Chapter XVIII

His Uncanny Wife

 

Narrator

 

 

A red Maserati pulled over the curb of the Jeon estate. Sera slid out the driver’s seat as the car purred for the last time before the engine turned off.

She looked over the vast property and shrugged.

“Why are you here?” Jungkook almost fell off his chair as the doors opened and she stepped in. She took in the view of the big room and nodded approvingly. He sighed and threw a pillow at her direction. She caught it with her free hand and looked at him. “What, I’m not allowed to barge in your room? You always barge in mine.”

She crossed the room and plopped on the bed. “What are you up to?”

“I can’t believe you.” He muttered and arranged the piles of papers on his desk.

She rolled on her stomach and got a car magazine lingering on the nightstand. “What? Come on. You should’ve known when you agreed to be my fiancé that privacy doesn’t really mean a thing anymore.”

“Weird, just on-the-top weird.” He continued to mutter to himself. “What did I get myself into?” He finally exhaled and turned to her. She grinned at him. “Don’t look so sad, puppy. Were you working on your music?”

He nodded and plopped beside her on the bed.

“You should be used to having me around when you work, you know. We kind of made a deal.”

“I know.” He mumbled, eyes closed.

She observed him for a while. It wasn’t Jungkook to be unusually quiet.

“Okay, what’s wrong?” She closed the magazine and sat up. He didn’t respond, so she poked his stomach. He opened his eyes and stared right back at her.

She almost flinched.

“We…” She looked away; unaware why his look unnerved her so much. “We also made a deal that we’d share each other’s problems, right?”

A small smile played on his lips. “Nothing, Sera. I’m just thinking.”

“I don’t believe you, but okay.” She responded and moved away. They remained silent for a few seconds before he spoke again. “I’m just worried. I still haven’t heard from my brother.”

She finally looked at him and nodded understandingly. “Then let’s go out. The oppas won’t stop calling.”

“Okay.” He stood up and pulled her up too. “I’ll get dressed.”

“I’ll be downstairs.” She mumbled and left the room.

Jungkook watched the door close and he sighed to himself. He couldn’t tell her, of course he couldn’t.

 

Flashback

“How’s our little boy?” Sekyung gladly took her seat. Jungkook frowned a bit at her as he sat across her. “I’m a grown man, noona.”

She chuckled and pinched his cheek. “Still my little boy.”

“Have you heard from hyung?”

Sekyung shrugged and browsed over the menu. “After we broke up, all I get from him is occasional drunk texts. You know your brother, he’s probably out and about with his cars and girls.”

Jungkook sighed and bit his lip. “Why did you break up with hyung, noona? You two were so in love and—“

“Kookie, I do love your brother. I mean, the three of us grew up together, and ever since, I’ve always thought I was gonna marry him. But things change, so does people. We just realized we’re better off as friends.”

He nodded and decided to just stop prying about the topic. It was evident from her composure that she didn’t want to talk about it. The waiter arrived and they said their orders. After which, she smiled at him teasingly. “So our Kookie grew up?”

“I told you, I’m a grown man.” He replied, rolling his eyes. “Stop treating me like a kid.”

She pouted a little. “I just miss taking care of someone, you know. It’s hard being all work and work.”

He watched her for a second and realized that she was right. Sekyung’s life was all work. At such an early age, she devoted her time and youth to the company. Maybe that was the reason why she didn’t really click with his brother. His hyung was all for the fun.

“I’m glad you’re home.” He smiled. “We’ll be spending lots of time together since I’m on the merger team. And oh, Sera too and Namjoon hyung.”

“Right.”

Jungkook chuckled at the thought of Sera. “Where could that fatass be eating again now?” He shook his head and muttered. Sekyung exhaled smiled briefly. “So, you, huh? Engaged?”

“Yeah, company matters.” He shrugged.

“I’m sorry you have to do this, Jeon.”

He actually smiled genuinely. “No, it’s not like… It’s just an engagement to help in the entry strategy. And Sera… she’s a great friend.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” He smiled a little. “Weird and a little stubborn, but manageable.”

Sekyung watched him chuckle to himself and clasped her hands. “Well, I don’t know if my opinion still matters to you…”

“Are you kidding me, noona? Your opinion is everything.”

She smiled contentedly. “I don’t like that girl.”

