always did, and hit his arm.

“He drove all the way here?” He whispered to himself.

 

“Let’s play soccer!” Kai enthusiastically clapped at the kids. They responded with squeals and cheers as they ran to the small field. Kai began dividing the kids into two teams, grinning as he interacted with them

Sera watched as a smile tugged on her lips. “Jongin really loves kids, you know.”

Jungkook, who was standing beside her, turned his head to look at her. “Oh wow, stop drooling over your crush, Sera.”

Instead of the snarky remark he expected, she giggled lightly. “No, it’s just cute seeing him with all those kids.”

“Okay, who’s ready to play soccer?!” Kai clapped his hands as the kids ran around in excitement. She melted a bit by just observing him from afar. “Look at him, so—“

“I can play soccer too.” Jungkook cleared his throat as a little frown took over his face.

She turned to look at him as her brow rose. “What?”

“Hey, count me in!” He jogged to the field, waving his arms in the air like a kid. Sera watched him join the other team and hi-five the kids.

“Dork.” She chuckled, crossing her arms.

 

The soccer match began with Kai passing the ball to his little team members. The kids enthusiastically passed the ball around, while Jungkook’s team tried to block and steal the ball.

“I have it!” One kid from Jungkook’s team shouted as he kicked the ball to the other side of the field. Jungkook was quick to catch it with his feet, kicking it to the goal. Sera unconsciously clasped her hands together, anticipating what will happen next. When the ball finally entered the goal, she jumped up, pumping her fist. “Way to go, Jeon!”

Jungkook pushed his hair back and grinned. He gave her a thumbs-up and she winked. Kai watched them interact and clapped his hands. “Okay, one for team B, zero for team A!”

The little kids on team A sighed. Kai smiled and danced a little to cheer them up. “Don’t worry! We can still make a goal!”

Jungkook jumped around with his team in delight, hi-fiving the little kids. The game started again, with Jungkook’s team easily having the ball and passing it around. Kai was encouraging the kids with cheers as he ran across the field. The ball somehow ended up with one kid on Kai’s team, and he excitedly passed it to Kai. Kai immediately ran to the other side of the field to make a goal.

“Go Kim Jongin!” Sera cheered, and he gave her a crooked smile. He was near the goal when Jungkook stole the ball from him, grinning. He immediately ran back to the other side, but Kai was on his tail, trying to retrieve the ball. The kids were cheering loudly for their Oppas and Hyungs. Sera bit her nails in concentration.

Unknown to the two boys, the kids were already gathered with Sera, leaving them alone to compete with each other. The intent to win was visible on the two faces, with Jungkook frowning slightly, and Kai clenching his jaw.

“Go for it, Jungkook hyung!”

“Kai Oppa, you can do it!”

Sera looked at the kids and tapped her foot anxiously on the ground. The cheering around her intensified as Kai got the ball again, with Jungkook chasing behind.

“Go…. Go boys!” She managed to join in the cheer, clapping her hands.

“Goal!” Kai shouted as he kicked the ball hard. The kids rejoiced as it entered the goal. He pumped his fists on the air as the kids came running to him to embrace him. Kai’s laughter was genuine, something Sera hadn’t seen for so long. She smiled, meeting his eyes.

Jungkook wiped his sweat and jogged to her side. “Did I do great?” He nudged her side and she woke up from her thoughts, looking at him. “What?”

He frowned a little. “Nothing.”

“Kids! Break time! Come eat your snacks!”

The kids ran back to the small veranda to receive their snacks. Some gathered on the shade of the tree, some on the benches, and some on the field, like a picnic.

Kai dried his hair with a towel and grinned at her. “Can I have some water?”

Sera walked to the veranda to retrieve some water. Kai stood beside Jungkook and tapped his shoulder. “Good game, man.”

“Yeah, good game.” Jungkook nodded, as Sera came back with a water bottle. She looked at Kai and smiled again, something Jungkook wasn’t used to. She doesn’t smile a lot but now look at her, he thought. Kai grinned back and waited for her to come near.

“Her—“

“Thanks, sweetie.” Jungkook snatched the water bottle and downed its contents in seconds, spilling water all over his shirt. Kai looked at him, a little amused, and Sera gave him an absurd look. Jungkook finished the water and exhaled, wiping his lip with the back of his hand. He smiled at the two innocently and shrugged.

