It's watching - 16

It's watching

They ended up at a small cafe with an area to sit outside. After ordering a hot coffee for each of them, Jungkook led Jimin to a table and they took their seats across from each other. It was warming up a bit outside, but not enough so they weren't shivering. Neither one cared too much about the cold anymore, they just wanted to be outside. They warmed their exposed hands with the heat from their portable cups.

 

It was another quiet morning, only a few busy bodies scurrying through the area. They had only made it a few blocks from the apartment, but it was out of sight, not yet out of mind. 

 

"I'm thinking we can try to stay in a hotel until I can find another apartment." Jungkook sipped on his drink, cautious to avoid burning his tongue. He looked away from Jimin. "I don't really know how we can afford that, but I can't go back to that apartment."

 

Jimin sighed. He was more than unwilling to ever step foot back into the apartment again, but he also knew that Jungkook wasn't thinking straight. Of course they couldn't afford the expensive nightly fees at any hotel in their area. "What about your parents?" He inquired, knowing , through many years of experiencing his own parents reluctance to even allow a simple sleepover with some friends, there was no way Jungkook could move into his parents home. Even if it was just temporarily.

 

Jungkook shrugged. "I hadn't thought about it." He took his turn to sigh and looked back up to meet Jimin's eyes. "I honestly don't want to even ask them. They don't know anything about what's been going on lately, and they wouldn't believe it anyway."

 

Jimin remembered then a few things about Jungkook's parents. They were over achievers and they expected the same from their children. The moment Jungkook moved out on his own, they didn't expect him to come back home. They worked all the time and were realists. They didn't believe in ghosts, it was silly to them. Jimin scoffed, reminded now of how he used to think not long ago. "Okay, but Kookie," he started. "This means, we don't really have a place to go."

 

"We can find a cheap hotel-"

 

"No." Jimin interrupted. "There won't be a hotel that we can afford and still make rent on another apartment, even with our money combined."

 

Jungkook knew he was right, and any of their friends in the area wouldn't be able to accommodate them for more than a day or two. It was a waste of breath to even discuss the matter, they were fated to live in the haunted apartment until they could find another place to live. "You're right." He muttered under his breath.

 

Jimin bit at his lip. He had been nervously avoiding the topic of returning to their eerie dwelling, but after being gone for more than twenty minutes when he was pretty sure the stove was still on, he had to bring it up. "Let's go back."

 

The younger man shook his head.

 

"We have to." Jimin pushed his chair back, standing up. He moved away from the table and turned to hold out his hand for Jungkook to take. He smiled. "We can brave it, we're together." Jimin nodded at his own words before noticing that Jungkook still refused to move from his cold metal chair. He was still shaking his head.

 

Jimin dropped his arm back to his side and returned to Jungkook, having only shuffled a few steps away. He wanted it to be something about bravery, he wanted to give Jungkook some kind of strength before they were forced to go back home. He didn't want it to be about forgetfulness and leaving in fear before making sure the stove was off, but it wasn't looking like he had much of a choice. "I left the stove on, Kookie." Jimin whispered. "It could start a fire."

 

Jungkook's eyes widened with realization. Oh. He thought. That's why he wants to go home so bad. He shot Jimin a half smile and shrugged. "I guess we have to then, like you said." The younger man stood from his seat and gathered his warm coffee in his hands. He took a deep breath. "Let get going."

 

They made the short trek back home, their feet feeling like they weighed fifty pounds each. In a short five minutes, give or take, they stood in front of the apartment door. Jungkook took out his jingling keys and opened the lock. The lights were still on inside and the air smelled like stir-fry. Jimin huffed and entered the place first, Jungkook tagging along close behind him.

 

Jimin crossed the threshold into the kitchen and his gaze fell on the scattered remains of their dinner. The wok was upside down on the floor, food surrounding it. The scene looked exactly how Jungkook had described it, however brief that had been. He stared at it for another moment. Jimin heard Jungkook sigh behind him.

 

"We should clean it up." Jungkook whispered, looking quickly behind him before he gently placed his hands on Jimin's hips. He thought back to their previous encounter in the kitchen, before they were interrupted by that thing. He had almost kissed Jimin. His heart skipped a beat just thinking about it now and he nuzzled his flushed face into the shorter mans shoulder, wrapping his lanky arms around Jimin's waist. In a muffled voice he continued, "Before it attracts ants."

 

Jimin nodded, a small smile lifting his lips and he placed his hands on Jungkook's arms around him. "Mm," he agreed. "We should." He didn't want to move from the younger mans embrace, but he pulled away. The last time something happened, something ghostly, it was when they were close to each other. Intimate. Jimin was starting to feel like that was the problem. They hadn't even cleaned up this mess, he couldn't deal with another just yet. He moved to click off the stove, then reaching down to pick up the pan from the floor, clanking it into the sink. "Get the broom." Jimin instructed, turning to catch Jungkook pressed up against the wall beside the kitchen entrance, his face pink.

 

Jimin smiled again, coming to place a soft hand on one of Jungkook's heated cheeks. "It will be okay." He whispered. He knew Jungkook was nervous. Coming back so soon after what he had seen just a half an hour before was torturous. He remembered his own feelings, wanting to back himself into a corner after every supernatural encounter he experienced. He wanted to do that now, but they couldn't. It wasn't a possibility, so they had to just... Deal with it. "I'm here with you."