Chapter XLII

His Uncanny Wife

note: you might hate this chapter im sorry

 

 

Narrator

 

 

The board of directors gathered around as the meeting started. They were browsing through the folders presented to them, some nodding and some keeping their stern expressions.

Mr. Park walked in with a stern expression himself. He hated these kinds of emergency meetings. First, they took up some of his precious time. Second, they almost never brought any good news.

“Don’t make any opening remarks. Get to the point.” He barked at the employee who was about to speak up.

Namjoon winced a little at his uncle’s tone. He had been keeping the attacks on Sera from him, but just last night he finally told his uncle about it. He was afraid the attacks on Sera might be attacks on the company too. And to be completely honest, even if he had Sehun helping him out, he was running out of ideas to counter them. He needed the big guns.

Mr. Park didn’t take it well. And from what he observed, he’s still not taking it well after a night’s rest.

“The merged subsidiary with the Jeon Group is making good progress… However, I’m afraid our company’s current situation is out of hand due to some circumstances. Continuing with this project will greatly damage every other partner we have. We need to do something.”

“And what are these circumstances that you are talking about?” Mr. Park replied.

The board member looked around hesitantly. “The Young Miss…”

“That’s complete bull!”

Namjoon stood up and rushed to his uncle’s side. “Samchon-ah, let me take over—“

“No, you sit down!” He ordered as he pushed his chair to stand up. “I know you don’t feel good about my daughter joining the company. Hell, some of you may even see her as a threat. But this company has been the Parks long before each one of you ever breathed air. If you don’t value the sanctity of the heritage that brought up this business, then you better find yourselves a new company to invest in. And as for the partnership with Jeon Group, we will respect whatever decision they make. I will make myself clear: As long as I live no one is going to bring Park Industries down.”

Silence ensued. No one dared to talk.

Mr. Park looked at Namjoon and motioned for him. They exited the conference room, leaving the board speechless.

 

 

Kai fell on his bed, closing his eyes. He knew he was making rash decisions lately. Every night he was on bars, trying to get the thought of one girl out his head. It was becoming clear that Sera was confused— if she felt something for him before, surely it was not the same now.

Jungkook came into their lives and now he can’t have what he wanted the most.

He heaved a deep sigh as he looked at the envelope on his coffee table. Their family butler told him a while ago that a package had been sent for him, but he never really gave it some thought.

Without anything else to do, he picked up the envelope and tore it open.

His hands shook as she looked at the stack of pictures one by one. The first ones were Sera with him. The next ones that followed were Sera’s recent public appearances with Jungkook.

He pulled out a note at the end and his lips quivered.

Only cowards give up.

 

 

The boys were hooting and whistling as Jungkook held Sera’s hand. They entered the private outdoor place Hoseok reserved for lunch, Jungkook rolling his eyes at his hyungs and Sera smiling sheepishly.

Everybody was there except for Namjoon who was caught up with company matters.

Actually, last night, Sera asked Hoseok if she could have lunch with them. She wanted to see the rowdy bunch— somehow they uplifted her spirits and told her everything would be okay.

They would be okay.

“You two…” Jimin wiggled his eyebrows as the two took their seats. Jungkook stuck his tongue out and Sera purposely ignored him. “What did you order, Oppa?” She turned to Taehyung who waved his index finger at her.

“No no no, hun. We didn’t order just yet. We were waiting for you!”

Yoongi grumbled. “And you guys took so long.”

Jungkook tried to explain. “Actually, traffic was—“

“Waiter!” Jin called.

Jungkook slouched on his seat, feeling neglected, and Sera chuckled patting his shoulder.

After narrating their orders the group got immersed in a variety of topics, from world economy to Taehyung’s elephant mole. There was a mixture of laughter and banters, perfectly usual for the rowdy bunch.

Sera watched Jungkook from time to time, savoring the sound of his laughter, the creases his forehead makes when he was annoyed, and the occasional lip bites he does when he was embarrassed.

He would sometimes meet her eyes too, and when he did, he would give her this crooked smile that she usually found annoying but… irresistible. He would sometimes squeeze her hand under the table, somehow telling her that he was there, and would always be there.

She loved every single second of it.

“Don’t be too chummy with each other, you’re still teenagers!” Jin shouted as he was getting in his car. The other boys were also doing the same, waving their hands and shouting their goodbyes.

Jungkook chuckled as he started the engine. Sera strapped herself in and exhaled heavily.

“Something wrong?” He asked, and she just shrugged, smiling. “I just love it every time we get together with the Oppas. It’s chaotic… but in a good way, you know?”

He nodded and started driving. “I’m glad we had this lunch out. You planned it?”

“Nope. I started the idea but it’s all Hoseok Oppa.” She mumbled and looked at the passing view. Jungkook glanced at her and a smile lingered on his lips.

“Sera?”

She leaned her head on the headrest and turned to look at him. “Hmm?”

He bit his lip; he didn’t really know what to say. “Well… I… uhm…”

“Are you trying to coax me into getting dessert?” She narrowed her stare at him. “Cause if you are, I’m up for it.”

