It's watching - 24

It's watching

Her dead fingers released him and Jungkook gasped for air, coughing as he crumpled to the floor. He raised his hands and peered down at his shaking wrists to check them for evidence of the pain he had felt there, so vividly before. There was nothing, not even a scratch. He had seen her die, through her eyes, he had felt her anguish and the overwhelming burden of loneliness. He felt the blade rip into the skin of her arms and the blood that trickled down onto the floor of his kitchen. She had killed herself, in his apartment and he had watched her die.

 

"Jumi?" Jungkook whispered her name, recalling it from the scene she had shown him. That must have been what it was. She was showing him her pain, what she had suffered. He looked up to find her staring down at him with the same expression of hate still etched into her wispy features.

 

"Do you remember me now?"

 

Jungkook's eyes widened. The man from her memory, the cold, heartless man that had used her for her body and then discarded her like trash on the side of the road, his image was burned into Jungkook's mind. From his black hair to the shape of his lips, it was like looking into a mirror. He had seen himself in the mans features, identical. He felt a shiver climb up his spine. How was it possible that such a cruel and monstrous man could look so much like him. He couldn't let her continue thinking he was capable of such heartless endeavors. "It's not me. I'm not him."

 

"Liar!" She screeched. Her altered voice boomed throughout the hotel room and she faded into almost nothing, appearing back before him closer. She studied his face as he cowered under her resentful stare. "I loved you, Jongseok."

 

Jungkook shook his head at her accusations. What was that name? Was it the man that looked like him? "Jongseok?" He repeated the title and put his hands up in front of his face. She was inches away from him and he could feel her cold breath on his palms. "Is that the man you showed me?" He whispered in a voice almost as transparent as she appeared. 

 

Her face scrunched into an expression of confusion. Jungkook peered through his fingers to watch her back away from him suddenly. Her head snapped up towards the door he was leaning against and she scowled again. A low hiss sounded from the apparition and he could hear the door handle wriggling again. Jimin's voice follow through the wood of it.

 

"Jungkook." He called. "Answer me please."

 

Jungkook looked up at her floating a few feet away from him. He gulped and shook his head again. "That's not me." He muttered. Raising his voice again, Jungkook turned to speak next to the door, calling back to Jimin. "I'm here, hyung."

 

She let her hair fall back down to her shoulders and it covered her face, the same way it did when she was still breathing. A sharp scowl still played at her lips, but her eyes were hinting at something much more gloomy than hate. 

 

"I'm not him, I'm not the man that hurt you." Jungkook moved to stand to his feet as courage was building inside of him. Jimin's panicked cries drifted through the cracks in the door, begging for him to answer again, to keep talking to him. He ignored the man instead, watching her eyes as she stared into his own. "I can help you." He dropped one of his raised hands and reached out towards her. She watched his movements closely.

 

"Who are you then?" Her tone was still cold and if it were a color, it would be as icy blue as her skin. Jungkook felt her chill on his fingers again. She lowered herself to the ground and he could see the bed behind her, through her. She was fading again. 

 

Jungkook brought down his lifted hand to his side. Her skeptical curiosity was out weighing her vengeance he could tell as her expression mimicked her tale of heartbreak. She wasn't malicious. She was hurt, broken, ripped apart by a man she had trusted. A man that looked like him. "My name is Jungkook." He whispered his answer and twitched in disbelief. 

 

"Jongseok is a liar."

 

Jungkook's eyes widened at her response. He opened his mouth to fight his case, flipping through different options in his brain to prove his own identity. Just like she had come, in a sudden flicker before him, she was gone. Her last words resounded in his mind. He blinked a few times and leaned away from the door to take in the rest of the room. She had vanished, just like that, without a single trace of her presence left behind.

 

Jimin barged through the unlocked door then, his face wild with worry. He ran to Jungkook and enveloped the man in his arms. Jungkook wrapped his tired arms around Jimin's waist and let his chin rest on his shoulder. A heavy sigh blew passed his lips.

 

"Kookie." Jimin cried next to his ear. He was Jungkook's hair with one of his hands, rocking them gently. "I'm so sorry."

 

Jungkook shook his head and he could feel the wetness of Jimin's stray tears against his neck. "Why are you apologizing?" He rubbed a flattened hand on Jimin's back, up and down to comfort the other. He already knew the answer, but he was glad to feel a warm body in his arms and feel warm breath on his neck when Jimin spoke.

 

"I left you alone."

 

"That wasn't your fault." The younger man closed his eyes and lowered his voice to whisper again, "That was what she wanted."

 

Jimin pulled away then, watching Jungkook's saddened eyes meet his gaze. "You saw her?"

 

Jungkook nodded. He reached out to pull at the bottom hem of Jimin's shirt, twisting the soft fabric in his fingers. "I know why she's here."