He almost choked on his drink. “W-what? Why? I mean yeah she can be ill-tempered but Sera’s really good if you get to—“

“Come on, Kookie. It’s just a first impression, and from the rumors I’ve heard. It’ll change, maybe.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

He nodded unsurely. “Okay, but…”

“I just don’t want you to be blinded and bound to things that shouldn’t really matter to you, Kookie. Like this engagement, this friendship you have with her. Focus on what you really want. I know you want to help with the business but do you want to risk your life for it? You’re young, and full of passion. Don’t think this as a permanent thing. Just like a diversion.”

Again, he nodded. She was right, he didn’t like to be bound to things he didn’t want, but the engagement with Sera, he had to admit, was doing the company good. Could their parents be scheming marriage so soon?  

“Anyway,” She smiled and squeezed his hand. “I only want what’s best for you.”

End of Flashback

 

 

Jimin stared at Sera and snickered.

“Wow, you’re literally jumping up and down your seat. You need to chill, woman.”

Sera ignored him and just went on babbling about how she loved horror movies. She excitedly grabbed Namjoon’s arm and grinned. “Remember that time at the horror house in LA?”

“Don’t bring that up.” He muttered and leaned back on his seat. Jin, who was driving, smiled. “Bring it up, Sera. What happened in LA?”

Yoongi smirked. He liked how Sera just kept on laying out Namjoon’s past like a deck of cards. And he loved how he could use every story as a black mail or just for pure bullying purposes.

“Well, Oppa got so scared he almost—“

“I wasn’t scared. I just… I needed to… ugh, it.” He sighed exasperatedly and scooted away from her.

She grinned even more. “He almost wet his pants. A ghost surprised us and he was like ‘motherer I almost pissed! Goddamnit blah blah blah’ and disappeared. I found him about a half-hour later sitting on a bench, pale as snow.”

The boys burst out in a loud guffaw. Hoseok, Taehyung, and Jimin who were all on the back seats hi-fived with each other. “The mighty Rap Monster afraid of the ghosts. Not much of a monster, huh?” Taehyung teased.

Yoongi couldn’t help but laugh along. “The more I think of it, the more it makes me want to actually see you that scared. ing hilarious.”

Namjoon made a face and glared at his cousin. Sera just shrugged and poked his cheek. “I love you.”

“Satan.” He seethed back and looked away. Jimin jumped up from his seat that he hit his head on the car roof. He winced a little before saying, “We should visit a horror house sometime!”

“I’d love that!” Sera shared a smile with Jimin. She faced Jungkook and tapped his cheek. “Jeon, we should really enjoy this day. We’re starting work tomorrow.”

“What?” He faced her, eyes unfocused. She frowned and rolled her eyes. “Earth to the idiot, please.”

He exhaled and bopped her forehead. “Not everyone has your energy, sweetie. You’re extra happy today it’s weird.”

“Well you’re extra grumpy today it’s annoying.” She shot back.

His jaw clenched and as he looked away. “Then be annoyed. I don’t really care.”

“You’re like a PMSing woman.” She scooted away from him and leaned on to Namjoon. “ing grumpy weirdo.”

“Language.” Jin warned.

“I don’t get these two.” Hoseok shook his head. “One moment they’re like the best of friends, and one moment they’re pawns of Satan.”

Yoongi chuckled. “I think the second one fits them more.”

“Okay, who wants pizza?” Jin started. That was the moment the ride got extra noisy again.

 

“What should we do next?” Jimin rubbed his belly and a burp escaped his lips. “Oops!” He chuckled sheepishly, eyeing Yoongi who was glaring at him.

Jin hopped beside Sera. “What do you want to do?”

“The burden of deciding is up to you, since you’re the only girl.” Hoseok teased. She just shrugged and pointed to a direction. “I heard there’s this arcade not far from here.”

“Don’t make her go to an arcade just please spare me I’m out.” Namjoon started walking away but Yoongi pulled his hoodie back. He groaned in frustration. “The arcade is not the place for her.”

“And why is that…?” Taehyung urged.

Sera rolled her eyes and pulled Jin and Jimin with her. “He’s talking nonsense. What can an arcade do to a girl like me, right?”

 

 

“Please contain your fiancé.” Jimin panted, wiping the sweat from his forehead. Jungkook slightly smiled in amusement.

Taehyung immediately followed, also breathless. “She’s crazy. Namjoon hyung was right, we never should’ve brought her here. It’s like she’s high on drugs.”