“I’ll… get some water.” Kai said, walking to the veranda. Sera turned to Jungkook with one brow raised. He just grinned and poked her cheek.

She looked at him pointedly.

“Sweetie, your .” She seethed and stepped on his foot. He winced and watched her storm away.

 

 

Jungkook carried his bag and shoved it inside the car. He closed the door forcefully that the driver jerked up. He muttered an apology and walked back to the shelter.

“I can’t express my gratitude enough, Youn— Jungkook.” The lady smiled and held his hands between hers. “Thank you so much. You made the kids so happy.”

Jungkook smiled, a little shy. “It’s no problem, Noona. We enjoyed our stay. Thank you. And we promise to come back for the kids.”

“Hyung!”

“Oh, Minjae!” Jungkook chuckled as he carried Minjae on his arms. “Be good, okay? Don’t give your noonas and hyungs too much headaches.”

Minjae scowled at him. “I’m a good boy!”

“I know, just saying.” Jungkook chuckled and ruffled his hair. “But hyung, can you promise me something?”

“I’ll come back, Minjae. I’m sure of it.”

“No, no!” Minjae shook his head. “Not that…”

Jungkook tilted his head curiously. “What could our Minjae want?”

Minjae bit his lip and scrunched his nose. He pointed over to Sera and Kai laughing around the other kids. “When you come back, you should already be married to noona, okay?”

Jungkook felt the blood rush to his head. “O-of course.”

“Don’t let Kai hyung take her away!”

Jungkook clamped his hand over the kid’s mouth and widened his eyes. “Ya, Minjae!”

Minjae frowned, and soon enough Jungkook let go.

“Your Kai hyung is not taking her away. They’re just friends. See?”

The two of them back at the same direction where Kai already had his arm around Sera, and for some reason, he was nuzzling his nose on her hair. “They’re just… really good friends.” Jungkook almost choked on his words.

Minjae smiled a little and poked Jungkook’s nose. “Hyung~ promise?”

He sighed and put Minjae down to the floor, and kneeled in front of him so that he was of level with his face.

“Promise.” They interlaced their pinky fingers and touched their thumbs.

Sera jogged to their place and kneeled on the grass to join them. “Hey, what do we have here? What is this pinky promise about?”

Minjae grinned. “Hyung promised to—“

“Okay, Minjae, it’s time for your nap! Let’s go!” In one swift motion he carried Minjae and ran inside, with Minjae laughing hysterically.

Sera watched them go and shook her head. “It’s like they’re the same age.”

 

 

Jungkook sighed as he rested his head on his neck pillow. Without Sera in the car, it was so quiet. He didn’t have anyone to bother, and he was running out of ideas to entertain himself, so he thought maybe sleeping would do.

He thought about Sera getting in Kai’s sleek Aston Martin and wondered when he could start driving. He wanted to drive so badly.

He closed his eyes and was about to doze off when his phone rang.

“What?” He snapped at whoever was calling, annoyed.

“Hey Jeon.”

“Sera?” He sat up. He could hear her chuckle a bit on the other line. “You sound surprised.”

He rolled his eyes. “Of course. You’re supposed to be busy with your friend.” He said, emphasizing the word friend all the more. She cleared . “Pabo, I was just checking up on you.”

“What, I could not survive a car ride back home without you?”

Sera sighed. “Dude, chill. I just wanna know what you’re up to since you’re usually really chatty with me. What’s up? Bored?”

He felt himself relax. “I was just about to sleep.”

“Okay, Mister. Go on and have your nap.”

“Where are you? Are you… okay? I mean... being with him alone and such.” He immediately asked, afraid she’d hang up just like that. He heard her ask Kai about their location. “We’re stopping by this local restaurant just outside Seoul. Don’t worry about me, douche.” She whispered the last part.

“Okay, eat a lot. We don’t want our pig to starve, don’t we?” He chuckled, looking at the passing view.

“Idiot.” She muttered. “Go to sleep, Jeon. And oh, Dad called. He told me to bring you home later for afternoon tea.”

“Okay, I’ll be there.”

“Good. See you, dork.”

With that the line went dead. Jungkook sighed and was about to sleep again when his phone began buzzing on his lap.

“What, you miss me?” He teased.

There was silence on the other line, so he frowned. “Sera?”

“Bro, are you flirting?”

“Hyung?!”

 

 

_______________________________________________________________

:)