It's watching - 10

It's watching

A nap was all they had meant for it to be, but almost six hours had passed since Jungkook let his mind finally catch some Zzz's. He woke up with a start, cursing himself immediately for startling Jimin awake. His friend groaned softly beside him and Jungkook realized he was still trapped by the other boy, arm still being used as a pillow. He tried to wiggle his fingers and bring back circulation to his dead arm, sighing in relief when Jimin took noticed of his struggles and lifted his head.

 

"We slept too long." Jungkook chuckled, moving to massage his limb back to life. Jimin was rubbing at his eyes. The older boy reached to his bedside table, running his sleepy hand across its surface in search of his phone. The room was almost pitch dark, only a dim light still shining through their bedroom window as the sun was going down. His phone screen light blinded him momentarily and he grumbled, "Ah, so bright."

 

Jungkook turned to lay flat in his back. "At least I don't have work or school for the next few days." He was thankful for the time off he had taken from both his studies and his part time job. Too many sleepless nights had been weighing down on him too heavily and he figured it was time for a much needed vacation. His week off was over half way finished, but he planned on making the best of what was left of it. "I have time to work on getting my sleeping schedule back on track."

 

Jimin nodded, locking his phone and turning to lay on his back as well. They stared up at the dark ceiling in thoughtful silence. Jimin only attended classes two days of the week and it wasn't a school day. Only two more days until he would have to pull himself together and present a straight face and a clear mind for learning. His job was another responsibility he had to prepare himself to deal with, but he only worked on weekends. The pay was good, though. He managed with it fine enough, always able to pay for his share of the bills.

 

Jungkook was the first to break the silence. "I'm hungry."

 

Jimin scoffed at his friend who had broken him from his thoughts just to spout his desires for food. He felt his own stomach rumble audibly just as he was about to roll his eyes and make a snide remark about Jungkook's black hole of a stomach. He bit his tongue instead just as the words were about to spill. "Mm," he responded and reached to pull the blanket from himself.

 

They both staggered into the kitchen, flipping on the bright overhead light and squinting as their eyes adjusted. "Do you have any food?" Jimin's voice was still a victim of sleep, deeper than usual. He helped himself to opening the refrigerator door and peering inside at its contents. A nearly empty carton of milk and an unopened can of soda were e only items to meet his gaze. Jimin poked his head up from behind the door, glaring at his lazy friend. "Nothing? Really?"

 

"I usually order out." Jungkook shrugged. "Let's just do that. Okay?"

 

Jimin rolled his eyes. "Boy, we are going to go shopping today. Not right now, because I'm starving, but I will show you how to stock a kitchen."

 

~~~

 

The two finished their second 'breakfast' of the day, tossing their empty containers in the kitchen trash can. It had been a quiet, peaceful kind of evening. Nothing out of the ordinary had happened, no strange noises or whispers. Not even a flicker from the Television. That sage was really kicking their ghost problem in the . Jungkook smiled. "I think I'm going to hit up the shower. Then maybe we can take that trip to the market down the street and you can teach me your shopping ways."

 

Jimin chuckled. "Yeah, that's a plan." He watched Jungkook move from the sofa to head toward the bathroom, planning on following the leader and catching a quick shower himself before they hit the town. He sunk down into the cushions behind him, letting himself become absorbed into the show Jungkook had left playing on the Television. Just as he relaxed into the freed space of the couch, a quiet whisper stole his attention away from the Television. He reached for the remote, clicking it off to listen. His blood ran cold, but he managed to roll his eyes anyway. Not again.

 

A moment of silence passed with nothing filling up the quiet except for the distant sounds of water spewing from the shower head in the bathroom. Then, the soft feminine voice came again, a bit louder this time. "Here." The word drifted to his ears again, the same word as before.

 

Jimin held his breath again, staying as still as a statue. He could barely hear the word, but he had caught it again. The same message, here. He gripped at the arm of the sofa, about to run like a criminal to the bathroom door and force Jungkook to let him in. He remembered as his feet were ready to slide across the wooden floors as if they were made of ice instead, that he had been the one to suggest that they start being brave. Not showing any fear to whatever it was loving along side them in their apartment. The voice sounded once more. It didn't repeat itself this time. "Why?"

 

It was a question. Why? 

 

Jimin swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat. He stayed seated for what felt like a thousand years, listening until his body was trembling. He couldn't take it anymore, he was scared. Hearing voices is not normal. Jimin thought to himself as he pulled his shaking limbs and torso from the cushioned seat. He didn't run, like he wished to, but walked calmly to the bathroom door, giving it a few audible raps.

 

"I'm almost done." Jungkook responded and he heard the water turn off. Jimin knocked on the door again, urgency to not be alone anymore filling his mind and controlling his actions. He knocked one more time.

 

Jungkook swung open the door, confusion in his face, but nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. His chest was glistening under the bright bathroom lights, still wet from his shower. Jimin watched a bead of water trail down the center of his friends abdomen. "U-um." He stuttered, suddenly losing his train of thought, almost entirely forgetting about the reason he had so obnoxiously been knocking at the bathroom door. He couldn't seem to catch himself to pull his eyes away from the muscles that rippled throughout the younger boys chest and arms. "A noise." He finally managed to share.

 

"A noise?" Jungkook repeated him, twisting his words into a question. "You heard something again?" His heart sank, all his hopes had been placed on finding a self reliant solution to their problems. It was crumbling before him, not even a day passing before his dream was being crushed.

 

Jimin gulped, tearing his eyes away from Jungkook's bare skin and finding an interest in the floor. He had lost a lot of concentration for the topic of ghostly encounters, Jungkook's body proving to be a major distraction. There was definitely nothing friendly about the way Jungkook was making him feel right now. He tried his best to shoo the thoughts away and answer his friends questions. "Uh," he began, shaking his head and bringing himself back to the conversation. "Yes. I heard her again."

 

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows. "Her? The same voice you heard before?"

 

Jimin nodded at him, still refusing eye contact as he recalled his latest encounter with the supernatural. 

 

The younger boy felt a cold shiver attack his spine. He wrapped his arms around his own torso to held keep himself warm. Jungkook bit at his lip for a moment before asking again, "What did she say?"

 

Jimin sighed to the ground. He lifted his eyes, glancing towards the sofa. Why do these strange occurrences always happen to me? Why is Jungkook always somewhere else when they happen? Why don't they ever happen to him while he's alone? His thoughts were racing, but he in a sharp breath and released it. "Why." Jimin nodded at his own answer. "She said, why?"