“Taehyung Oppa!” Sera called from afar.

“I’m out. Tell her I went to the bathroom or something.” He murmured, running away, with Jimin following behind.

Sera glowered upon seeing Jungkook alone. “Where are they?”

“Bathroom.” He replied. “Here.” He passed her a water bottle to which she immediately downed in a few seconds. “Come on, I still have a lot of tokens!” She threw a small fit, hitting the floor with her foot. She looked around to find none of the other boys, so she faced him.

“No. You’ve been playing non-stop. Come, let’s get some rest.” He lightly chided and bopped her forehead. Sera whined again and complained when he started yanking her wrist.

“I still haven’t played that—“

“Fine, I’ll go with you,” He gave up, and she grinned. “On one condition.”

She just shot him a dangerous look.

“We go on that ride.” He smirked, pointing towards the bump car section.

 

“Why do we have to be on one car, I mean I can afford another ticket, you know.” She harrumphed as Jungkook sat her down and secured the seatbelt around her. “And why do you have to be the one driving?”

He just sighed and sat down. “You’re high on some kind of unknown energy, dear. Who knows what you’ll do? Let me drive.” He smiled cheekily, which made her turn her head away. “I hate you.”

“Let’s go!” He stepped on the pedal and started driving.

They went around the course for a while, with Sera urging Jungkook nonstop to hit the other people’s car. “What’s the purpose of bump cars if you don’t bump others?!” She screamed, but he was getting really good at ignoring her, until someone started bumping their car.

“See? Hit that motherer, Jeon!”

Jungkook looked at the driver and frowned. It was a man, just about their age. He was obviously leering at Sera, enjoying the fit she was throwing. He caught him staring and he smirked. “Hot girlfriend, dude!”

Jungkook frowned even more.

Sera lunged forward as the man hit them again. “Mind letting me get a taste of her?!”

That was it. Jungkook stepped on the pedal and made a harsh turn. He was so infuriated he hit the car endlessly. The man seemed to enjoy it even more. “Come on, man! It’s not like I’m not gonna return her. Your girl’s safe with me.”

Sera was already silent.

“Moron.” She heard Jungkook curse. She noticed his jaw clenching and his arms flexing. His face was stoic and cold. “ing moron.” He cursed again.

She hesitantly reached for his hand. “Jeon.”

She felt his muscles relax as he exhaled. She gave him a light squeeze. “Let’s just go. I’m starving.”

He nodded wordlessly.

 

 

Jungkook was sitting on a bench. Sera sat beside him and handed him a cup of banana smoothie. He gladly took it and indulged himself with the cold drink.

They sat there silently, resting, when the same man walked past them. He noticed the two of them and stopped on his tracks. “Hey.” He sneered and wiggled his eyebrows.

Jungkook looked up and glared. “What are you doing here?”

“I was just playing around, man. But my offer…”

“Get lost, will you?” Sera stood up and glared at him.

The man just smirked even more. “Feisty, I like it. You’ll be great in—“

Jungkook threw his fist on the man’s face. He stumbled on the floor, holding his nose. He looked up and was about to jump on to Jungkook, when the boys stepped in and strangled him to the floor. He protested for a while but finally gave up when he noticed seven boys were already against him.

Jungkook stepped forward and flexed his wrist. “Learn your lesson, . She’s not some toy you can play with. She’s my fiancé.”

With that the man simply nodded and staggered away, blood still pouring out of his nose.

“Jerk.” Jimin muttered. Taehyung started asking Sera questions. Namjoon was shaking his head. Yoongi started a rant about how men nowadays were losing their manners and how women should be treated with respect. Hoseok was just silently listening, and Jin was tapping Jungkook’s back.

The walk back to the car was silent. Jungkook and Sera were last, with the boys ahead of them. She finally sighed and broke the quiet. “Jeon… about a while ago…”

“He pissed me off.” He simply said.

“I know. Anyway, I was trying to say… uhm…” She lookedaround and bit her lip, obviously trying to get the words out of her lips.

He sensed her discomfort and pulled her closer to his side. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and smiled. “Some ice cream would do, brat.”

“Who said you could just put your arms around me?” She mumbled, and he just smiled knowingly.  “Me? The one who defended you and—“

“Okay, I’ll buy you ice cream just shut up.”

 

 

 

______________________________________

 

Thank you for waiting, and thank you for subbing!

BTS comeback in a few omg