It's watching - 18

It's watching

With a small suitcase in each of their hands, they packed them in the back of Jungkook's car. Jungkook brought his free hands up to his eyes, rubbing away as much sleep from them as he possibly could.

 

"A few nights in a hotel shouldn't kill our budget completely." Jimin mumbled, taking the car keys from his pocket and offering them for Jungkook to take. "Are you okay to drive? There's one about a mile from here that goes for a decent price per night. We can try there first."

 

Jungkook groaned. "You drive." He said waving his hand and stumbling away from the rear of his car towards the passenger side. Jimin's eyes widened. He had never driven Jungkook's car before, never even had the chance. It was something the younger man cherished and didn't let anybody control but himself, the fairly new Corolla being a gift from Jungkook's late grandfather when he moved out on his own. They had been close, and the man had since passed away, which only made it even more special. Jimin shrugged, accepting it as his only chance to prove how good of a driver he really was. Jungkook must have been too tired to care.

 

They got into the vehicle and Jimin started its engine. It roared to life, subsiding to a soft hum. He sat for a few moments, letting the engine warm and the heater kick in to rid them of the persistent cold. He'd felt enough of it in the last ten minutes to last him a lifetime and Jimin was completely done with the feeling.

 

"Does it have free breakfast?" Jungkook suddenly spoke, causing Jimin to jump a little from the breaking of silence.

 

Jimin nodded. "I think so."

 

"Okay." Jungkook leaned his head back into the headrest on his seat, closing his eyes. He didn't completely understand why they were leaving so suddenly, in the middle of the night, but he didn't care either. He was ready to get far, far away from the dreaded apartment. It had become more of a nuisance than a home.

 

They pulled out of the parking garage, heading down a long stretch of dead road. Nobody was awake in their unpopulated area at almost five in the morning. It took Jimin five minutes or so to locate the bright hotel sign he was searching for. He turned into the parking lot and found a space to pull into, turning off the car and looking to Jungkook. The man was breathing slowly, a tall tell sign that he was fast asleep. Jimin hated to wake him, but a nice and warm, ghost free bed was waiting for him inside. He gently shook Jungkook's shoulder and watched him jolt awake.

 

"We're here." Jimin chuckled, instantly feeling more relaxed with some distance between himself and the apartment. Jungkook blinked up at him before scooting himself back up from his slouched down position. He looked forward and saw a large, three or four story building before him. It was hard to completely distinguish through a thick fog that had settled in the few minutes that he had been asleep.

 

They stepped out into the cold and Jungkook peered up at the early sky. It was almost daylight, just another rounded hour to go. The sky was crowded with snow clouds, ready to release their winder wonderland at any moment. He shivered at the thought and went to retrieve his hastily packed suitcase from the trunk of his car. A wave of curiosity hit him then as he wondered what had spark the sudden abandonment of the apartment. Jungkook made a note to ask Jimin when they settled in a room.

 

Check in was quick and easy, aside from the curious stare from the front desk clerk. It was odd to come looking for a hotel room so early in the morning, but he didn't ask any questions, only pointing the two to their room. "Second floor, room 203." He said with a polite smile and handed them a couple of key cards. They conjoint rely bowed their thanks and trudged off towards the elevator.

 

The interior was much nicer than how it appeared from outside, what they could make out through the thick fog that surrounded it. It was bright inside, cheerfully painted an array of uplifting pastel blues and greens. It was the kind of hotel you would like to visit in the spring or summer, but they didn't have the energy to confine themselves to the winter theme, even if they wanted to. A little color warmth could do them some good.

 

A lengthy trip down another bright hallway took them to their room. Jimin had bought them a few nights stay to get away from the eerie mess they had left behind in their home. He pushed the thought of the place from his mind as he inserted the key card, waiting for a green blink of approval before opening the heavy door. Jungkook had been completely out of it when he was speaking to the clerk, paying for their room. He didn't even run it past the younger man if it was okay for them to book a room with a single bed, but he hoped that Jungkook wouldn't mind. It wasn't much cheaper for two, but he would leave that part out.

 

They heaved their bags into the room and placed them in the closet right off of the entrance. A small bathroom was situated across from it. Jungkook was the first to bee line it to the bed, wanting to drown himself in the comforts of not having to worry about an interrupted sleep. He paused as he entered the expanse of the room, noticing only one bed in the middle of it.

 

"Yeah," Jimin mumbled, rubbing a hand on the back of his neck as he noticed Jungkook's confusion. "It was, uh.. More expensive for two beds."

 

"Ah." Jungkook responded. He slowly made it to the side of the bed. He pulled back the covers and peered up at Jimin from under his eyelashes. "That makes sense." He sat down on the exposed bed sheet and slid his legs underneath the lifted blankets. Jungkook maneuvered himself into a comfortable position and crossed his arms behind his head. "I just thought you didn't want to sleep next to me anymore. That's all."

 

Jimin's eyes dropped down to the floor. He knew that Jungkook was getting that impression, but he hadn't been able to do anything about it. He always felt her eyes watching them, and now he knew why. He's mine. The icy words sounded in his head. He had noticed the change in Jungkook's demeanor, the sadness that had built up in his eyes. Jimin sighed and shuffled to the opposite side of the bed, not bothering with the covers and sitting down on top of them.

 

"That's not it." The older of the two whispered. "Not at all."

 

Jungkook bit his lip and raised both of his eyebrows. "That's what it looked like."

 

Jimin sighed again, heavier this time. He turned to face Jungkook more directly, crossing his legs Indian style in front of himself. "This might sound silly," he started, fidgeting with his thumbs. "But that thing, the woman, that's haunting our apartment. She wants you."

 

Jungkook's eyes widened.

 

"She has some kind of, claim on you. When we touch, when we're close," Jimin stopped then, reaching out to take Jungkook's hand in both of his. His traced small, soft lines onto Jungkook's fingers. "She gets mad."

 

Jungkook's eyebrows furrowed together. He didn't really understand what Jimin was trying to tell him. "How can you know that?"

 

Jimin shook his head, averting his eyes for a moment to break their stare. It was hard to recount things that disturbed him. He could still feel her chill, her frozen fingers in detail on his face. He could feel her weight as she held him down and her breath as it seeped into his ear. "She told me." He shivered.

 

"She told you? When?"

 

"Before we left, when I woke you." Jimin looked back at Jungkook. He could see the deep concern etched into every corner of the others face. His voice felt far away from his body when he spoke again, quoting the message he had been so evidently warned with. "She told me, 'he's mine'." Jimin's breath hitched and he held tighter to Jungkook's hand, lacing their fingers together. "She wants you. She wants me gone."