It's watching - 12

It's watching

After they had finished dressing and bundling up to face the relentless cold outside, the two managed to make their way to the nearest market to pick up some groceries. Inside the store, it was warm and Jungkook removed his coat and gloves, placing them in the top section of their shopping cart. Jimin did they same and pointed towards the produce aisle. "Let's go there first."

 

Jungkook nodded his head, dragging his feet in the direction of the fruits and vegetables. He had already begun hating the trip, remembering in detail why he never went shopping for food, opting to order out every time. It was such a hassle, driving to the market, walking around, choosing what you wanted to stuff in your refrigerator for the next week or so. Not to mention the aftermath, cooking. Jungkook frowned at the thought.

 

"Stop looking so beat up about picking up some groceries to make dinner. It's not the end of the world." Jimin scolded his friend. He shook his head. "Don't you think this is something you need to learn how to do, for future reference at least?"

 

Jungkook quirked an eyebrow at him. "Why would shopping be something I need to learn for future reference? I plan on ordering out for the rest of my life, thank you."

 

Jimin rolled his eyes. "Yeah?" He scoffed. "And what about when you get married, have kids or something. You think you can just make them live off of pizza and sushi all of their lives." They reached the produce section, stopping the cart. Jimin looked at Jungkook seriously. "Not to mention when your children are babies. They can't eat take out. They need formula, baby food. Other items like diapers, baby wipes, clothes, bottles, a cri-"

 

"Okay!" Jungkook's eyes were wide as he interrupted Jimin's babbling. "I get it." He sighed. "Honestly though, I don't know if I'll even have kids, or get married."

 

Jimin's shoulders dropped. His serious expression lightened as Jungkook's expression fell. "You will, you're still young. Don't tell me you're giving up yet."

 

"It's not about my age, hyung." Jungkook mumbled.

 

Jimin's lips parted slightly in surprise. It had been a while since Jungkook had called him hyung, it being a very rarely occurring thing. He only used the term when there was something wrong, the worry shone in Jimin's eyes. "What is it then?"

 

Jungkook looked away, absentmindedly reaching to pick up a small bag of oranges. He wished more than anything for the topic to just drop, it wasn't the kind of conversation he enjoyed having with Jimin. They'd been through it before, the questions about why he wouldn't date anybody, or why he wasn't even trying. He did have an answer, but it wasn't like he could just tell him, 'It's because I'm already in love with you, idiot. How can I date somebody else?'. Jungkook shook his head, trying to rid his mind of that particular thought. He couldn't be in love with Jimin. It was just a crush. "I don't know." Jungkook shrugged. "Just a feeling."

 

Jimin huffed, furrowing his brows. This kind of discussion never went further than an 'I don't know.', or an 'Can we talk about this later?' With Jungkook. Usually, reading Jungkook's emotions was an easy task, but anything to do with his friends love life was a whole different story. He always remained shut out, no matter how hard he tried to pry his way in. "Sure Jungkook." His mood had taken a detour south. It always annoyed him, not being able to understand Jungkook's feelings. "Let's just get what we came for."

 

"What did we come for?" Jungkook questioned, feeling his heart rate begin to slow. He knew Jimin was irritated with him, just as he always was when he threw vague answers at him, but he tried to shrug it off. He couldn't tell Jimin anything he wanted to know without potentially ruining their friendship and that was most definitely out of the question. He started to inch the shopping cart forward, hoping for Jimin to give him further instructions on where exactly they were going to in the produce aisle. Instead, Jimin stopped him from moving, gripping the cart handle tightly. They halted.

 

"I'm so tired of going around in circles with you Jungkook."

 

Jungkook's heart stopped for a second. He thought the conversation was over, Jimin never persisted longer than a bit of prying before he would give up and eventually get over it.

 

Jimin narrowed his eyes at his friend. "We live together now, we share a bedroom. Don't you think keeping secrets is just going to get in the way of a peaceful life?"

 

The younger of the two continued to avoid eye contact. He was at a loss for words. What could he say, what could he respond with? "I'm not trying to keep secrets, hyung." He grasped the steering bar of the cart. Jungkook could feel his eyes beginning to water and he closed them, trying to maintain his composer. He didn't want to start crying in a grocery store in front of dozens of people, but he wasn't very capable of coping with pressure. He heard his friend sighing, most likely catching on to the quivering in his voice. A warm hand landed on his shoulder, rubbing small comforting circles.

 

"Stop. Don't get upset." Jimin lowered his voice, standing closer to Jungkook and trying to bring the conversation in and away from eavesdroppers. "I just wish you wouldn't keep things from me. I know you have some kind of reason for being so reluctant to get involved with anybody." He brushed Jungkook's hair back, noticing his eyes closed. He bit at his bottom lip. "I just think that if you tell me what it is, I can help you."

 

Jungkook took in a sharp breath. His eyes snapped open and he met Jimin's stare. His jaw felt like it was locked, like he couldn't speak even if he had anything to say. He wanted to scream, You can't help me, there's nothing you can do. He shook his head, blinking back the tears threatening to fall.