Chapter XXXIX

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

“You know it’s funny because just a few weeks ago, we needed someone to drive us to the places we wanted to go to. But now, we both have our licenses.”

Sera just nodded and looked out the window. She gasped a little when it rolled down, the wind pleasantly touching her face.

“Thanks, Jeon.” She muttered, leaning her head on the headrest.

He chuckled. “So you literally needed some air.”

“I think I also need some food. Where are we going?” She looked at him curiously, and he grinned playfully. “Just somewhere.”

A small smile tugged on her lips as she watched him drive.

“Jeon?”

He glanced at her. “Hmm?”

“Let’s just be us today, can we?”

He just smiled and stepped on the gas pedal even more.

 

 

It was a little crowded on the ferry boat. Tourists were crowding the boat’s railings, taking pictures of the island not far ahead. Those who wanted some peace and quiet stayed inside, sitting on the side chairs and amusing themselves with the vast mirrors that covered the walls.

Sera couldn’t help but smile as she saw the view of the island. “I can’t believe we’re going back.”

“If in doubt, Nami Island.” Jungkook shrugged and tapped the seat beside him. “Sit down, will you?”

She complied and exhaled deeply. “I want to eat those huge barbecues that they sell.”

“We’ll eat everything you fancy, honey.”

She chuckled and lightly hit his arm.

When they finally arrived, Sera was prancing along the line of trees. Jungkook lazily followed, shaking his head. They went on like that until they arrived at a small shop that sold some snacks.

“This looks oddly familiar.” He whistled as they stepped inside. Sera suppressed her grin as she pulled out a chair. “I’m sorry, I think this is where I snapped at you for the very first time.”

“Yeah, horrible experience.” He groaned and met her eyes. There was a glint of playfulness there that he was grateful for. He hated seeing her sad. “I’ll get the food, so stay there.”

“Jerk treats me like his dog.” She muttered. When he arrived with different plates of snacks, she grinned and dug in. They talked of many things. From the most random to the most relevant ones.

She wiped her lip and huffed. “Okay, tell me. What bothers you the most these days?”

He thought for a while and hesitated. She chuckled and got up to transfer to the seat beside him. “Come on, let’s be honest.” She tugged on his arm, and he was left with no other choice. “You.”

She nodded slowly. “Why?”

“I’m…” He bit his lip and tried to look away. “I’m worried for you. I don’t like it when things upset you.”

When he finally had the courage to look at her, she was looking down on her lap and fidgeting with her fingers. “I’m sorry, Jeon. I know I’ve dragged not only… you, but also your family into this mess which is my life.”

He rolled his eyes and pulled her closer, placing an arm around her shoulder. “Silly. You did not do these, people are just insecure and targeting you.”

“That’s the point. I’m becoming a burden. I hate it.” She muttered.

He didn’t know the words to say so he just let her relax, her head falling on his shoulder. They stayed like that for a few minutes before she snapped back to her happy daze.

She jumped up and grabbed his hand. “Come on, we’re being boring!”

He chuckled and le her drag him. They walked around the small isle, taking in the scenery and admiring the different landmarks.

When they arrived at the small bridge decorated with soju glasses, a small smirk playe don Sera’s lips. She ran to the middle and waved him over.

“I still have that polaroid of you staring at me.” She said and he frowned, trying to hide his embarrassment. “I wasn’t!”

“Say whatever you want. Your fiancé is pretty, just admit that.”

He scoffed. “And proud, and arrogant, and a pig.”

“Still pretty.” She winked.

Just then, Jungkook’s ears perked up at the sound of music. He craned his neck and noticed a live band singing nearby. He grinned excitedly and urged her to follow him.

They clapped to the beat of the live band as they joined the small crowd of listeners. She noticed how happy he was, and it hit her. Their deal.

She promised to introduce him to her music friends in LA, but she never had the chance to do that. She remembered how music was basically his life, his passion.

“Thank you, thank you!” The vocalist bowed and the claps intensified. “Do we have anyone here who would like to render a song?”

Sera instinctively grabbed Jungkook’s arm and raised it. He shot her a look of alarm, and just when she realized what she did, the people were already cheering him to go to the stage.

“Fighting!” She mouthed, watching him getting whisked to the small platform, looking clueless.

Jungkook closed his eyes briefly. When he was finally ready, he took the mic in his hands and met her eyes. She almost flinched at how he was just staring at her.

