It's watching - 13

It's watching

The rest of their shopping trip was enveloped in uncomfortable silence, neither with anything more to say. Not a word was spoken between them until they reached home, back in their tiny kitchen.

 

"Want to help me make dinner?" Jimin asked, voice low. He watched Jungkook putting away the last of the groceries, wishing that he hadn't brought up anything in the market. It was such a stupid conversation that always ended with them both feeling bad. This time it felt worse though, he felt like he had really hurt his best friend.

 

Jungkook nodded. "I guess."

 

They went about gathering ingredients for a chicken stir-fry. Only ten minutes into prepping for the dish and Jimin's guilt was weighing heavy on his shoulders. "I'm sorry, Kookie." He spoke, filling the small kitchen with his apology. Jungkook looked at him and half smiled. The younger boy shrugged.

 

"It's okay." Jungkook accepted, wishing to rid himself of the pent up guilty emotions he was holding onto himself, but he didn't know how to do that. How could he apologize without giving Jimin the answer he wanted?

 

Jimin wanted the whole experience behind them already. He couldn't stand seeing the saddened look on Jungkook's face, it felt like too much to bare witness to. His guilt didn't go away, knowing that the true reason he pried so much into Jungkook's non existent love life was a selfish one. He only wanted to understand more about it for himself so he could accurately calculate how much of a chance he could ever potentially have to tell Jungkook his feelings for him. He knew his chances of his feelings being reciprocated were close to zero, but he was never any good at holding onto a secret of his own for too long. Jimin wanted some insight on what Jungkook's reaction could be, just so he wasn't blown into a deep inescapable hole of depression in the aftermath of it all.

 

They worked in silence for another few minutes. Jimin spoke first again. "Do you want to watch a movie when we're finished with dinner?" He asked.

 

Jungkook was deep in his thoughts. He barely heard Jimin's question over the voices in his head. Just tell him. They screamed. Jungkook breathed deeply before answering. "Sure." He tried pushing the thoughts away, screaming back at them, How stupid would that be? He would walk right out, I would lose my best friend. 

 

Jimin nodded.

 

The silence was deafening and the oldest of the two was reaching his breaking point. They had never become like this before, a tension in the air between them so thick you could cut it with a knife. Their arguments never lasted longer than twenty minutes, tops. This one was different, it felt like they couldn't get back to normal. Too many things had been said, yet not enough. "Kookie, are you okay?" Jimin muttered.

 

Jungkook kept his head down, leaning back into the counter. He didn't want to answer the question, because truthfully he wasn't. He couldn't say that to Jimin, so he just shot another half smile, nodding his head.

 

"I don't believe you." Jimin pursed his lips. He wasn't trying to press, but Jungkook didn't see it that way.

 

Jungkook closed his eyes, feeling his emotions flaring up again after he had worked so hard to calm them. "Haven't we talked enough today?" He spat, not trying to sound quite as venomous as he did, but he wasn't very concerned about controlling his tone of voice either.

 

Jimin's heart dropped. It was the first time that he had ever heard harsh words come from Jungkook's mouth, and they were directed at him. His eyes pricked and he could feel the hard lump rising in his throat, tears already beginning to form. Jimin turned away from his friend. His eyes were watering like crazy and he tried to push the feeling away, but it was so strong. He'd never been spoken to like that before, not from Jungkook. He could feel the anger they were laced with. Jungkook wasn't just upset, or sad. He was angry.

 

Jimin worked to control himself, trying not to shake as a few stray tears hit his cheeks. He quickly brushed them away and tried to focus on tending to making their dinner. The wok was hot so he tossed in the ingredients. Time was passing slowly as he stared into the pan. He could feel Jungkook's presence behind him and then a heavy sigh sounded close to his ear, followed by two arms around his waist and a chin nuzzled into the crook of his neck.

 

"Jimin-ah, I'm sorry." Jungkook whispered. He hugged Jimin's waist tighter and buried his face into his back. He felt Jimin's hands come to rest on his arms, rubbing the same small comforting circles as before with his thumb.

 

Jimin dropped his head, overcome with emotion. He let his pent up tears free fall, quivering in Jungkook's embrace. "I'm sorry, Kookie." He repeated his apology through a weak shaky voice. He sniffled, trying to calm himself down again. He could feel Jungkook shaking his head and a similar shaky voice greeted his ears.

 

"You don't have to be sorry, because you're right." Jungkook was crying, holding his friend as tight as he could, scared to let go. He whimpered. "I do have a secret and I don't want to tell you, because I don't think you'll want to be my friend anymore if I do." 

 

Jimin gently pulled at Jungkook's arms around him, loosening them. He turned to face his friend, cupping the younger boys wet face in his palms. He rubbed away the tears that kept falling. "Try me."