Jungkook snickered and lightly bopped her forehead. Never mind what he was trying to say, he had the impression they would have more time together in the future. Well, he wasn’t exactly concluding, but fervently hoping.

“Okay, okay pig. Let’s go to the nearest ice cream shop.”

 

 

Namjoon’s shoulders fell when he realized that he had to tell Sera. He had to stop keeping things from her. The ongoing hacking of all her personal files and information was getting more ruthless and invasive.

It wasn’t his call now. It was her life these people were targeting.

Sehun nodded at him, assuring him that it was the right thing to do. He sighed and took his phone, dialing her number at once.

Before she could answer, Sehun’s phone buzzed. He looked at the caller id and hesitated a little.

Kim Jongin

He stepped out of the room, pressing the green button.

“Hun. I need to tell you something. You need to help me out.”

“Kai, if this is about—“

“No, no!” Kai panted on the other line. “This is urgent. Someone’s been looking into Sera. I’ve been receiving these anonymous notes… and just today I received stacks of pictures of Sera’s recent sightings with Jungkook, as well as ours.”

Sehun paused. It wasn’t just hacking of her virtual documents; these people were also following her around.

“Why are you telling me just now?!” He hissed, and Kai sighed on the other line. “Hun, please. We have to make sure Sera is safe.”

“What do you think have I been doing all this time?” He muttered, ending the call right after and rushing in the room to tell Namjoon.

 

 

Sera put down her phone and looked at the cup of ice cream in her hand. Namjoon just told her everything about the hackers trying to get something out of her company files.

He also told her how these unknown people also successfully obtained company private files.

If that was the case, sooner or later, all their trade secrets and upcoming projects will be out for the world to see. It would shred the company to pieces if that happened.

It would also affect all of their partners. As a matter of fact, even without their files going public, their partners were already being affected.

She could still remember the headlines last night. “Jeon Group stock prices fall as merged subsidiary with Park Industries progress”

And if people were really trying to get to her, destroy her, sooner or later they would do it to the people she cared the most. She couldn’t let that happen.

“Earth to Sera!” Jungkook waved his palm in front of her. She looked up to see him grinning, happily eating his ice cream.

She couldn’t afford having people targeting him. If she could still do something to protect him, she would.

Sera looked at him for a few more seconds, thinking about how he was so special. His smile was so genuine. But the longer she pursued whatever was going on, the more he would be affected. She didn’t want that. That moment she realized, she could still keep him away from the people targeting her.

She could protect him. But she had to let him go.

“Jeon.” She put the cup down and bit her lip. Tears were threatening to fall from her eyes but she held it in. After all, she was used to hiding her true feelings. The problem was she was also used to showing whatever she was hiding only to him. Damn it, she mentally cursed.

“Hmm?” He raised an eyebrow, and she looked away.

“I was thinking… about our agreement. You know, when all of this started.” She started, and he tilted his head a little to the side, confused. “What about it?”

She tapped her fingers against the table. “I just want you to know that you are… free to do what you want, okay?”

He chuckled uneasily and poked her cheek. “What are you talking about?”

“You…” She swallowed the lump forming on . “You are not bound in any way. I am not tying you down.”

He slowly understood what she meant, and he didn’t like it. “Is this… all an agreement to you? I know we started out with an agreement, but did nothing change?”

“Jeon—“

“Haven’t I made it clear that I would always be here for you?” He urged, frustration eating him inside.

Of course she knew what he meant. His words when they were on Nami were still crystal clear on her memories, and she knew they would be staying there for a really long time.

“You are special to me, Sera. Not just as my partner in all this bull pretending, but more. You have a place in my life no one can ever replace. You don’t owe me anything because I stuck by your side. I... wanted to. I did not intend my presence in your life to become a bad thing. If that’s how you see it, then I can’t do anything. All I want is to see you happy.”

She wanted to kill herself for even attempting to do what she was trying to do, but it was all for him. She didn’t want her misfortunes to be his. He didn’t want him suffering because of her.

“I… I’m just telling you that if you want to step away, please… please do.” She in a sharp breath and clenched her fists. The words tasted bitter on .

Jungkook searched her eyes for something that would tell him she was lying, or playing some joke, but she wasn’t looking at him. She was looking down.

“I asked you before… if you knew where your heart lied… I guess I know the answer now.” He managed to say. He felt everything closing in on him; it was getting difficult to breath.

His heart was pounding on his chest, it was getting uncomfortable. Blood was rushing to his head, and he couldn’t pinpoint what was hurting, really. Everything was just so messed up. He wanted to ask her why, but then he thought— why would I force someone who wasn’t feeling the same way?

He pushed the chair away and stood up. He needed air.

“Jeon…” She reached out for his hand, but he stepped back.

He met her eyes and managed a tight smile.

“It will never be with me.” He said before turning away.

Sera watched him go. She just hurt the person she treasured the most and she knew there was no turning back.

When that settled in on her, the tears started to fall.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

:(