Gentle music started, and Jungkook’s eyes were still glued to her. His lips began to move, and suddenly, it was just him in the crowd. It was just him, singing with his angelic voice, looking right through her soul.

Don’t think of anything
Don’t say anything, not even a word
Just give me a smile

I still can’t believe it
All of this seems like a dream
Don’t try to disappear

Is it true Is it true
You You
You’re so beautiful, that I’m scared
Untrue Untrue
You You You

Will you stay by my side
Will you promise me
If I let go of your hand, you’ll fly away and break
I’m scared scared scared of that

Will you stop time
If this moment passes
As though it hadn’t happened
I’m scared scared scared I’ll lose you

Butterfly like a Butterfly
Just like a Butterfly bu butterfly
Butterfly like a butterfly
Just like a Butterfly bu butterfly

 

She snapped back to reality as the claps intensified. Jungkook bowed a little and rushed to her side. She tried to calm herself and the hammering inside her chest that she couldn’t understand.

“How was it?” He asked breathlessly.

She looked away, confused as to why blood was rushing to her cheeks. “It was… t’was really good.” She stammered.

He chuckled and poked her cheek. “It was a work in progress song of mine.”

“You should… you should really expose yourself in the music scene, Jeon.” She said, guilt eating her whole. He should, but he couldn’t. He was bound to her.

He shrugged and took her hand. “Yeah, maybe.”

They walked silently for a few minutes until she stopped.

It was bothering her too much already. She had to say it. She didn't like bottling it in. He deserved some honesty after sacrificng a lot for her.

“Jeon, I’ll be blunt about this.”

She walked to a small bench and sat down, tapping the space beisde her. He sat down and looked at her curiously.

Well,” she started, not meeting his eyes. “I’ve become really dependent on you, which is not normal because I hate relying on someone.”

He bit his lips and didn't say anything.

“When I think of it, I honestly don’t know what to do if you’re not around. You're just.. you're just the person I run to every single time, you know. Somehow you know everything, and that scares me.”

He was silent before he snickered bitterly. “Are you gonna avoid me again, like a plague?”

When she looked at him he was pressing his lips together, his brows furrowed. She tried to touch his arm but he moved away. He let himself calm down before he spoke again, meeting her eyes.

“You are special to me, Sera. Not just as my partner in all this bull pretending, but more. You have a place in my life no one can ever replace. You don’t owe me anything because I stuck by your side. I... wanted to. I did not intend my presence in your life to become a bad thing. If that’s how you see it, then I can’t do anything. All I want is to see you happy.”

Sera felt her toes curl. She bit the insides of her cheek, feeling all the blood rush to her face. He was looking at her directly and the hammering inside seemed to get even more intense.

He didn’t falter with her lack of response. “I don’t know… I don’t know if I mean something to you, but I guess I should let you know.”

He finally looked away when she just bit her lip and looked down. She clenched and unclenched her fists, letting the silence and the hammering inside her eat her whole. If only the ground could her in.

Jungkook felt his world shatter all at once. Of course I mean nothing more. But it was a great step telling her, at least he didn't have to carry it all. He let it out. The feeling that had been bugging him for weeks, giving him sleepless nights, all out in the open.

“Jeon.” She said, almost barely audible.

He hesitantly looked at her. She was still looking down, unable to meet his gaze.

When she finally did, his heart skipped a beat he thought it was silly.

“You do.” She managed to say, and he tilted his head to the side, confused.

“W-What?”

She looked to the side and bit her lip. “Well you asked if you meant something to me…”

They were both silent until Jungkook shook his head and groaned. He was tired of hiding.

He let his emotions take over as he enveloped her in his arms, nuzzling his head on her hair. She was tense at first but she relaxed eventually, leaning her head on his chest. She might be questioning who she was at the moment, what she wanted, where she should begin, but she was so sure of one thing— it felt right with him.

“Do you… do you know where your heart lies?”

He was dreading to ask that question. He knew how she felt about someone, and that still haven’t changed. He knew she was confused with everything. She needed time, and he was ready to wait.

“No. N-not yet.” She closed her eyes let the steady rising and falling of his chest comfort her.

“Will you let me know if you find out?”

She pulled away and looked at him with. It wasn't her usual cold and lifeless look, it was gentle and sincere. Actually, it wasn't her to look like that. He would've laughed. But he was getting in those brown orbs staring back at him.  

“I won’t have to. You know me better that I do. Trust me, you’ll know.”

He smiled and cupped her cheeks, gently placing his lips on her forehead.

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

a treat for you guys lol